General discussion

The homepage is frozen in time!

I'm teaching a friend how to use his computer. He is using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.

I have installed au.yahoo as the homepage. However, the news on this homepage is now a couple of months old. Each time I open a new browser window, it shows today's date but the news headlines are 28th February 2010 - the date I installed the home page.

I suggested to my friend that he temporarily change his homepage to 'The Age' (newspaper) www.theage.com.au - so that he can read up-to-date news. But the same thing has happened with this page! I changed it on the 31st March, and each day when he opens this page, the current date is shown, but the news items remain those of the 31st March! So this homepage news is frozen too! A link to view the day's paper works ok, but the news items on the home page don't change.

I emailed Yahoo to report this problem, and they gave me some ideas to try -

? Clearing the cache
? Disabling Internet Browser Add-ons / Plug-ins
? Temporarily disabling Anti-virus/Anti-spy and Firewall Products

(and starting a new browser each time). I did all these but there was no change.

Next they asked me for the source code which I gave them -
<!-- p6.www.aue.yahoo.com compressed/chunked Sun Feb 28 17:50:08 EST 2010 -->

They replied on the 8th April (2 weeks ago) that they have passed the matter on to their engineering team for further investigation.

Has anyone ever had this problem and if so, what can I do to fix it?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: The homepage is frozen in time!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The homepage is frozen in time!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
2 ideas.

1. Press Control+F5 to refresh.
2. Go into tools => internet options; on the general tab, click on "settings" and then click the "every visit to the page" option.

Good luck. And sorry, I just use Firefox, Chrome, or "other than IE."
Bob

- Collapse -
Homepage frozen in time!

Hi Bob,

Your second idea was the solution!! I can't believe this but his setting was 'never'!! I have no idea why it was set up that way. No wonder it was never refreshing! Any setting on his computer is inherited from the family member who gave it to him, but I don't know why anyone would not want a homepage (or any other webpage) to refresh each time.

Such a simple solution but I hadn't thought of it myself, so thank you very much!!

Helen

- Collapse -
You are the refreshing one.

Sometimes it's better to just ask and hope someone has a few ideas.

I'm sure this is not the only cause but with 127 settings in these browsers I bet I have one wrong.
Bob

- Collapse -
Well you got this one right!

I checked my own setting and it's on 'automatic' which I imagine has much the same effect as 'every visit'. I think I'll write to yahoo tech support and increase their knowledge base - they seem to be still thinking about it! lol

Thanks again Bob....much appreciated!

Helen

CNET Forums

Forum Info