The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The New-Age OS showdown begins.

by sabirnie / October 19, 2006 9:09 PM PDT

We've all read and participated in debates between Operating Systems. Mac vs. Windows...Windows vs. Linux..BSD vs. Linux etc etc.
But in these, the OS warriors tell the others how bad, and what they find annoying in the other person's Operating System.
And this is where this debate forks.
The aim of this debate, is to rag the most on your Operating System of choice.
The OS with the most bad/annoying stuff attributed to it, will be the winner!
Any OS you have/use...Mac OS X...Windows...Linux...BSD...whatever. Even Os/2 and TriangleOS(There's got to be one person using it!)

I'll start:
I use Ubuntu Linux, and one of the things that is REALLY annoying is the fact that each piece of software has a different install routine, and because it's Ubuntu, there's no RPM.
Synaptic manager helps, but the whole ordeal of installing something is hell!

Please show us what you loathe about your OS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The New-Age OS showdown begins.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The New-Age OS showdown begins.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by benanzo / October 19, 2006 9:35 PM PDT

My gripes:

Linux: I have read to man pages and logfiles.

Windows: uggh...why do I have to reboot 4 times after a security update?

MacOS: smb is flaky. If it's one thing I EXPECT to work OOB, it's LAN file-sharing and osx wouldn't access my win shares or my lin shares unless I mounted them on the cl. not even the 10.4.8 smb patches fixed it. dumb. I hate the one button mouse, GET A CLUE. Apple is the new devil. I feel sorry for ms, I am secretely hoping vista will be a pure work of art to shut that filthy loser jobs the heck up...what an idiot. "oh, we're better than microsoft, look what we're doing! our guy sounds better than sam!! hahaha!! we call it 'spaces' and microsoft is soo stupid! i'm steve jobs, vista is waayy late, will it ever be here??? they're so stupid!" OK, Jobs, seriously, you've shamed your bsd ancestors, now stop acting like a moron and fix it. And you're not seriously trying to get into the server market are you? LAMP will woop yer a.. like the rest of them.

my thoughts

Collapse -
My rants on what I use
by Owyn / October 19, 2006 11:41 PM PDT

I basically use two OS's at this time. Windows XP and Ubuntu. I have looked at, and at times extensively used, other Linii. I retired my last Win98 box (a laptop) for use as a Ubuntu based browser and utility station this year. Stopped using OS/2 about 3 years ago.

I have bumped into but never owned a Mac. Familiar with BSD (but don't actively use it) and found a suprising portability of Linux and BSD knowledge to OSX when I have had to support an application specific problem om Mac. The SWAGs I was making turned out to be correct more often than I expected.

I have been looking at Windows Vista. Not happily so far, but, with the sure knowledge that I will be forced to use or work with it in the near future. 50% within the next 6 months, 100% within the next year. By that time 100% of new retail Windows PCs will be pre-installed with Vista. I could rant, and will elsewhere, but not from the perspective of something I use.

Anyway, my hate list, not complete but the things that spring first to mind.

Windows XP hate list:

- Lack of a unified package management software for consumer use. There are many enterprise solutions for managing approved software, nothing at the consumer / OS level for general management. There is nothing even close to apt-get, Synaptic, etc.

- Reboot to complete setup? Again? Aaargh.

- Lack of adherence or forced compliance to UI guidelines. The thing I like about the Mac OSX systems I have seen is the enforced use of stnndard UI components. Apple made a very smart decision in this area.

Ubuntu hate list:

- Network management tools and compliance. Getting better but still not good enough out of the box.

- Fixing anything beyond basic video problems. You have to get down and dirty, really needs a better configure / GUI. Maybe start with xorg-edit.

- Not really Ubuntu, but conflicts with package pre-reqs at low level. e.g. App not certified beyond Python 2.4 but another app wants 2.6. Not to often, and solvable, but a pain when it happens.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?