Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Kill Switch bill. Slippery slope.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 2:33 AM PDT
http://www.cnet.com/news/q-and-a-with-san-francisco-district-attorney-george-gascon-on-smartphone-theft/ for the primer.

It's been proposed for years to have such but my opinion is that I should be able to opt in with the default to opt out.

It's been hard enough to get folk to backup and having this feature is a fine idea but given how buggy the systems are plus exploits and data leaks from companies I can imagine a data breach at Samsung and Apple and the information used to send out the kill command to millions of phones.
Bob
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Kill Switch bill. Slippery slope.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Kill Switch bill. Slippery slope.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tracfone
by James Denison / May 22, 2014 2:56 AM PDT

My daughter either lost or had lifted her Tracfone at school. I called their help number and had the service on it cancelled till a new phone arrived and the service could be transferred and resumed on it. People can't do that with the iPhone?

Collapse -
Service? Yes. But the contacts, photos, and "stuff"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Tracfone

Rarely. But mostly because folk don't backup their stuff.

Collapse -
Yeah but, but ....
by itsdigger / May 22, 2014 7:19 AM PDT

This is all about what we already know....Practice makes perfect...Unless something is implemented ,nothing will be done.

I'd like some kind of fail safe mechanism put in place to deter thefts and breeches. Like If my phone is reported as stolen , that phone is useless to anyone, can't be used , make it like the Mission Impossible tape that self destructs.

If the owner of the phone gets it back than it's reactivated and all well.

Now I know you say
"something's gonna mess up because the switch was flipped and all phones are shut down" but that's what happens when we're learning new tech. Next thing ya know Apple or Android comes out with a patch to fix that and everything's groovy again.

It's like putting serial numbers on diamonds to stop the flow of blood diamonds.
Do we want it? No! But do we need something like that ? I think so...

Digger

Collapse -
What I worry about in this case Digger is Hackers of the
by Rob_Boyter / May 24, 2014 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah but, but ....

Malicious kind. Call them the Hacker Malicious Wink , as opposed to other Militias.
"Anything made by man can be unmade by man." From the soon to be published Unattributed Cliches for Fun and Profit by yours truly.

Rob

Collapse -
Not to say Apple isn't trying to get it done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 8:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
All the more reason...
by Willy / May 22, 2014 1:53 PM PDT

I think I'll stay with my phone or a non-iPhone or S3, etc.. These smart phones, users are getting robbed for them, hacked and just plain used too much. I see so many users walking somewhere with a phone stuck to the head either talking or listening to music. The disconnect is discerning to me if for anything, they'll walk into an open manhole or struck by a car. Yeah, i got for that, I don't use one. I have a real phone and the battery lasts a long time. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Want to see a cover up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: All the more reason...

Research the CIQ ROOTKIT. Discovered, then a lot of "Never mind the man behind the curtain."

Collapse -
So what...
by Willy / May 23, 2014 1:53 AM PDT

The plain fact they've already recorded the whole stream at the IPS/phone center. You think just because you got one thing there's not another. The overall effort is to protect us, but basically it's too much of a two-sided sword. It cuts both ways and one reason I stick with what I got. I have yet to social anything, I just don't care for it and I already know what's on the other side of the curtain. Wonder why the phones need a GPS i/c buried in them. Yeah, sometimes its a miracle saver, getting help to rescue the user, but what about the other 99.9% of the time. adios -----Willy Happy GS-25 1/2

Collapse -
I use my cellphone as my home phone. It's cheaper than a
by Rob_Boyter / May 24, 2014 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: All the more reason...

modem and regular phone, or even the wall jack and a regular phone. It sits in a cup by my bedside. If I'm away from the bedroom watching TV I can't hear it, and don't particularly want to anyway, because it's always a fax line or a telemarketer or a wrong number. The best thing about it is that I quickly run through the voicemails about every 4 days and if someone I want to talk to, I can then programme that number into the phone or at the least call them back.

Rob

Collapse -
I've had this on my Android for a while.
by Diana Forum moderator / May 23, 2014 1:06 AM PDT

My son got his phone stolen and just sent out a message that locked the phone and called the provider and it was put on a list of phones that are lost or stolen and cannot be unlocked. Used to see a lot of these when I worked at AT&T wireless.

I remember, when they first started unlocking phones, we would get a ton of chats from China to unlock phones and, if they didn't have a current or past account with us with that phone, they couldn't be unlocked. They would say they bought it from someone else. We would tell them to go back to that person and have them unlock it. I remember I got three chats from the same person. We were also able to see all the different names that person had used and how many times they had chatted in.

With my son, we got a replacement from the insurance company and got his information from the cloud.

Diana

Collapse -
I don't like the mechanism they're proposing. A built in GPS
by Rob_Boyter / May 24, 2014 7:54 AM PDT

chip, which if it is removed disables the phone permanently seems a smarter way to go, or a password or key or something to disable the device makes more sense to me.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!