Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The news from lake wobegon. & RealPlayer questions.

by crowsfoot / March 20, 2004 9:19 AM PST

Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion

This week we're rebroadcasting a live show from St. Paul. (new page - 3/20/04)

The news from lake wobegon. (RealAudio - .ram file download)

If you can find a text script please let me know. I've never trusted Real. What do you think of Real? Do you have RealPlayer? Is there a non-spyware version? I know, "Get over yourself, Bob!" Anyway, the news is pretty funny this week.

B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The news from lake wobegon. & RealPlayer questions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The news from lake wobegon. & RealPlayer questions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:The news from lake wobegon. & RealPlayer questions.
by Rolway / March 20, 2004 9:46 AM PST

Hi Bob

I use both Real Player and Media Player.

Your link "the news from lake wobegon" came in loud and clear on Real Player. Can't help with a text script. Must be something to configure in Real player.

I mainly use Media Player because its configured to use with my Audio Grabber.

Have not noticed any spyware connected with Real Player. I have on Media Player. But, useing SpyBot search and Destroy and blocking it, I do not get it anymore. Also, by blocking it, it did not effect operation of Media Player.

I like Media player the best. Hope this info helps

george

Collapse -
Old versions of real player...
by Dick White / March 20, 2004 11:27 PM PST

The newer versions of Real Player are spyware infested bloatware, IMO. And it is nearly impossible ot install without all the default tracking cookie ad-serving "features" turned on (and some can't be turned off at all). However, because there is a lot of real-format media out there, you can't avoid it. Here is a link to the real archive for older versions. I believe version 8 was the last one before they really crapped it up (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).
http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

dw

Collapse -
A great freebie, ****. *FREE*, you listening, Bob?
by Rosalie / March 21, 2004 1:43 AM PST

SpywareBlaster

SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

The program lists what seems like hundreds of spyware, I opted to check them all and have experienced no problems (you can always go back and uncheck any you want). Real is listed twice, not sure just what it refers to.

Although it's free I would strongly suggest you send the man a donations for a really great little program.

Collapse -
Rosalie, George & ****. Free GOOOD! ~(_:(l)
by crowsfoot / March 21, 2004 6:32 AM PST

Rosalie, there's an "Immunize" button in SpyBot S&D. I think it does the same thing. No installs. Not real sure about this. It says "506 bad products are now blocked"... Oh! now I see it. SpyBot recommends SpywareBlaster right on the Immunize page. Thanks Rosalie... A funny thing. Windows just popped up a warning about the SpywareBlaster site. It says: "Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?" hummmm.

WILL IT NEVER END!?! Me lose brain?

I think it's the PayPal donations button that has the missing security certificate revocation. Yep, I just refreshed and it is Paypal. I'm sure my musings are so very entertaining. Eh? So I guess I'll get SpywareBlaster and then RealPlayer 8 and tie up my brickin' brackin' phone line for the next two days or so. A lot of players will play Real files once you have the componants they need. In other words, you got'a get RealPlayer. I think.

I'm gon'a play around in Mandrake Linux and see if the pirates over there haven't hacked out the right codex's for .ram.

Have a great Sunday and thanks again. And thank you George & ****.

Collapse -
I hope it all comes together for you real soon, Bob. ;-) Maybe after ..
by Rosalie / March 21, 2004 6:49 AM PST

the elections?

Yes you have to have Real installed to play .ra or .ram files, however, I'm not sure about other players being able to play those extentions instead if you have Real. I also perfer Windows Media Player although I have to admit the newest Real is darn good!

Collapse -
Et tu? The punny bones 'round here... Ahhh! After the elections... :-) nt

Collapse -
Re:Old versions of real player...
by Josh K / March 23, 2004 12:01 AM PST

Thanks, ****! I've been avoiding Real video files because I know what a nuisance the newer versions of RealPlayer are. Your link was just what I've been looking for!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Old versions of real player...
by gearup / March 23, 2004 1:52 AM PST

G2 is completely free of junk. It is,I believe version 6 sans Realjukebox. Also the version of 8 supplied as a Netscape plug-in by Netscape is also spyware free at least as far as Spybot and AdAware are concerned.
Anyway goodluck with it Josh!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Old versions of real player...
by Josh K / March 23, 2004 2:11 AM PST

I installed version 8 and no sign of "realsched.exe" which is the adware applet that pops up those "important messages" on your screen and recreates itself if you try to delete it.

Collapse -
My question below answered. (I HATE dial-up!) Thanks, Josh. nt
by crowsfoot / March 23, 2004 2:22 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Re:Old versions of real player...
by crowsfoot / March 23, 2004 2:11 AM PST

Hi Josh,

(if I can get my reply in the right place here. missed a minute ago.)

**** recommends RealPlayer 8. I seem to remember that somewhere around 7 is where they started cycling banner ads. Which one are you going get?

I still haven't tried .ra & .ram files in Mandrake.

Collapse -
Re: ver. 8
by Dick White / March 23, 2004 10:27 PM PST

My reason for suggesting version 8 is because I've found that some of the streaming video out there (news feeds, etc.) just won't play in ver. 7 or earlier. As the various evil empires tend to do, they've jiggered the format so you have no choice but step ever deeper into their lair. At this point, the ads that scroll in the little box in the corner of the ver. 8 player are not my preference, but are tolerable because I just ignore them; however, the newer RealOne and RealPlayer10 are too much for me. The nettlesome part is that you have to go into the preferences dialog every 30 days and turn off the "check for a newer version and throw large flashing banners all over the screen until that idiot end user clicks for the free automatic upgrade." Why is it so difficult to keep the marketing jackals at bay...

dw

Collapse -
Re:Re: ver. 8
by Roger NC / March 24, 2004 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: ver. 8

Someone linked to a page recently, news video I think it was, in a heated thread I think.

It insisted you use WMP9 or the Newest Realone, nothing else would work.

Well, I've not seen the page yet, and probably won't see any like that for a while yet.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:Re: ver. 8
by crowsfoot / March 26, 2004 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: ver. 8

Hi ****,

Thanks for your help. The last couple days I've been trying to figure out how to see .ram without Real at all. Surely this is a prime target for the code crackers out there and someone has no doubt done it. I'll keep looking.

Collapse -
Re:The news from lake wobegon. & RealPlayer questions.
by Edward ODaniel / March 21, 2004 12:40 AM PST
Collapse -
You just can't resist, can you Ed. :-) Thanks, bud.
by crowsfoot / March 21, 2004 4:48 AM PST

I'd hoped to quote you a bit from today's News. And though I have gotten to add many cookies to my "block" list, other than subscribing to the newsletter I can't find a FREEE text right now. Anyway, it rambled round to get there, but ended up with some girl from highschool sitting on his lap in the last stall in the boys room and a teacher demanding he "Come out so's we can get a look at you, Son." The moral was that warm socks and a few good memories is all you really need. A pretty good chuckle.

Collapse -
You're RIGHT Bob ;-)...
by Edward ODaniel / March 22, 2004 8:16 AM PST

No free texts but buying it might be well worth it.

have you ever read any Patrick McManus? If you like Woebegon Lake you would LOVE him.
http://www.salesstar.com/mcmanus.html

His stories used to appear in some of the oputdoor mags such as Field and Stream and Outdoor Life

Matter of fact here is a link to subscribing to Outdoor Life and at the bottom of the page it indicates he is still writing for them.
http://www.abusinessbee.com/magazines/itmB00005N7S0.htm

Here is a sample http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/newsandfacts/lastlaugh/article/0,13285,518045,00.html

and a few more

Collapse -
Re:You're rIGHT Bob ;-)...
by crowsfoot / March 22, 2004 12:44 PM PST

Yep, I used to get Field and Stream & Outdoor Life and a few others. I would read about the great pike fishing in Manitoba, and then I'd take my Shakespeare and a Mepps or two and me and my buddy Anthony would reek havoc on the bluegills and redears and a few catfishs in Whiterock Creek which ran just the other side of railroad tracks. Whiterock is one of those high walled, flat bottomed, white chalk creekbeds with lots of nautilus fossils. When it rains it rages, but most of the time it's a string of semi-stagnate pools. We'd walk and wade probably a mile or two casting in front of us. One old guy who lived on the creek would pay 50

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by crowsfoot / March 23, 2004 1:57 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT)Deleted at posters request.
by Roger NC / March 23, 2004 6:08 AM PST
Collapse -
I think Real is close to being a virus.
by Kiddpeat / March 23, 2004 2:00 AM PST

When it installs, it tries to put itself everywhere imaginable. I detest it, but tolerate it if it stays, basically, invisible. I can't believe the EU is basing a decision on Real.

Collapse -
Re:I think Real is close to being a virus.
by Josh K / March 23, 2004 10:50 PM PST

Now HERE is something upon which we can agree. I had RealOne player installed awhile back and it put shortcuts to itself EVERYWHERE. Very annoying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?