Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

The Logon User interface DLL, NetGina.dll failed to load

I get the above error message above when I rebooted the Laptop after downloading a Win XP update. I saw a fix on the MS wwebsite which asked me to hit F8 to go into advanced start up and start up using "Last known good configutration." Tried this but still get the error message. I can however start in safe mode. I have the XP setup CD. Please help.

GeoffSri has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Logon User interface DLL, NetGina.dll failed to load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Logon User interface DLL, NetGina.dll failed to load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by GeoffSri

Collapse -
Looks Like AT&T May Have Installed It

In reply to: The Logon User interface DLL, NetGina.dll failed to load

Here's a link about that file name:

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/netgina/435268/

Did you recently install, or uninstall, a new program which is related to AT&T?

Have you checked to see whether a file named: "NetGina.dll" is on the computer? Do a search for it.. If not found, then you need to eliminate any registry entry which is calling for the file.

If it IS found, and the file is legitimate (not a virus), then it may need to be registered. (Scan the computer for viruses and malware first.) Open a command line, then type the command below, then press the "Enter" key.

regsvr32 NetGina.dll

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I uninstalled , an AT&T program, AGNS

In reply to: Looks Like AT&T May Have Installed It

I had the program AT&T Global network client installed. Since I don't work for them anymore I DID Uninstall the program. I do have the program on disk and can reinstall it if you think that will help.

Thanks

Collapse -
And Does the File Exist On Your Machine?

In reply to: I uninstalled , an AT&T program, AGNS

If not, then there's no need to reinstall anything.. Instead, do a registry search for the file name and delete all entries where the file name is used. The registry entries are "calling" for the start-up of the file but if it's not there, then you get the error.. Deleting the "call" eliminates the error.

On the other hand, if the file still exists on the computer, you might consider reinstalling. Of course, you could test by simply deleting the file, or by re-registering it per my earlier suggestion.. Let us know.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problem Solved-Thanks

In reply to: And Does the File Exist On Your Machine?

No the file did not exist. Went into safe mode, Did a search in regedit and deleted all instances of that name.
Rebooted and everything is OK. I am going to write to my old buddys at AT&T and warn them about this.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back !

In reply to: Problem Solved-Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
I see this was discussed before.

In reply to: The Logon User interface DLL, NetGina.dll failed to load

The article is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836683 and it appears the issue is if one installs other Gina's or the Novell client and may happen if the temp folder is encrypted.

Did you encrypt that folder, use the Novell client or replace Gina?

In other words, something is not stock with this XP. While we also have malware, trojans and rootkits that can cause this, more clues are needed if you want to avoid reloading the machine.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.