Computer Help forum

General discussion

The instruction at "0x75606eb5" referenced memory at "0x0000

by jimaluko / March 18, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

The instruction at "0x75606eb5" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

So I got nailed with this yesterday. It hijacked my computer, flashing the above message whenever I tried to load a new anti spyware program, or run an update, changed my taskbar to a white, older style, disabled my sound (not bleeps), and finally killed my internet connection. I tried booting into safe mode using F8, but after flashing a bunch of lines on a black screen, it froze and I had to manually power down, I tried this repeatedly.

I managed to install Malwarebytes before the connection was gone by renaming the .exe file, ran it and it found 13 files, I had it remove them and reboot, but on reboot the system froze up and I had to manually shut down and restart with the power button. I tried but couldn't install Super Anti Spyware. I was able to run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool by renaming the .exe, and after a 2 hour scan it found and removed a trojan, I think it was Trojan:WinNT/Alureon.C.

After removing this and rebooting, the Windows Classic white toolbar was gone, and I was able to install SuperAntiSpyware. After a long scan it only found AdAware tracking cookies. I tried to update Malwarebytes, but it said there was either no internet connection, or my firewall was blocking it. I checked my firewall and it was off, I turned it back on and tried to make Antimalwarebytes and exception, but it wouldn't let me.

So I still can't connect to the internet in order to update Malwarebytes or AntiSuperSpyware or Antivir, which would hopefully knock out the rest of the junk. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The instruction at "0x75606eb5" referenced memory at "0x0000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The instruction at "0x75606eb5" referenced memory at "0x0000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SuperAntiSpyware could not repair the connection
by jimaluko / March 18, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

I tried to open superantispyware preferences, go to the repairs tab, scrolled down, clicked the "repair broken network connection (winsock)..." clicked "perform repair". Once done restarted and tried the internet. It was still unable to connect.

Collapse -
virus is back
by jimaluko / March 18, 2009 7:16 AM PDT

I tried uninstalling the dual band pci wireless and when attempting to reinstall after rebooting my task bar went white in the old windows classic style again. Now when I go to control panel, the firewall is off and when I try to turn it on, it says unable to configure. Also, when I try to enable the wireless connection it's unable. It cannot find the network.

Collapse -
Was finally able to boot in safe mode
by jimaluko / March 18, 2009 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: virus is back

I copied the latest Malwarebytes and AntiSuperspyware updates onto a cd on another computer and added them to mine in safe mode. I am now running new scans in safe mode and hoping they find something.

Collapse -
Trojan.agent C:\WINDOWS\System 32\gaopdxcounter
by jimaluko / March 18, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

I ran an updated Malwarebytes in safe mode, and after an 1 and 20 minute full scan, it found and removed a Trojan.agent C:\WINDOWS\System 32\gaopdxcounter. I'm now running an updated SuperAntiSpyware scan in safe mode.

Collapse -
good gried
by jimaluko / March 18, 2009 12:38 PM PDT

an updated SuperAntiSpyware found nothing in a safe mode scan, now rescanning with the latest Microsoft Malcious Software Removal tool, thinking of adding Spywareterminator, Dr. Web, and PCtools into the mix...or should I just give up?

Collapse -
Trojan:Win32/Alureon.C
by jimaluko / March 19, 2009 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: good gried

I downloaded the latest Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool on another computer, burned it onto cd, updated my computer with it in safe mode and after a full scan it found and removed a trojan which I think was Trojan:Win32/Alureon.C. I'm now running a full Dr. Web scan in safe mode, so far it found and deleted 3 BackDoor.Tdss.106 files in thetmp14.tmp, tmp20.tmp and tmp16.tmp folders

Collapse -
http://remove-malware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=785
by jimaluko / March 19, 2009 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Trojan:Win32/Alureon.C

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!