Computer Help forum

General discussion

The mystery of the Laptop that automatically shuts down

by teatreebaby / September 4, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

HELP!

Whenever i play pc mini games ( the ones i've downloaded from yahoo ), my pc just automatically shuts down for some reason during random intervals. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins.

Now I checked with my Power Options and my laptop is set to HOME/OFFICE as its power scheme. I also chose to NEVER turn of hard disk or do system standby or system hybernate.

Also, my laptop is plugged in the whole time to a secure power source when i play these games. and it also happens when im watching a movie.

this doesnt happen when im surfing the net or typing or browsing photos etc... I've used this laptop for hours while I was in the office and not once did it shut down just like that.

Only when im playing mini games and sometimes when i watch movies. Oh well...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The mystery of the Laptop that automatically shuts down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The mystery of the Laptop that automatically shuts down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oh
by teatreebaby / September 4, 2008 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell me about

wow..i didnt know i have to clean my laptop. =P serious.

Collapse -
will do!
by teatreebaby / September 4, 2008 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: oh

Thanks btw! will do so. =)

Collapse -
No one tells you about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: oh

As more and more computer users move to the laptop form you will see this issue grow.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop cooler
by teatreebaby / September 5, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

Hi! It works. been using the laptop cooler.

first i tried w/o the cooler and i disabled my internet. (thinking that my wifi is the cause) but after a while, it still shut down.

but as soon as I used the cooler, 'twas fine. until now.

thanks a lot =)

Collapse -
Just to fill in some knowledge potholes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop cooler

This may or may not make sense but I'll toss it out just in case.

Those bad old Pentium 4 laptops required me to do nothing short of a teardown to get the CPU heatsink off. We clean the heatsink compound off and I'll apply some fresh Arctic Silver. Cleaning it all up, button it up and usually it will do fine for a few more years.
Bob

Collapse -
afterthought...
by teatreebaby / September 5, 2008 5:14 PM PDT

but i wonder, how come my laptop never shuts down whenever i use it in the office for hours on end?

is it because the surface of my office table is cooler? and the environment is cooler? At home, i use my laptop on my bed. and i dont have aircon.

Or is it because of what im doing. Like in the office, I just do normal office work. But at home, I play games / watch movies. So the latter makes the laptop work more.

Haha, you dont have to answer this. Just thinking out loud. THANKS A LOT!!!

Collapse -
Games and movies do...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: afterthought...

Make the machine work harder. That's when these laptop coolers really pay off.
Bob

Collapse -
=D
by teatreebaby / September 5, 2008 5:16 PM PDT

Btw, you're awesome Bob. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.