Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

the new rover T.V pvp

by shorty_c / August 16, 2006 1:30 PM PDT

i was wondering if cnet could do a review of this product.and if anyone else has heard of it. its a new product from a company called doghouse electronics. You can watch TV shows, anytime, anywhere
Record shows directly from your TV to your RoverTv, it has a Built-in timer to catch your shows while you're away.Unlimited, external memory - transfer files to and from your RoverTv to your Mac or PC, and has Tune in FM digital. Listen now or record and listen later. it comes in 3.5 big screen or 4inch wide screen.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the new rover T.V pvp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the new rover T.V pvp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rover TV PMP
by dhitchco / August 29, 2006 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: the new rover T.V pvp

I was contemplating buying a video Ipod for christmas 2005, but held off. I really wanted a more "video-centric" product. In July 2006, I bought the 16:9 "big screen" formatted Rover TV and really like it for the form factor and picture quality even at angles.

Yes, the unit only has a 2GB SD card, but that's fine for recording the occaisional TV show, etc not for my entire video library. It would be nice to figure out how to plug a USB hard drive into this thing....

Anyways, the company has been good thus far with a couple of glitches...1) The headphone jack is wiggly and "scratchy", 2) my unit came with only the 2GB card (where both a 1GB and 2GB were promised to early buyers), and 3) the user documentation was awful. The company has promised to replace my unit and has fixed the documentation.

The menu navigation is intuitive if you're PC-literate, but I'd not want to sell this to a newbie.

ps: I do NOT believe there is a way to record via a "timer" function....But it is nice having DIRECT analog (VCR or DVD) recording directly into the Rover. The resulting MPEG-4 file ends up in a non-video directory (under "recorder") not with other videos, but the Rover has built-in file "move" functions.....

Collapse -
update to Rover TV experience
by dhitchco / September 14, 2006 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Rover TV PMP

Well,
I've had my RoverTV for several weeks now, and can say that this indeed is a good personal media player and that it is really "video-centric" as opposed to even a video Ipod, which is "audio-centric".

The screen is big, bright; sound is good. I can record TV directly off the AV output jacks into Rover's built-in MP4 compressed files. My current firmware doesn't have the DVR timer functions yet, but it's been promised for a upgrade.

The RoverTV does need some sort of a case and easel stand. It makes for a great tray-table video player (my wife uses it during her chemotherapy sessions...uugh!) but it makes her days go by faster watching shows I've recorded. I also can download video files from my PC including MP4 and AVI files that I've recorded on my PC's All-in-Wonder TV tuner board.

I need to search around for more SD cards (now up to 4GB) as I'll put music on one, photos on another, and video shows on a 3rd....

Collapse -
Video record quality?
by Red_Z / September 16, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

Can you post a small video sample of the recording quality? I'm interested in using this as a video recorder but want to confirm the quality. If you have anything recorded at the highest setting (I believe this is MPEG-4, VGA, 30 fps), I would be very interested in seeing.

Did you purchase directly from Rover online? How long did it take to get it?

Collapse -
RoverTV internal video recording quality
by dhitchco / September 18, 2006 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Video record quality?

Red,
I recorded the same TV channel directly through the analog input jacks into the Rover TV and captured a few secords in their three different "recording" quality modes. The resulting files are all in ASF format.

When I play those files back on the Rover, all three qualities do suffer from modest pixelation, so it's not the same as playing a MPEG-2 file.

So, the high quality file (about 34 secs) is 8.9MB
the medium quality file (35 secs) is 4.9MB
and the low-quality recording (32 secs) is 2.4MB

I did order my unit from them online in July. It did show up in a couple of weeks, but I now understand that the company is swamped. It's tough to get an e-mail response, but try the phone. They owe me a firmware upgrade to allow for the built-in "timer" recording function. Instead, I record TV shows with my PC running at the ATI All-in-Wonder board.

Collapse -
Rovertv samples?
by Red_Z / September 18, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

Thanks! Sounds like the exact comparison I'm looking for. Unless I'm missing something, I couldn't find the actual link for the files. Did you post somewhere? Mabye YouTube would be a good place? Thanks!
Red_Z

Collapse -
More RoverTV input
by agelonjones / October 17, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Rovertv samples?

I also bought the RoverTV, and I really like it. I am able to set the built in timer and record directly to the device. The only draw back to this is that the television/tuner has to be on the station I want to record. I also found a company in China that produces them and purchased one directly from them for quite a bit less. So, I now have two and haven't decided what to do with the second one or if I should start importing them myself. I do have the instructions saved as a word file if someone needs it.

Collapse -
CNET review of RoverTV
by Jasmineflower / October 17, 2006 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: the new rover T.V pvp
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?