Samsung forum

General discussion

The new Samsung HT-WS1 soundbar

by Paleale11 / April 5, 2009 2:27 PM PDT

I just saw the new Samsung HT-WS1 sound bar, 2 speaker 5.1 virtual surround sound speaker bar with a wireless subwoofer at Best Buy today. I really like the looks of it but tried to get one of the sales persons to tell me about it But as usual they had no clue. I could not really try it out because it was hooked up to a end cap display with a loop of Samsung ads playing on the display. Plus I could not find the settings or the remote for it. Has anyone seen or played with this yet? If so what do you think of it? I am thinking about this for my bedroom mounted under my ln40A650. Your thoughts please.

Thanks
Paleale

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The new Samsung HT-WS1 soundbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The new Samsung HT-WS1 soundbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Paleale11 / April 8, 2009 10:36 AM PDT

Anyone ?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2009 2:51 PM PDT

Paleale11,

It's a new product that just recently arrived, so it may not be in a lot of homes yet. But I'll be happy to bump it up. If you have any technical questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HT-W51G Samsung soundbar
by AladdinSane111 / April 10, 2009 12:27 PM PDT

Hi all...

Is there any way I can connect some sort of tuner, or perhaps even use the FM tuner in my Samsung MP3 player, to obtain FM radio with this new soundbar via Bluetooth?

Please inform, when you can.

Thanx...

Peace!<-AladdinSane-

Collapse -
HT-W51G Samsung soundbar
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 10, 2009 4:51 PM PDT

AladdinSane111,

You could use an audio input that has a 3.5mm headphone jack, and do it through your mp3 player. I believe that would be possible. You'd need an RCA audio input.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Many thanx!!!
by AladdinSane111 / April 11, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

Mr. Samsung:
Forgive my ignornace, but that "sounds" complicated. Is it? I won't keep bugging you, so fear not...but an RCA audio input is an alien sounding piece, so to speak...Please elaborate, friend...have pity on a beginner audiophile...LOLOLOL...

Thanx, mate...

Peace!<-AladdinSane111-

Collapse -
Many thanx!!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2009 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Many thanx!!!

AladdinSane111,

By all means, keep "bugging" me. Explaining technology is what this is all about.

An RCA audio cord normally has a red and white input on each side. In your case, since you'll be plugging your mp3 player into the one end, the headphone jack (3.5mm) to RCA (red and white audio wires) where I think the soundbar has an audio input.

You can't use Bluetooth because the FM tuner uses the headphone jack for an antenna, so that part would have to be wired. It may be possible to stream regular movies and music through it, but let me check on that.

--HDTech

--HDTech

Collapse -
Forgive my typo: The HT-W5S1
by AladdinSane111 / April 10, 2009 12:30 PM PDT

Forgive my typo, friend...but I'm sure you know what I refer to-

Thanx again...

Peace!

Collapse -
Soundbar size
by karelnu / August 13, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

Because the sound of our LE40A856 is terrible I want to buy this Samsung soundbar. But, the soundbar is to high, it doesn't fit between tv and tv's standard foot. This foot is to large and to low. Mounting the tv on the wall isn't possible. Anyone any suggestions? A soundbar that's also a tv foot?

Collapse -
Soundbar size
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2009 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Soundbar size

karelnu,

There's no tabletop foot that I know of, unfortunately. It was designed to be mounted flush with the wall.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung HT WS Soundbar
by lbarnac / August 19, 2009 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Soundbar size

The soundbar comes with a foot that will sit in front of your TV. The
only problem we have with it there is that it the remote sensor on the TV is very close to the top so you just have to lift the remote up and point to get it to respond. We have DirectTV satelite system that we use the remote most of the time and it points at the satelite receiver under the TV so it's not much of a problem for us. It looks great there. It greatly enhanced the sound of our TV as we were terribly disappointed in the sound quality of the Samsung Luxia 6000. But this really helps. It would be nice if they would add some controls so you can control the levels but it offers 4 different sound options that you should be able to find one that sounds good to you.

Collapse -
Make sure you give it a good listen before buying...
by zildjianlm / April 8, 2009 11:02 PM PDT

Hello - I just bought this from best buy yesterday, and it sounded ok in the store, but horrible in my apartment. Very tinny without bass, and them boomy when the sub would kick in for low frequencies. Also, it almost seemed like there was a delay with the sub to the sound was not perfectly synced. I'm returning it today (total no-brainer) because my tv speakers (Samsung LN-S4692D) honestly sound much better than the HT-WS1. Sorry for the negative report, but you'll thank me!

Collapse -
Not what I hoped for.
by sick_x / April 11, 2009 1:57 PM PDT

I just bought this today 4/11/09 from my local Best Buy and I would have to agree with -zildjianlm- on the opinions. I've spend the past 7 hours trying to get it to sound better with no luck. With every movie I tried the bass would cut in and out almost like the bass had to be a certain volume before the subwoofer would kick in, and then when it did kick in, it was extremely loud. I had to turn the volume basically to the max in order to hear the dialogue as well. Of course when the action started going you have to turn it down because the bass and effects are too loud and you still cant hear the dialogue very well. It would probably help a little if there was a subwoofer volume control. I'm returning it tomorrow but have yet to decide if I'm going to try another, hoping this one is defective, or go for another brand/model altogether.

Tech: Is there a reason why the bass would cut in and out randomly? I currently have a full 5.1 speaker surround system and would test them back to back using the same sections of movies to see if my ears were playing tricks on me. My 5.1 never missed a beat and definitely had continuous sound from the sub. Even if it was barely audible there was still vibration but the soundbar's subwoofer would have bass then go completely lifeless, almost like power was lost, only to kick back in a few moments later. The blue "link" light was always on so I know it's connected right. It just sounds unnatural with the bass going off and on.

Collapse -
Soundbar
by Paleale11 / April 11, 2009 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Not what I hoped for.

I just tried to buy this at Best Buy today but they only had it in TOC grey. I wanted red. I am so hoping that you guys had bad units Because the looks of this speaker system would do my tv so good mounted on my wall, I have the tv mounted on a swivel mount and I already figured out how to mount the speaker under my tv hooked up to the swivel mount. If this turns out to a dud, I am thinking about getting the Bose CineMate digital home theater speaker system which would only be about 100 bucks more. Please let me know how you like it....

Paleale

Collapse -
Not what I hoped for.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2009 6:43 PM PDT

sick_x,

I'm not sure why the sub would lose connection. With Bluetooth devices, sometimes it's a distance/interference issue. Where was it when it lost connection?

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Everywhere
by sick_x / April 13, 2009 9:51 PM PDT

I had tried placing the subwoofer everywhere in my living room including directly next to the sound bar. I returned it to Best Buy yesterday and the home theater guy hooked it up and experienced the same thing as well as noticing the volume is limited. I just got a refund. I don't think it is a problem with Samsung quality, just that the system has a lack of adjustability options.

Collapse -
Speaker
by Paleale11 / April 16, 2009 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Everywhere

Is the Volume limited or can you adjust it with the tv output? also can you tweak the settings with the EQ that is built in most Samsung tv's, and will it use those settings in the toslink output? One question for HD Tech is the TOC Red in a limited production? All I can seem to find is TOC Grey.

Collapse -
Samsung HT-W1 Surround Sound Bar
by lbarnac / August 19, 2009 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Everywhere

We just purchased this soundbar to enhance our Samsung UNB6000 Luxia LED TV sound. We love the TV but the sound quality was really bad. So we added the sound bar and we love it! We do have it in a small room and what a difference it made. It would be nice to be able to adjust the amount of bass in certain situations but we set it to music and watched a movie and it sounded great! Hope Samsung eventually will improve the quality of their sound in their TV's. You spend a couple thousand dollars on a TV and then to be disappointed in the sound, you have to spend more money to make it sound good. Anyway in the right circumstances, I would recommend this sound bar.

Collapse -
Samsung HT-W1 Surround Sound Bar
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 19, 2009 5:13 PM PDT

lbarnac,

I appreciate the feedback, and I'm happy to hear you found a solution.

The televisions for flat panels leaves very little room for speakers. Traditionally on a CRT television, and particularly the projection CRTs of yesterday had plenty of ample room to put speakers. With flat panels, there are variations of about an inch to work with. I know it doesn't solve the problem, and we're constantly looking at ways to improve the design, but I at least wanted to explain why it is the way it is.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sound Bar
by Paleale11 / April 28, 2009 2:37 PM PDT

Well I received the sound bar on Monday and I am SAD to report that this speaker is a dud, I have had the same problems as the above. What a disappointment. Sub cuts in and out, It seems that it can not decode the signal fast enough and send it to the sub so it does not send any signal. the sub is not losing connection the link light stays on it is just not receiving info, or it is receiving to much info like voice coming thru the sub. when the sub does work it sounds very muddled. I had it hooked up using the toslink cable coming from the TV and coming from the hd box. Same results, also had it hooked up with the RCA cord and same thing. HD Tech any options for this to work. What have you heard on your side? I already put it back in the box but I am willing to try something else. Please Help.

Paleale

Collapse -
Bump
by Paleale11 / April 30, 2009 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound Bar

Bump

Collapse -
thanks for the heads up
by mamontano / April 30, 2009 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound Bar

I kind of figured this system would be lacking. No hdmi and anynet +
for what they are charging. They just can't keep up with sony in this
department. May just go ahead and get the Sony HT-CT100 when it finally drops down to last christmas prices unless samsung can come up with something in comparison. Wish they would try to do a little better in the audio department. Still studying the samsung HT-AS730
for another application but not hearing the greatest about it as well.

Collapse -
Any Word
by Paleale11 / May 2, 2009 2:58 PM PDT

HD Tech any word if there is a fix for this sound bar, if not I need to take it back and get something else. It a shame because this looks so nice with the Toc TV.

Paleale

Collapse -
Any Word
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 2, 2009 4:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Any Word

Paleale11,

I apologize for the time it has taken me to respond to this. What I can say at this point is that there is likely a faulty board that sends the subwoofer's signal, and I believe a repair can fix that.

At this point, sending it into service may be the best option.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RECALL!!
by sick_x / May 3, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

If everyone that has bought this so far is having the same issue and it is a fualty circuit board, then wouldn't that mean the product is defective??? Samsung should initiate a recall if that is the case. Why would everyone that buys this want to have to turn around & send it off for circuit board replacement? Just my thoughts.

Collapse -
No....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2009 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: RECALL!!

sick_x,

Because there are 3-5 members here that have the issue out of thousands of units that have likely sold thus far, not "everybody". We cover it under warranty for any problems - related or unrelated for that reason.

I suggested it might be a circuit board issue - but without inspecting the unit, it's difficult to determine exactly what the cause could be, and yes, we'll stand behind our product, fix it, replace it or in some cases, even upgrade or refund it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
returned my soundbar
by hemanrulez / May 5, 2009 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: No....

FWIW, I returned my Soundbar. I was probably one of the first people to buy it off Amazon and it matches my new UN40B6000 TV, but the soundbar itself is horrible. I've had the same problems everyone else is having of the subwoofer cutting in and out. Just that point makes it unusable. According to some of the Samsung mod's this might be something that can be fixed, but I'd rather not return it and have it ever happen again (especially when I have people over).
Another issue that I was having with the soundbar was that there is a small fan inside the subwoofer and every time there is no sound its shuts off and when there is sound it turns on again, so when you're changing channels it sounds like an engine is revving. Very disappointing espcially since I love my Samsung LED TV, but this soundbar looks like it was rushed to market and not really consumer ready just yet.

Save some money and buy a Sony Soundbar instead. I ended up buying a Denon soundbar which was on a crazy sale on Amazon which brought it down to the same price as the Samusng soundbar and was a no-brainer for me or else I would have gone with the Sony Soundbar too instead.

Trust me, skip this soundbar and save yourself some headaches!

Collapse -
Sound Bar Issues
by bobpcfl / June 9, 2009 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: returned my soundbar

I had similar problems with the wireless sound bar not working as well as being unable to connect to my Linksys router and the internet via my home computer. Apparently there was a conflict between the wireless frequency on the sound bar system and the Linksys wireless router. I contacted Linksys support and they walked me thorough changing the channel settings that my home wireless internet operates on. The problem was corrected in about 10 minutes and everything seems to be working fine.

Collapse -
Wireless Interference
by gillsfan07430 / December 29, 2009 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: Sound Bar Issues

I was experiencing interference and lost wireless connections to my PS3 and laptop when soundbar was on. I was about to return and I read bobpcfl reply below. I changed my Access Point to Channel 12 and hey presto. PS3 network and netbook connections now connect when soundbar is on. Thank you.

Collapse -
Samsung HT-W1 Sound Bar
by lbarnac / August 19, 2009 5:43 AM PDT

We just purchased this sound bar and so far so good. Hope that Samsung will eventually improve the quality of sound on the TV so we don't have to add something to enhance the sound. We love our new Luxia 6000 LED TV but were very disappointed in the quality of the sound. Now for my question on the sound bar. There is a light that comes on in the middle of the sound bar when you turn it off. Is there anyway to turn that light off? Always conscious of energy saving and don't understand the reason for the light. Any idea? Thanks,

Collapse -
Samsung HT-W1 Sound Bar
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 19, 2009 5:19 PM PDT

lbarnac,

There is not a way to turn off the standby light. The unit uses minimal power to display the standby light, and I can't imagine it would impact the power consumption in the average household (but I agree, every little bit helps!). It's an aesthetic part of the unit; I don't know of any other way to explain the "reason" for the light.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?