The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

the MySpace discussion and how to keep your kids safe online

by beelissa / March 2, 2006 12:52 AM PST

Molly, I have to agree with your assertion that NetNanny type programs that block bad websites are not the way to go. Here are my tips on how to keep your kids safe online:

First, Education! tell your kids not to share personal information -- make it specific about what not to share and tell why. Include examples like how a person could figure out where you live if you give the name of your school, or the school's football team name, etc., esp. someone who meets you and develops a relationship with you online in a forum or some such place.

Second, Supervision! My husband (the interior decorator in our house) hates the fact that our main computer is in the kitchen. I'ts right there, next to the kitchen table. In fact, if you rotate the computer chair 180 degrees, you're sitting at the kitchen table (thought it's often quite difficult to get the kid to quit out of the game and actually make the chair rotate when it's time for dinner!). I think it was the best move we've made in the way of furniture rearrangement. It makes it very easy for me to know what the kids are doing on it. Now that we have a laptop, I make it a point to drop in frequently if the kids are using it in their bedrooms. But, my husband and I get first dibs on the laptop so the kids are more likely to use the desktop computer anyway.

I thought I'd share this since none of our hosts seem to have kids, so they don't have first-hand experience in this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the MySpace discussion and how to keep your kids safe online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the MySpace discussion and how to keep your kids safe online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree ..
by barret55 / March 2, 2006 1:05 AM PST

Keeping the computer in a central location is probably the best bet in monitoring what a child does when they're online. Our computer is in the den, where it can be seen from the living room. Granted, my son is only 6, and doesn't do much of anything online, it will definitely be beneficial when he gets older.

-Terry

Collapse -
Echo that...
by boringcom / March 2, 2006 1:09 AM PST

At the risk of being overly "me too" on this I have to agree with beelissa on her approach to computer "control" for her kids - her advice seems quite practical. While I too am child-impaired, I've watched intently what friends and family have done and I have seen the effectiveness of having computers in common areas. My oldest nephew (9) is a RPG/Strategy gamer but he is VERY clear on how much time he's allowed AFTER homework.

Bottom line - your best way to protect your kids (and not just on the Internet) is to teach them about good safety practices yourself. Don't assume someone else, especially the school system, will do it for you. Abrogate that responsibility and reap what you sow.

</soap box>

Ahem.

- Micah

Collapse -
MySpace is evil...
by Noob1012 / March 2, 2006 2:20 AM PST

I think the best way to keep kids safe is to keep them from using MySpace. Use a Parental Control to block the site.

Collapse -
NONONO!
by rewerb / March 2, 2006 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: MySpace is evil...

Don't block myspace to "keep us safe!" We aren't little babies, and just because some of the millions of myspace users are sexually solicited, it doesn't mean that we should ban the whole site. Teenagers should be considered mature enough by adults to make good decisions online, yeah parents should be involved in what we do, but that doesn't mean that you need to ban everything. It is much more effective to talk to your kids about safe internet use, than to blindly ban them. After all, we are always one step ahead of you. We'll just use proxies or use different services, without any communication with you. DON'T BAN SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES ON YOUR KIDS COMPUTERS!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.