General discussion

The instruction at 0xnum referenced memory at 0xnum.

Hi, recently I have started getting the error

The instruction at 0xnum referenced memory at 0xnum. The memory could not be "read"!

(The num changes each time and so does the name in the title bar)

This error mostly appears when I close a program such as netscape, windows media player or switch the printer off (but it doesnt happen all the time and not only when I close things) Somethimes it will happen during playing a game such as Half Life 2 or Call of Duty.

I have done a memory test to see if it is my RAm but it did not come up with any errors.

My Specs:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (I have had this for ages)
512MB DDR Ram
Nvidia FX5200
AMD Athlon 64 3200+

(if you know where i can get more detailed specs to copy and paste here such as driver info aswell please tell me)

Thanks very much

Kris

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: The instruction at 0xnum referenced memory at 0xnum.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The instruction at 0xnum referenced memory at 0xnum.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: The instruction at 0xnum referenced memory at 0xnum.

1. Check your PC for viruses and Spyware.

For the latter : Try Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta). Download, Run and post a report in that thread with what pests it founded.

2. Click Start, Run type cmd and press Enter. Type the following command:

sfc /scannow

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
The instruction at "0xnum" referenced memory etc.

I get this error when I move the mouse over some files in the explorer window. It seems to be associated with the pop-up "alt" information that describes the file. While watching the task manager processes I can see that explorer.exe quits, then it restarts itself after I acknowledge the error. For whatever reason, apparently some files (mostly downloaded files, but I generated a file that does it too) don't have this "alt" information.

I'm running dual Pentium 4 at 3.01 GHz with 1GB RAM. I've run every kind of spyware elimination software I can find (thanks for the tip on Microsofts new acquisition of Giant's spyware tool) so I think I'm clean, and anyway spyware seems to have nothing to do with it. No viruses, etc.

This bug is a real pain, since I cannot select an errant file even to delete it. I have to use DOS to do so.

The kinds of files I'm mostly having trouble with are Windows Media files, but others do it as well.

Anybody have an answer?

howlingMad

- Collapse -
Re: The instruction at "0xnum" referenced memory etc.

Well, because you use cmd prompt commands you seem to be an advanced user (your PC?s configuration reveals this too).

Because you asked me for this one, my best bet is using the ShellExView utility. So, download ShellExView v1.01 (Freeware).

It'll display the details of shell extensions installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable them. Probable you have one that it's causing the crash.
Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Re: The instruction at "0xnum" referenced memory etc. FIXED

Yes! AVI Properties Handler is what I disabled to stop this problem.
Thanks!

howlingMad

- Collapse -
You are welcome [NT]

- Collapse -
happening more often now

Hmm it seems to be happening more often now.
I cannot run sfc /scannow because as I've mentioned on another post I did not get a winxp disk with my pc world computer. I do have one, but that is from another computer and when I try to use it it doesn't seem to recognise it as valid or something.
Any ideas?

- Collapse -
No XP CD = You won't be running XP long.

You'll need to fix this problem before the OS collapses entirely.

Bob

- Collapse -
but how

?

- Collapse -
You didn't reveal...

How this machine came to be without a XP CD, but here's the phone number to get a Microsoft replacement CD. Don't call if this is some pirated OS.

Here's how to order replacement media.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;326246

It's an 800 number and the last time I did this the 2000 CD was under 20 bucks. The XP CD was, according to someone else about the same price.

Bob

- Collapse -
i'll give that a go

its just that pc world did not give me a cd when i purchesed my computer. There is another partition on my drive that has a recovery console on but when i run sfc /scannow it only asks for a cd and i cannot adjust the location.

CNET Forums

Forum Info