Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The new Oreck XL21 or the Bissell Lift-off Rev. 35 ft. cord

by Dazzlewithmagic / March 3, 2006 3:42 PM PST

Because of extenuating circumstances, I went beyond their 30 day trial. I have not used the large vacuum, but I finally put the small vac to the test. I don't know what Consumer Reports is talking about, because the suction is great. I'd like to see a full bag indicator. Oreck has been wonderful! I told them to just pick up the package, but I might just take their offer to wait until April 1; however, I'll have to pay another $50 (refundable if returned). I received a free lamp to keep.
It is in the top 10 in CR. It has a 21 year warranty, with free tune-ups; the store is close-by, too. Is it worth $700, though. I was thinking of getting the new Bissell Lift Off from Amazon with the 35 in. cord. I had an earlier model, but my fiance absconded it after it sat by the front door for months. Turned out is was easy to put together.
I explained to Oreck that the instructions for the upright may be easy for most people, but I have problems with my hands. If my fiance finds out how much it costs, he would be very angry, although I'd pay the $50 a mo. which is a lot of money for me. The vacuum is in the computer room, hidden by boxes.
Anyone have this model; what do you think? I love the little model, esp. in this crowded apt. and the mess that my pet birds, and my pet fiance make (he dropped bird seed on the carpet months ago.) My Hoover is on recall and I'm waiting for him to take it to Sears; it has a bag.
Meanwhile, I'm using my Sanyo transformax and the Sanyo bagless. The tool suction is not too great on the bagless, and it has a bulky part that gets in the way. However, the parts are metal, and snap in.
Sanyo also made me pay for a missing part on the bagless model, not listed on the box, Walmart paid me back ($11). The instructions were also sent, and it showed the part; it does not fit into the vacuum's tool holder, though. I like the retractable cord, and the easy dirt release. The bumper surrounding the vacuum fell off. My fiance says he can glue it on. the vacuum has hardly been used; it stays by the bird houses! Thanks for your input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The new Oreck XL21 or the Bissell Lift-off Rev. 35 ft. cord
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The new Oreck XL21 or the Bissell Lift-off Rev. 35 ft. cord
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like you're a procastinator ...
by Evie / March 3, 2006 9:35 PM PST

... if you've used up the 30 days. Also, knowing nothing about you or your home, just a thought from a financial angle: If $50 is "a lot of money for" you, then perhaps a $700 vacuum is also a bit much.

Good luck!
Evie Happy

Collapse -
Sounds Like You Paid A Lot
by ecorbin / April 4, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

I bought this vacuum for $250.00 from the store. They sell models used in trade shows. After use, Oreck refurbishes the units and sells them for $250.00. The warranty is cut to one year so there is a drawback.

There really is nothing too these units. They are easy to fix. The belt broke and the light went dim the first and I got the parts for free from the store. Total installation time was under five minutes.

The brush is easy to replace and so is the motor. All parts are under $100.00, so this did not justify the warranty to me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!