the XP setup from the Windows CD XP has 3 options;
1. Over an installation
2. Delete Windows account, then install
3. Delete EVERYTHING (= format), then install
After #2 you should be able to save your files and then maybe proceed to #3.
Consider using some antimalware protection afterwards.
Hope this helps.
Seeking Sherlock or his geeky support person....
I have run windows XP after removing some nasties and the following hassles seem to occur:
Can no longer: cut and paste; click and drag icons on desktop; it won't copy; can't file transfer; Int Explorer won't initiate; email (outlook) says I can't do the requested action (send/recieve); the network card isn;t recognised; the media files won't play; I can't send to e drive to burn files.; the security I have - Trend Micro - apears to load and then vanishes ...seems all I can do is read, open some programs and type...
Now, I thought I would try system restore...it gives me the message:
"Syst restore can't save your computer. Re-start and run system restore again"
This I do and the same message appears again....and again....and again.
###Here's what I have tried###
1. Systenm Restore - message "can't save etc as above"
2. System Restore from Advanced Mode at start up: F8/advanced mode/recent working config/xp pro -- it returns to the same state with the same problems
3. Looked through system restore info on the MS help and support site. Examined error messages, restore info, nothing jumped out as the same and a lot of the info ended at diagnostic level..ie: no solutions
4. Follwed some advice to look at event logs for errors ..but I have no idea what to do.
5.Another suggestion: Under control panel/admin tools/services find system restore to see that it was running automatically and the status was "started". Auto was there but not "started"...I looked at properties and selected "start" and the error message appeared: "Syst Restore could not start, Error 1075, Dependency service doesn't exist, or is marked for deletion"
6. Did error fixing scan thru system tools -- nothing changed
7.Ran a program called Registry Mechanic...it found 461 errors and fixed them...no change
### Here's what I did before the current status ###
(to the best of my memory)
Got bombarded by pop-ups (cell phones, registry cleaner, yada yada yada) atfer looking at a freeware site
Ran TrendMicro security
Ran CC Cleaner
Ran Spyware Search and destroy
Ran Reg Mechanic
I "ran" a marathon. Some progrs would remove stuff and then it would come back so I would look for the next level of removal from forum advice. THe items that were considered "dangerous" were an assortment of file types: dll, exe, ini (?)..
I resigned myself to having to blat the PC and start over but I couldn't file transfer OR burn files I wish to keep. (work stuff, photos, vids and a bucket load of memorabilia)..
Thoughts and suggestions welcome...