Computer Help forum

General discussion

The mystery of the changed data rate on C drive

I use a couple of NLE programs for video (Pinnacle Studio 9, Adobe Premier Pro 7, and Sony Vegas). I have a 120 GB WD EIDE Internal Hard Drive (C: drive). My OS is Windows XP Home Edition. I have an Intel Pentium 4.2 GHz Processor. I have over 1 GB of DDR Memory. SIS 64MB AGP video. For about 3 years I've had no problems uploading video via 1333 Firewire from my digital camcorder to the desktop editing softward. Recently, however, I've experienced jerky and dropped video frames in both Adube Premier and Pincale Studio 9 Plus. Even AFTER deleting some files, and transfering others to my external hard drive, I'm getting the following error message after performing a data rate test in Pinnacle Studio 9:

"Data Rate Test: Read: 2545 Kbytes/sec Write: 2372 Kbytes/sec"
"Drive C is not capable of capturing DV data."

My plea for help is: A) what could cause my C drive to all of the sudden slow down its data rate? B) What can I do to resolve it? I'm sure it's something minor, but I can't think of it. Please help!
Sincerely
SuperPanasonic

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The mystery of the changed data rate on C drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The mystery of the changed data rate on C drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP? No mystery to me.

In reply to: The mystery of the changed data rate on C drive

XP is known to reduce the DMA rate as errors occur. This is not a bug. It's programmed to do this. To get back to full speed is drop dead simple.

I'll supply the article with the steps needed and hope you accomplish the steps rather than "just look." Sorry if this seems short but I've noted this issue many times and can't duplicate it everytime it comes up.

The procedure is to set the IDE channels back to PIO and then to DMA. Noted at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx Steps 1 to 4.

Bob

Collapse -
The mystery resolved?

In reply to: XP? No mystery to me.

Bob, thank you! I'll try it out!

Collapse -
The error remains...

In reply to: The mystery resolved?

I went into Device Manager, double-clicked IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, right-clicked the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, selected Properties, and then clicked the Advanced Settings tab.
I then selected "PIO only" and clicked OK (since the drop-down box already had "DMA If Available""), then repeated the steps to change the selection to "DMA If Available". Yet, the problem remains. I don't know if I should have rebooted after doing that or not (the instructions on the website provided didn't say to). What else could it be? What am I doing wrong? Here are my computer's specs again:
*It's made by Viscom (V2 Premier).
*Intel Pentium 4.2 GHz Processor
*120GB Western Digital 5400RPM EIDE Hard Drive
*SIS 64MB AGP Video
*Creative Sound Blaster Live 24 bit sound card
*DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive (working fine)
*DVD Drive (being fickel)
*PRO-9 Compact Flashcard Reader with Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, SmartMedia, MicroDrive, Multimedia, Secure Digital, xD, and FireWire ports
*OS is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
*NLEs are Adobe Premier 7.0, Pinnacle Studio Version 9 (the program where I do my data rate test), and Sony Vegas

Collapse -
It's still says my Data Rate for C drive is too slow.

In reply to: XP? No mystery to me.

I went into Device Manager, double-clicked IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, right-clicked the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, selected Properties, and then clicked the Advanced Settings tab.
I then selected "PIO only" and clicked OK (since the drop-down box already had "DMA If Available""), then repeated the steps to change the selection to "DMA If Available". Yet, the problem remains. I don't know if I should have rebooted after doing that or not (the instructions on the website provided didn't say to). What else could it be? What am I doing wrong? Here are my computer's specs again:
*SIS 64MB AGP Video
*PRO-9 Compact Flashcard Reader with Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, SmartMedia, MicroDrive, Multimedia, Secure Digital, xD, and FireWire ports
*NLEs are Adobe Premier 7.0, Pinnacle Studio Version 9 (the program where I do my data rate test), and Sony Vegas

Collapse -
Try This Method To 'Force' XP To Find DMA

In reply to: It's still says my Data Rate for C drive is too slow.

REGISTRY EDIT TO FORCE DMA FUNCTIONALITY IF TOGGLING DOESN?T CHANGE MODE

Start by making sure the ?Primary Ide Channel/Advanced Settings? tab has ?DMA if available? selected in the ?Transfer Mode? line. This is a very basic registry edit that should fix the issue. The deleted values below will be reset by Windows at the next boot. First, make a backup of the registry. Then click on Start-Run, type ?regedit?, then click on OK. When the Registry Editor loads, go to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000X

The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.

Click directly on each of the numbered folder/keys, then delete all occurrences of the following values on the right side.:

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

Now reboot your system and make sure the DMA Mode has returned to the ?Current Transfer Mode? line on the IDE Channel in ?Device Manager?.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Trying the method, but a couple of questions before I start

In reply to: Try This Method To 'Force' XP To Find DMA

Quote: "Start by making sure the 'Primary Ide Channel/Advanced Settings' tab has ?DMA if available? selected in the ?Transfer Mode? line. This is a very basic registry edit that should fix the issue. The deleted values below will be reset by Windows at the next boot.
A) Where do I go to get that info? Is that the same path as the Device Manager?

Quote: "make a backup of the registry."
B) Where do I find the registry of the Hard Drive (Drive C--Western Digital 120GB 54000RPM EIDE Hard Drive?

Although not a novice, I wouldn't dare call myself a Geek, yet (I think that term now is supposed to be "cool"--synomynous with Computer Savvy. If I'm wrong, please forgive me. Geek-dom is what I seek!).

Collapse -
Instructions...

In reply to: Trying the method, but a couple of questions before I start

Yes, it's the same path as Device Manager.

To make a backup of the registry which can be used to correct problems if you delete the wrong thing, follow the instructions below:

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. First, make a backup of the Registry. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, click on the "My Computer" entry so it is highlighted. Next, click on "Registry" in the upper left corner of the window, ("File" in Windows 2000/XP) choose "Export Registry File" (or "Export" in Windows 2000/XP). When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to (I direct it to my desktop for easy access) and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you, Grif!

In reply to: Instructions...

I'm going to do it! Thanks for being so knowledgable and patient!

Collapse -
(NT) Let Us Know How It Goes...

In reply to: Thank you, Grif!

Collapse -
The knucklehead is still cuttin' up!

In reply to: Let Us Know How It Goes...

First I want to sincerely say thank you! You all at CNET have been so great and made my first time dealing with things like "MasterIdDataCheckSum" & "HKEY_LOCAL_..." so non-threatening! Ever since I've stumbled across CNET, I've browsed everything from camcorder reviews to car reviews and joining the forum has been a joy! Thank you!

Now, back to my nutty-buddy computer. Still says "Drive C is not capable of capturing DV data", and it should be! After editing the registry, when I rebooted and checked the DMA Mode, it still said "PIO Mode" on the IDE Channel Properties.
Device 0
Device Type: Auto Detection (grayed out--can't alter it)
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode

Device 1
Device Type: Auto Detection
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

Here are my computer's specs again:
*SIS 64MB AGP Video

Collapse -
"Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode" = That's it.

In reply to: The knucklehead is still cuttin' up!

But how to fix? My thoughts are that some motherboard or chipset driver was "updated" if it used to work in DMA Mode.

Is there a DRIVER CD that we use after we install the OS?

I missed it where you revealed the make/model of the motherboard used in this system. Supply that or at the very least the SUPPORT CHIPSET for the P4 CPU.

Maybe we can avoid replacing the motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, sir...Motherboard info coming up

In reply to: "Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode" = That's it.

Motherboard - L4S5MG

800MHz Front Side Bus System Board w/Intel 865PE Chipset

Intel Pentium 4.266 GHz HyperThreading Processor.

I believe the driver for the motherboard is called "Mainboard ver2.os". I called the tech support line for V2 but they were so rude ("Good morning, I just had a general question about my motherboard, and the drivers for my hard drive." Silence on the other end. "O...kay," to myself).

Collapse -
Link, comment.

In reply to: Yes, sir...Motherboard info coming up

Collapse -
Thank you, Bob

In reply to: Link, comment.

I'll get right on it! :0)

Collapse -
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 8.1.1.1010

In reply to: Link, comment.

I'm trying the installation via Interactive Mode

* 6. INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE IN INTERACTIVE MODE
1. Verify that all system requirements have been met as
described in Section 2 above.
(Roger)
2. Run the installation program:
Self-extracting .EXE distribution: INFINST_AUTOL.EXE
(I get "Windows cannot find 'INFINST_AUTOL.EXE'...)

I try using this step: Compressed .ZIP distribution: SETUP.EXE
(I'm instructed to go to Control Panel to install and configure system componets.) I must be doing something wrong, because step three says...

3. You will be prompted to agree to the license agreement.
If you do not agree, the installation program will exit
before extracting any files.

Did I download the right Utility? Am I missing a step? What path should I follow to run this utility?

Collapse -
Try This Method To 'Force' XP To Find DMA

Thanks a lot for that. Griff and Bob.

Collapse -
Forced Method

Found this forum while trying to resolve similar problem, it worked a treat & my Maxtor 40Gb drive is now back to DMA from PIO.
How some of you manage to retain such a depth of information & find the time to help resolve problems is a mystery to me; can only say thanks Grif, sound advice.

pjp.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.