Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The gospel of the backlash.

A good read.

Red-State America Against Itself
by Thomas Frank
- Common Dreams

That our politics have been shifting rightward for more than thirty years is a generally acknowledged fact of American life. That this rightward movement has largely been accomplished by working-class voters whose lives have been materially worsened by the conservative policies they have supported is a less comfortable fact, one we have trouble talking about in a straightforward manner.

And yet the backlash is there, whenever we care to look, from the "hardhats" of the 1960s to the "Reagan Democrats" of the 1980s to today's mad-as-hell "red states." You can see the paradox first-hand on nearly any Main Street in middle America -- "going out of business" signs side by side with placards supporting George W. Bush.

No foolin', check it out.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The gospel of the backlash.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The gospel of the backlash.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: The gospel of the backlash.

In reply to: The gospel of the backlash.

Hi, Bob,

I heard a TV interview with Mr. Frank a couple of days ago re: his book, "What's the Matter with Kansas? : How Conservatives Won the Heart of America."

I found his observations quite interesting. Apparently "It's the economy, stupid!" would not fly in this election, as the state of the personal economic interests is over-ridden by certain beliefs and fears.

Definitely not a book for everyone, but interesting for us who enjoy opinion.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I don't get the Culture War at all.

In reply to: Re: The gospel of the backlash.

Hi Angeline,

Most of my friends are hardhats (though none would be caught dead in the actual hat). Most of them think "Liberal" is something threatening, icky or girly-man. Being a carpenter is a funny kind of a job. Most of the time you don't really need to talk about what you're doing with the guys you're doing it with. We get into some of the gall-dernest discussions. And there's no place to stop. From what I can tell, nothing that went before and nothing that's likely to come after matters very much. Your political affiliation is like the clothes you wear. Got'a wear the right clothes ya know.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: I think you got something there

In reply to: The gospel of the backlash.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.