Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

the little icon

by Cycleman / January 5, 2005 8:53 AM PST

I was browsing a site, which contained several pages with pdfs. When I click on the link, the window does not open the pdf. I get a little icon.

I was actually on the phone with the fellow on the web site, because he was directing me to the correct link to get the information I was looking for.

The little icon is in the upper left corner of the open window space, and has a red square, blue triangle, and a green dot, inside of 1/4" square.

When I mentioned to him that I couldn't get the window to open, he told me to clear my cookies, and delete the temp internet files, which I did.

I have Adobe Reader version 6. IE6, 768 RAM, Pavilion 9870, with 60 Gb HD, 1.3 GHz.

He said that something was wrong on my end, but I've been able to open other pdf sites just fine.

I'm also running a hardwired firewalled router, anti-virus (mcafee) and have SP2. Google pop up blocker, but ctrl doesn't do anything different.

Please advise.

Al

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the little icon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the little icon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that little icon
by pjb1124 / January 5, 2005 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: the little icon

i can't help you with your problem, but i believe that little icon you have there is the symbol for a picture about to be loaded. i'm not sure though.

Collapse -
Adobe Acrobat Reader
by Cursorcowboy / January 5, 2005 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: the little icon

Internet Explorer may display a blank page with a placeholder icon instead of displaying a Portable Document Format (.pdf) file with Adobe Acrobat Reader. This behavior occurs because the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) to the .pdf file does not end in ".pdf" (for example, the file is opened by using script or the file is dynamically generated), and the content-type header (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions [MIME] type) that is returned by the server is "unknown/unknown". Previous versions of IE open Adobe Acrobat Reader as a plug-in but IE6.x does not support Netscape-style plug-ins, which BTW could happen with any unrecognized plug-in, [Q305153] and [Q306790].

Collapse -
Acrobat Reader
by Cycleman / January 5, 2005 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe Acrobat Reader

Cursorcowboy, thanks. This did the trick.

I right clicked the link, "saved target as" to my desktop. When I opened the pdf, using Acrobat Reader, it said that AR wasn't currently configured to open the pdfs directly in IE, and asked me if I wanted to configure it to work that way. I said yes, and when I went back to click on the link at the site, it opened it just fine.

Thanks for this help.

Al

Collapse -
Al, check out ...
by Haole / January 9, 2005 4:42 PM PST
In reply to: Acrobat Reader

or download the new Acrobat Reader Vs. 7. Real neet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?