Laptops forum

General discussion

The new hp dv9000. Is it better?

Hp is selling their older dv8000 for cheap because its gonna be replaced by the 9000. The 9000 wlll only have a 1.8ghz turion. The turion is 64 bit but does that make up for it being slower then the core duo? What does 64 bits do? What does it do for gaming? How about for video editing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The new hp dv9000. Is it better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The new hp dv9000. Is it better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anwsers;

I really don't like AMD based laptops. For desktop PC, AMD Athlon 64 is far better but in laptops, it's another story.

I don't like it because the Core Duo ( and Core 2 Duo ) delivers better performances.

The Core Duo is on the Centrino Duo mobile platform. All components of this plaftform come from Intel labs. The processor, the wireless, the northbridge ... everything while AMD is picking parts from everyone. Nothing is better arrenged when all parts come from the same manufacturer.

The wireless software on a non-centrino wireless chip is always of an inferior quality.

The 64 bits leaves you put more than 4 GB of RAM in your computer, which is totally useless ! Today, 1 GB is fine, why put 4 GB !? With the 64 bits technology, you can now put 16 exabytes of RAM. 64 Bits technology leaves scientifics do longer mathematical equations ( 2 32 for 32 bits and 2 64 for 64-bits ).

The performances are the same.

For more details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64_bits

Collapse -
Itll be ok

In reply to: Anwsers;

They will almost definetely make an Intel version so itll be ok

Collapse -
Not sure

In reply to: Itll be ok

From what I have been reading (I'm shopping for a desktop replacement myself) it seems that the 9000 will have some advantages over the 8000 in some areas and some disadvantages in others.

It looks like the video card will be less with a slower processor, but gives you some cool new toys like built in camera and such.

Going with the 64bit processor will give you forward compatability. The market is slowly going to change from 32bit to 64bit but software and OS are still lagging behind and it will prob be several years before this is a critical issue.

So...

My suggestion to you is this.

If you need a laptop today and like the 8000 buy it. Then in a couple years when your ready to upgrade again go with a newer system.
One thing to keep in mind is that the 9000 hasn't come on the market just yet so you can't even buy it. Also often the first run of a new model can have bugs...

Just my 2 cents worth Good luck!

Collapse -
Slower graphics card? you serious?

In reply to: Not sure

I thought the dv8000t came with a 7600 and so would the 9000. I know manufacturers sometimes set the same card to different clock speeds but why would they underclock a later model?

Collapse -
Don't buy for any reason!

In reply to: The new hp dv9000. Is it better?

I used to own a dv8000. Mainboard blew completely after almost exactly 13 months, and after searching around I found that I wasn't alone in having an expensive paperweight shortly after the warranty expired. Mainboard issues were the number one complaint. I needed a new unit the same day (unfortunately) and got saddled with an HP dv5000. Thus far it hasn't blown up. Yet.

The 64-bit processor allows you to run a 64-bit OS and apps (Linux, or Windows XP 64-bit) in theory. However, neither the dv5000 or the dv8000 is actually able to run 64-bit Windows as advertised.

They don't have any drivers at all, and the chip manufacturers don't provide drivers for the sound card or wireless networking. Moreover, HP's software won't operate the case buttons, remote, or battery monitoring under 64-bit Windows. I've called and complained repeatedly. Corporate complaints told me that just becuase they claim Windows 64-bit compatibility doesn't mean that all the features of the laptop will work.

Oddly enough, driver support is a lot better for Linux in 64-bit-land. Go figure.

In any event, the advantages of the AthlonXP /Opteron/ Turion architecture are very large system memory space and excellent use of system memory and disk bandwidth. These are really not too useful to a laptop user. The PentiumM /CoreDuo /CoreSolo architecture isn't as efficient (per clock cycle, it does less 'work' than it's AMD kin) but it's good with media encoding /decoding, the high end parts are the fastest available for a portable laptop, and it's very power efficient so your battery lasts pretty well. Right now, I'd steer you toward a CoreDuo based laptop. If you want gaming and video editing, make sure it uses a decent ATI or NVidia chip for the display adapter. You still won't be able to play with the big boys, but you won't be in pain, either.

And lastly, avoid HP like the plague. Come to think of it, there are cures for the plague...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Lol and thank you

In reply to: Don't buy for any reason!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.