The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The irony of Yahoo Music shutting down.....

by Magishine / July 27, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

Ok, Yahoo tells you to burn your music to CD in order to keep listening to it. Anyone notice the irony of this? They're saying to do this to get around the DRM, which shows that the DRM didn't really work that well at all.

I'm sure a lot of people have done that already anyway

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The irony of Yahoo Music shutting down.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The irony of Yahoo Music shutting down.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The irony of Yahoo Music shutting down.....
by wizkids32 / July 27, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

Yep they are weird to say how to get around DRM.

Collapse -
by mementh / July 27, 2008 7:53 AM PDT

DRM has never worked just like collecting data on people helps advertize better (we are just too complex to catoragize somtimes)

Collapse -
Is it telling you to get around the DRM?

They're not saying to rip them back are they? Just to burn them to CD so you don't lose them. Looks to me like they're just advocating backing up.

Collapse -
It still sucks
by Nicholas Buenk / July 28, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

You pay for music you now have to re-rip off a CD you burned. Yahoo should at least partly refund you for getting a lower quality music file, due to the re-ripping, than what you paid for.

Collapse -
Just a matter of time
by skellener / July 30, 2008 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: It still sucks

And when Apple eventually puts DRM to bed, it will be the same thing. DRM needs to go away sooner rather than later.

Collapse -
Not really.....
by Magishine / July 30, 2008 8:10 AM PDT

But then what's the point of DRM in the first place? You can burn them to CD so you can listen to them anytime you want. After making that CD, what's to stop people from making a copy to give to their friends and such? The irony is that DRM doesn't work in the first place, so they were better off selling non DRM'd music.

Collapse -
The point is
by Nicholas Buenk / July 30, 2008 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really.....

If you're selling music, you need to suck up to the record companies, Offering DRM sweetens the deal.

Collapse -
By telling people to burn a CD are they not encouraging
by minimalist / July 30, 2008 3:08 PM PDT

with a nod and a wink that you circumvent DRM and thus violate the DMCA? No matter what the retailer does they can't win. They end up violating the law, violating their contracts with the record companies or they end up taking a huge financial hit to refund or replace music.

It seems to me this is a situation that is ripe for a big class action lawsuit that would once and for all put an end to this practice and hold the record companies accountable.

Collapse -
(NT) The irony is so ironical.
by kwahhn / July 30, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?