Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

The Mother of All XP Performance Problems

by Neal-aus / June 10, 2007 7:59 PM PDT

Hi,

Seeking Sherlock or his geeky support person....

I have run windows XP after removing some nasties and the following hassles seem to occur:
Can no longer: cut and paste; click and drag icons on desktop; it won't copy; can't file transfer; Int Explorer won't initiate; email (outlook) says I can't do the requested action (send/recieve); the network card isn;t recognised; the media files won't play; I can't send to e drive to burn files.; the security I have - Trend Micro - apears to load and then vanishes ...seems all I can do is read, open some programs and type...

Now, I thought I would try system restore...it gives me the message:
"Syst restore can't save your computer. Re-start and run system restore again"

This I do and the same message appears again....and again....and again.

###Here's what I have tried###
1. Systenm Restore - message "can't save etc as above"
2. System Restore from Advanced Mode at start up: F8/advanced mode/recent working config/xp pro -- it returns to the same state with the same problems
3. Looked through system restore info on the MS help and support site. Examined error messages, restore info, nothing jumped out as the same and a lot of the info ended at diagnostic level..ie: no solutions
4. Follwed some advice to look at event logs for errors ..but I have no idea what to do.
5.Another suggestion: Under control panel/admin tools/services find system restore to see that it was running automatically and the status was "started". Auto was there but not "started"...I looked at properties and selected "start" and the error message appeared: "Syst Restore could not start, Error 1075, Dependency service doesn't exist, or is marked for deletion"
6. Did error fixing scan thru system tools -- nothing changed
7.Ran a program called Registry Mechanic...it found 461 errors and fixed them...no change

### Here's what I did before the current status ###
(to the best of my memory)

Got bombarded by pop-ups (cell phones, registry cleaner, yada yada yada) atfer looking at a freeware site
Ran TrendMicro security
Ran CC Cleaner
Ran Spyware Search and destroy
Ran xoftspySE
Ran VundoFix
Ran RegReanimator
Ran Reg Mechanic

I "ran" a marathon. Some progrs would remove stuff and then it would come back so I would look for the next level of removal from forum advice. THe items that were considered "dangerous" were an assortment of file types: dll, exe, ini (?)..

I resigned myself to having to blat the PC and start over but I couldn't file transfer OR burn files I wish to keep. (work stuff, photos, vids and a bucket load of memorabilia)..

Any clues?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome...

Regards

Neal-aus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Mother of All XP Performance Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Mother of All XP Performance Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Luckily ...
by Kees Bakker / June 10, 2007 8:11 PM PDT

the XP setup from the Windows CD XP has 3 options;
1. Over an installation
2. Delete Windows account, then install
3. Delete EVERYTHING (= format), then install

After #2 you should be able to save your files and then maybe proceed to #3.
Consider using some antimalware protection afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
LUckily
by HPJOHN / June 11, 2007 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Luckily ...

After Formating your hard disk and this is the only thing you can do. DO NOT USE REGISTRY MECHANIC!! I used it and it deleted some of Windows. CC cleaner is not much better. PC Magazine rated Registry Fix number 1. www.registryfix.com. It usually finds between 104 and 124 errors in the registry when you install Windows XP. You can download a free copy. Next I suggest Diskeeper to defragment and Tren Micro PCcillin. this will probably help.

Collapse -
Reply to HPJOHN & Kees
by Neal-aus / June 11, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
In reply to: LUckily

LUckily - New!
by HPJOHN - 6/11/07 3:50 PM
In reply to: Luckily ... by Kees Bakker
After Formating your hard disk and this is the only thing you can do. DO NOT USE REGISTRY MECHANIC!! I used it and it deleted some of Windows. CC cleaner is not much better. PC Magazine rated Registry Fix number 1. www.registryfix.com. It usually finds between 104 and 124 errors in the registry when you install Windows XP. You can download a free copy. Next I suggest Diskeeper to defragment and Tren Micro PCcillin. this will probably help.

Hi Kees and HPJOHN

THe info you are providing has been thought provoking and helpful..

With respect to your post HPJOHN..

The mention of Registry Mechanic caught my eye...It came highly recommended and yes it did remove some of my Windows files...or rather I did by clicking thru without really knowing if it was a file needed or not. I just assumed Registry Mech "got it right". Just blanket deleting everything found seems to be a novice approach.

I have since found two very good and exceptionally thorough scanning setups -- I am still running these as we speak.

FYI: investigate these...
AVG Anti-Spyware
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal:_Trojan_Removal_Programs#Ewido_Security_Suite_Trial

as part of...
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview

from ...

www.castlecops.com

Cheers

Neal-aus

Collapse -
Please CONFIRM the EXACT Correct Name of....
by tobeach / June 11, 2007 4:40 PM PDT

"Spyware Search & Destroy" along with Version # (if it has one) and the Company name &/or net address (example Spying- Destroyer.net or com or other. Could be original source of problem. Might help in finding/reversing damage....Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
Reply to Tobeach...
by Neal-aus / June 11, 2007 5:42 PM PDT

Thanks tobeach

I made an error with the name.
It is SpyBot Search & Destroy Version 14 (the most recent)
(from a company called: Safer Networking Ltd).

I have used them for a few years now and it always performs well.

I have read in some forums where there are "conflicts" with different
security programs. ie: when scans are run, a pre-existing program like SpyBot S&D, may interfere and hence, need to be disabled.

I unistalled it after my system had the hiccups. It found some malware (one was a zlob) and then the problems persisted..so in getting ready for a reinstall I uninstalled it.

Thanks for your interest

Collapse -
Spybot S&D Shouldn't Create Any Conflicts as Long....
by tobeach / June 12, 2007 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Tobeach...

as you don't enable it's background guards. Depending on other protectors in use, may conflict for example with both S&D Tea Timer & AVG Anti-Spy background guard trying to lock down same system settings or if using Bad Download blocker "Immunize"(which re-routes IE via 1.2.7.0.0.1) thru S&Ds "host file" while another program is trying to re-route IE in same manner.

There are a few cases where oddities seem to happen (certain AVs like Trend Micro(?) or McAfee (?) etc) but the problems disappear if you un-install and re-install S&D after the AV is installed. These seem to have problem when the S&D is pre-existing but not if added after.

Glad it was Spybot (you have the real one & I love it too!) as I was suspicious of a rogue one. Thanks for posting back! Grin Sandy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?