Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Magical Mystery Tour Ends

by James Denison / February 5, 2008 2:58 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Magical Mystery Tour Ends
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Magical Mystery Tour Ends
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) om-o
by WOODS-HICK / February 5, 2008 5:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Heard of his passing last night
by Josh K / February 5, 2008 10:22 PM PST

On one hand, he was considered a fraud by the Beatles after they spent some time at his compound in 1968 -- he was rumored to have made advances at some of the women there, and John Lennon in particular thought he had too much money for a true mystic. He wrote the song "Sexy Sadie" as an expression of his disillusionment.

On the other, through his association with the Beatles he was able to introduce transcendental meditation to the western world, and proved to be a big influence on our culture.

As a historical figure in the world of Beatledom, I am saddened by his passing.

Collapse -
a big influence on our culture.?
by EdH / February 5, 2008 11:29 PM PST

I don't think so.

Just another scam.

Collapse -
a scam?
by jonah jones / February 6, 2008 12:02 AM PST

2 generations and countless millions might not agree with you...

when the 'choices' of getting high were JB, MJ or TM, a LOT of people went the TM route

Collapse -
Lots of people are fooled by lots of things....
by EdH / February 6, 2008 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: a scam?

As old PT knew well.

Collapse -
Some of us
by Patricia89 / February 7, 2008 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: a scam?

didn't go with any of the choices to "get high" Some of us worked and took care of families.

Collapse -
(NT) congratulations
by jonah jones / February 7, 2008 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Some of us
Collapse -
(NT) LOL
by Josh K / February 7, 2008 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: congratulations
Collapse -
Just because he was not an influence on you personally....
by Josh K / February 6, 2008 2:47 AM PST

...does not negate what I said, which I stand by. He would not have had nearly the influence he had if it weren't for his association with the Beatles. He understood that at the outset, and used their interest in TM to promote himself.

Collapse -
would you say he was...
by James Denison / February 6, 2008 3:12 AM PST

...a "spiritual leech"? Or an average carnal one?

Collapse -
He was an opportunist, no question
by Josh K / February 6, 2008 3:27 AM PST

Whether his spiritual beliefs were genuine I do not know. I suppose in this regard he may not have been much different than other spiritual figures who engaged in well-publicized less-than-spiritual behavior.

Collapse -
It has nothing to do with his influence on me.
by EdH / February 6, 2008 3:21 AM PST

I think his impact on our culture is almost non-existent. A weird oddity, no more. But if you wish to believe differently, fine.

Collapse -
Some may confuse him with Rajneesh
by James Denison / February 6, 2008 12:23 AM PST

This below is by no means a complete account of his life nor people's reactions to the person. I was on Crete when this guy came there after being kicked out of the USA. He tried to start some new commune there but once the Cretans got wind of what he was up to, he was run out of town, literally. It was more along the lines of "leave today, now, or tomorrow we...."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osho

He was often called the "sex guru" after some speeches in the late 1960s on sexuality. These were later compiled under the title From Sex to Superconsciousness. According to him, "For Tantra everything is holy, nothing is unholy",[92] and all repressive sexual morality was self-defeating, since one could not transcend sex without experiencing it thoroughly and consciously. In 1985, he told the Bombay Illustrated Weekly,
? I have never been a celibate. If people believe so, that is their foolishness. I have always loved women ? and perhaps more women than anybody else. You can see my beard: it has become grey so quickly because I have lived so intensely that I have compressed almost two hundred years into fifty.[93] ?

Osho said he loved to disturb people ? only by disturbing them could he make them think.[94] Accordingly, his discourses were peppered with offensive jokes[95] and outrageous statements lampooning key figures of established religions such as Hinduism, Jainism or Christianity. Concerning the virgin birth, for example, he said that Jesus was clearly a *******, since he was not Joseph's biological son.[4] Osho said that the only thing he was serious about in his discourses were the jokes ? they were the main thing, and everything else was spiritual gossip...(much more at page)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?