HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

The group policy security settings that apply to this machin

by zenipod / July 8, 2010 3:17 AM PDT

My PC is running WinXP SP3. When I run MSConfig and deselect items from my startup a message "access denied message was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to logon using an administrator account to make the specified changes" is displayed and I'm logged in with an account that is in the Administrators Group. The changes are made but it always displays this message when I try to make a change. If I remove Norton Internet Security Suite 2010 the problem is resolved. Symantec Support is aware of the problem and is currently investigating this. Norton Internet Security Suite 2010 has been reinstalled on the PC.

As a result of the problem from above, I was curious if my security was affected in any way and when I accessed my secpol.msc and also the User Rights Assignment and Security Options folders (only) in Secpol.msc the following message comes up ...

The group policy security settings that apply to this machine could not be determined. The error returned when trying to retrieve these settings from the local security database (%windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb) was: The parameter is incorrect. All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will be given as to whether or not a given security setting is defined by group policy. Any local security setting modified through this User Interface may subsequently be overridden by domain level policies.

If you remove Norton Internet Security Suite 2010 the problem still exists. Norton Internet Security Suite 2010 has been reinstalled again.

I'm able to still create a user account, login and install an application with that account. I can also install apps with my account which is an admin account. I've never used the Secpol.msc. Do I need to be concerned with the group policy error message in the Secpol.msc described above? It appears to have not affected the security of the PC at least for the main functions that I use on the PC. Is there anything else that I should test on the security of the PC since I'm receiving this message in the Secpol.msc? Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The group policy security settings that apply to this machin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The group policy security settings that apply to this machin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That looks to be correct since ...

you say you have never set any local policies.

Collapse -
The group policy security settings that apply to this machin
by zenipod / July 8, 2010 6:50 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you saying that it looks to be correct since I never set any local policies? So you're saything that this message is normal if you don't set any local policies?

I never set any policies from Secpol.msc. The only area that I can recall where I set policies is in Computer Management - Local Users and Groups, where I may have set "password never expires", deselected "user must change password at next logon" for the 2 accounts that I created and I added my account to the "Local Administrators" Group. But I don't even think that this is considered to be the same local policies that are configued in Secpol.msc. Just an FYI, this is a home PC that doesn't belong to a Domain.

If you are confirming if I set any local policies, why do you ask?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.