Speakeasy forum

General discussion

?The Marriage Debate and Polygamy?

by lylesg / October 6, 2004 11:42 AM PDT

The pig is now greased and running with reference to marriage traditions in the U.S.

The Women's Religious Liberties Union, established in 1998, gathered to protest newspaper and television depictions they say paint all polygamists as incestuous, misogynous and abusive to women and children.
But their real target, said the Tribune, is a 1935 Utah law that turned bigamy into a felony instead of a misdemeanor, and a clause that makes an outlaw of any person who "cohabits with another person."

They are not alone. The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah told the paper that it plans to back the group's challenge to Utah's bigamy law. More

Several prosecutions and lawsuits against polygamists, now pending in Utah, are notable for the constitutional defenses that have been - or could be -- raised. More

Of course the decision is in the hands of the state of Utah, unless of course the Supreme Court again undermines the ability of the state to regulate marriage ethics.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ?The Marriage Debate and Polygamy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ?The Marriage Debate and Polygamy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ?The Marriage Debate and Polygamy?
by Dan McC / October 7, 2004 12:04 AM PDT

It doesn't seem that polygamy is the problem here. The argument seems to be against polygamists. These people would be bad spouses no matter how many people they married. It would do Utah well to tighten up all of it's marriage rules. They could start by raising the age of consent to 17 or 18. That's still too young to be getting hitched, but if I picked 28 there'd be much screaming.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: ?The Marriage Debate and Polygamy?
by lylesg / October 7, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

Utah banned Polygamy back in the thirties making it a felony offense. I suppose the state will continue to hold to that law, but in light of the ?same sex? marriage challenge?s around the country and the ACLU?s backing this deal in Utah, it will be interesting to see how things play out in the Supreme Court, if it ever makes it that far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?