General discussion

The Lumix dichotomy...

The fabulous new Lumix DMC-ZS7 is out, and I was juuust about to get one. But hold on a minute there... The new GPS and manual setting features are great, but will I actually use them for day-to-day use? Hmm? I wonder? Now, the big question I have, and have yet to find discussed, is the ZS3 has 45mb of integrated memory, while the 7 has only 15. 15mb is nothing to scoff at, but when it comes to memory, I feel more is always better. That is something I would use regularly. And coupled with the fact that, to date, the cheapest price I can find for the 7 is $350 on Amazon, and Costco now offers the 3 for $200 (apparently, basing that price on a previous post; see below)), I may now settle for the 3... If I wanted to go completely manual, I'd get a nice SLR... And if I need the location of my photos, I'll just use the memory card in my noggin... Any thoughts?

Lumix DMC-ZS3

by ladmsy - 3/10/10 8:15 PM In reply to: someone help to get me a camera less than $200 by kandeepakrishnan

costco sells the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 for $199.99 now. i recommend that.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: The Lumix dichotomy...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The Lumix dichotomy...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
THe Lumix Dichotomy

This only partially responds to your questions. I would buy the camera at costco and use your AMEX. Costco gives you a 90 day warranty and if you use your American Express it gives you great protection.

- Collapse -
Thank you!

2 great suggestions... That'll help with the decision-making process. Although Costco's price for the ZS3 is actually $260, it's still a great deal... I appreciate the response.

- Collapse -
Which SD Card

I thought I read awhile back on the forum that HD cards have different speeds and that the faster the speed the better the picture. if that is true, can you recommend a good fast HD card?

- Collapse -
Actually...

Faster write speed doesn't mean better picture, but what it does mean is you can take more pics per second. One thing you need to look at is the max write speed for the camera you have. This will usually be the bottleneck of the speed and, after a certain point, buying those expensive, high-speed cards becomes pointless as your camera can't write to the card that fast anyway... ~Cheers

CNET Forums

Forum Info