PC Hardware forum

General discussion

The mystery and mystique of the +/- of CD-DVD media..

Maybe someone has happened to stumble across the definitive answer to this query:

I've known for how long now of the twain hardware manufacturer's differences involving what is a CD+R/RW or a CD-R/RW and the other possible combinations therein; but now I stretch on to DVD media as well: What is the difference between DVD+R or DVD-R {the /RW is a constant}?

I now have an I/OMagic 16x External USB DVD+-R/RW {which will burn anything or any media; CDxx or toast included). But, how do I know by the + or - which media I should be using? I have happened across some DVD-r blanks, and had put them as shelfware {this was before I bought the drive} - but should I be buying +r instead, or does it really matter?

Why don't they just wipe out all ++ and make all media CD / DVD # ???? Happy

I have pondered my navel on this subject; I found some info on webopedia.com, but not enough to satify my hungry cerebral cortex.

If someone knows of this mystery...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The mystery and mystique of the +/- of CD-DVD media..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The mystery and mystique of the +/- of CD-DVD media..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's the money.

In reply to: The mystery and mystique of the +/- of CD-DVD media..

HP invested into DVD+R/W and its consortium. It got it's license for the investment and didn't have the royalities to pay out.

They pushed this in their machines for a few years until it was clear it was hurting PC/other sales and that's the story.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DVD+MEDIA+EXPLAINED tells more.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: It's the money

In reply to: It's the money.

The first thing that I have to say is "Whoa!" That's the closest letter combination to express a physical sound of maximum overwhelmedness.

I have to thank you for the URL - I now have some thirty or more pages on DVDism (maybe even more than I wanted to know - but it's all input) - the last couple I just e-mailed to myself because I was copy/pasting until I got to the really nitty-gritty theorum's Happy

But, I may now rest that I know what I didn't a half an hour ago - knowledge is power.

Your free gift: Are you one who goes to Device Manager frequently? Do you go through the classic Control Panel and open System to get to Device Manager? Or, are you crafty and right-click My Computer from the desktop? I have one better yet - START|RUN|devmgmt.msc . Since System and it's components belong to the class of MMC {MS Management Console), it's just a Microsoft Common Console Document, not too much different than a batch file with arguments.

I'm pretty full of myself to have discovered this; if it's something that you already know, then I guess it's revisited for the people in the back row. But it's fun to have a shortcut directly to Device Manager-I thought that the right-click on My Computer to get to System|Hardware|Device Manager was the quickest way to go... Happy

Bill

Collapse -
Speaking of devmgmt.msc...

In reply to: RE: It's the money

There are other .MSC files that you can get faster access to what they do without slogging through menus or other programs. Here's my method. Use the find command and look for *.MSC files.

Now, off to http://www.google.com and type in that whatisit.MSC to discover what the MSC file does.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: Speaking of devmgmt.msc...

In reply to: Speaking of devmgmt.msc...

Since I had traced that down by "reverse notation", I realize that the MMC Microsoft Management Console has it's own little universe - I've just never wandered over there. I used Task Manager (in Win2k) and watched the processes to get System's info, and that lead to seeing Device Manager in the Apps window.

I've been all through places in Windows - the "new world" was when I went to work as a Network Engineer on Chicago Happy But, necessity is indeed the mother of invention, and in my latter years now I flip flop between apps development and web development for fun and profit...

But, I can query for a list of all the msc files in system32 and output it, and whenever I get time to paruse the list (these are the 3a.m. goodies) unless something strikes me right off and I have to run off on that tangent (usually taking me farther away from my original task at hand - short attention span 'specially at late dark time or early dark time, depending on what mortals call it). I can figure them out on my own for the most part I'm sure; some I may have to reference, but discovery is the fun part!!!

I've got the concise "Gospel of Win2k According to Gates" in my library (the big fat Win 2000 Resource Kit) which can be sometimes more soothing than the keyboard.

But thanks for that URL also. I've known that Google is just cranking out the applets - to the dismay of some people; so it seems that they are having neat toys to play with too... And I'm not very impressed with the Great MSN Search. And MSN Encarta Premium has let me down three or four times in the past two weeks! I even queried for the "Electronic Signatures Act (E-Sign)" of June, 2000 by CEO Clinton. I found it and it's link to the somewhere.gov in a PC Magazine article. You can tell I was impressed... :-0

Collapse -
More bad news. The next generation

In reply to: The mystery and mystique of the +/- of CD-DVD media..

DVD devices are already broken into two camps with no merger likely. It's HDVD and Blu-Ray for the next higher density DVD devices.

Collapse -
RE: More bad new. TNG

In reply to: More bad news. The next generation

Why does this not surprise me? Because the Hardware/Software ''Who's driving who?'' is one of the valued constants in this digital age. 64bit is pushing Longhorn, Longhorn fights back with it's own ''new conformity'', or updated feature guide, etc. Seen it all my life.

But, for my purposes, I'm only having to burn DVD's as part of a test of one of my customer's web sites. Their business can stay with CDR and DVDR for another ten years or maybe close - their genre and customer base aren't the type that jump every time a new ''technology'' is introduced, like we do, or at least I do for the most part - in development, I kind of have to, or borrow somebody else's to test against Happy

But thanks for the input. At least I got a couple of pointers that give me ''enlightenment''.

Your free gift: Are you one who goes to Device Manager frequently? Do you go through the classic Control Panel and open System to get to Device Manager? Or, are you crafty and right-click My Computer from the desktop? I have one better yet - START|RUN|devmgmt.msc . Since System and it's components belong to the class of MMC {MS Management Console), it's just a Microsoft Common Console Document, not too much different than a batch file with arguments.

I'm pretty full of myself to have discovered this; if it's something that you already know, then I guess it's revisited for the people in the back row. But it's fun to have a shortcut directly to Device Manager-I thought that the right-click on My Computer to get to System|Hardware|Device Manager was the quickest way to go... Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!