Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

The Image Of Some Of My Icons Disappear After

by Victim / October 30, 2003 10:05 PM PST

Okay, I got a "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400" video/graphics card. I restart my computer after I update to the most recent drivers for Windows XP. After boot up most of the images of the icons on my desktop and throughout the rest of my hard drive disappear. Though all my programs still work, this problem still is very irritating. So if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this or if there's any more information I need to give...please let me know I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks Happy

-TOM-

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Image Of Some Of My Icons Disappear After
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Image Of Some Of My Icons Disappear After
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:The Image Of Some Of My Icons Disappear After
by David Chan / October 30, 2003 10:16 PM PST

If you have another user profile switch to it and see if the same problem exists.

You can try running System File Checker to see if it'll fix this problem.
http://www.anzwers.org/free/xpdsl/sfc.htm

Or use System Restore back to when it worked but the Video Driver will be removed.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

Another thing you can try is use TweakUI which has a utility to rebuild Icons but not sure if it'll fix this problem.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Collapse -
Re:Re:The Image Of Some Of My Icons Disappear After
by Victim / October 30, 2003 11:02 PM PST

Okay, I've tried everything you've said except the "System Restore," because I do wish to keep my current drivers. The UI Tweak did rebuild my icons but didn't fix my "no icon image problem." I attempted to do the "System File Checker" but I needed the Windows XP CD to continue, which is in the hands of the person who built my computer. I can get the Windows XP CD and go through with the "System File Checker," but it would take a bit of time to get ahold of him. So if you believe that this procedure will fix my problem I will do so, but I'd rather try some more ideas, if any, before I put my last hope on getting the OS installation disk and proceeding with the "SFC". So if there's anymore ideas of how to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks again!

-TOM-

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:The Image Of Some Of My Icons Disappear After
by David Chan / October 30, 2003 11:08 PM PST

Check in the root of the programs directory for the affected S/W and see if the icons are there.

If so you can delete the the defective ones from your Desktop and create new ones.

BTW, why is you XP CD being held by someone else?
You should have it in your possession as without it you won't be able to fix XP as you'll need to access the Recovery Console and SFC.

Collapse -
You could try deleting your icon cache
by trytohelp / October 31, 2003 6:20 AM PST

It's at C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\iconcache.db
You might need to show hidden files in windows exployer, the cache will rebuild on restart of pc.

Collapse -
You fix this from here. I fix icon cache problem like this.
by aloe4real / October 14, 2013 10:27 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.