Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Mrs. Fields Mental Defense for dogs

by Diane Harrison / September 26, 2004 2:58 PM PDT

This may not be as funny to those of you who are unfamiliar with mental health issues, but I found it quite amusing, having to deal with those issues at work all the time.

This is a real case (People v. Malgren). that involves a tracking dog named "Sarge," who was tracking a suspect in a marsh area. Apparently Sarge decided to take the phrase a bit literally, and took a bite not only out of crime, but nailed the suspect as well. This is commentary from the court case involving the "mental state" of Sarge, as to whether he acted responsibly in biting the suspect. The Static-99 and Rorschach Tests are used frequently in criminal cases to determine, among other things, the level of aggression or violence we might expect from the individual taking the tests. Sometimes the court participants do indeed have a good sense of humor as witnessed by this exchange reference the alleged bite:

"After giving Sarge [the dog] the Static-99 and Rorschach Tests, it
is my expert psychological opinion that he is not suffering from
anti-social personality disorder, but rather mild obsessive-compulsive
disorder, combined with excessive cookie consumption, such that he
experienced a diminished capacity to bite defendant at the moment
defendant was cornered."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Mrs. Fields Mental Defense for dogs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Mrs. Fields Mental Defense for dogs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Rorschach a dog? LOL!
by Bill Osler / September 27, 2004 9:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: I find this hilarious
by MKay / September 27, 2004 9:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL ... but crying on the inside
by drpruner / October 4, 2004 8:58 AM PDT

Aren't you the ADA? Then you probably remember or learned about the "####### defense" in the Moscone murder trial in SF some years ago. And I believe it worked, as to reduced sentence (although the defendant committed suicide after his release).

Proving that dog imitates art? Life imitates dog? Happy

(If you see ####### above, it's because Net Nanny edited my use of the well-known jailhouse term for boy toy.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico (still a lawless state in some aspects)

Collapse -
What did the dog think the ink blot was?
by Kiddpeat / October 5, 2004 4:48 AM PDT

or did it just sit there looking dumb? Devil

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?