Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The good old days.... yea, right

by Mary Kay / November 22, 2003 9:28 PM PST

An actual article from Housekeeping Monthly May 13, 1955
(They HAD to be kidding, right?)

a.. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.

b.. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

c.. Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

d.. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.

e.. During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

f.. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.

g.. Be happy to see him.

h.. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

i.. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

j.. Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

k.. Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through a t work.

l.. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

m.. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

n.. Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

o.. A good wife always knows her place.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The good old days.... yea, right
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The good old days.... yea, right
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ya know, I remember those days, and I sure don't remember
by IanC_OZ / November 22, 2003 9:49 PM PST

any of those actions or attitudes VVBG

Ian

Collapse -
then, you don't remember it well :-) (NT)
by Mary Kay / November 22, 2003 9:56 PM PST

Collapse -
That sounds really cool :)
by SteveGargini / November 22, 2003 10:48 PM PST

It's ok Mary you can put that gun down Happy

Collapse -
And Snopes says...
by Paula Rae / November 22, 2003 11:36 PM PST

Because the exact magazine name did not ring a bell with me, I did a google search just on the magazine name and had several hits only to this exact article with the same date, May 13 1955. Some appeared to have a scanned image of the article, complete with an illustration.

Now that I think about it--if a magazine has "monthly" in its name, would it have a more precise date on the article? Not likely.

Here's what Snopes has to say:
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.htm

I'm sure that in the mid fifties, many women's magazines spouted some of this kind of advice, I just don't buy this one.

Happy
Paula

Collapse -
Re:The good old days.... yea, right
by Roger NC / November 22, 2003 11:55 PM PST

While not endorsing the list (I like living too much for that, LOL), remember also that many if not most women didn't work outside the home then.

While that was plenty of work, it makes a difference. I will go so far as say that I'd expect a bit more from a wife that didn't work outside the home than one who did.

roger

Collapse -
Although the list went way over the line Roger
by SteveGargini / November 23, 2003 2:12 PM PST

It is an interesting observation that the divorce rate has increased quite considerably since women have been going out to work in larger numbers. I believe that this situation has put quite a strain on relationships, especially when men resent doing any house work.

Collapse -
Re:Although the list went way over the line Roger
by Dan McC / November 24, 2003 2:05 AM PST

You mean, of course, that 'some' men resent an type of housework.

Dan

Collapse -
Oh yeh Dan - only some men - but enough to cause problems :(
by SteveGargini / November 24, 2003 3:07 AM PST

Doesn't include myself. I do washing up the dishes,
and push the vacuum around. Not to mention hanging up the washing, and cleaning the bath tub.
It wouldn't be fair to leave all the house work to the lady of the house when she hasn't got any more time than the partner.

Collapse -
Men who cause problems for their wives
by Dan McC / November 24, 2003 3:13 AM PST

are going to cause them whether or not the wife works or keeps a house running like a finely tuned machine or both. Jerks are just jerks.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:Although the list went way over the line Roger
by SE Moderators / November 24, 2003 5:33 AM PST

Hi, Steve.

I don't think women working has much to do with the divorce rate. I thin the two largest factors are that it's not as socially a stigma, and also that kids these days are used to being handed life on a silver platter, and tend to bail at the first hint of problems. Good relationships are hard work, and I think too many now believe in "and they lived happily ever after." I'm not saying that's not the end result of a good relationship/marriage -- just that the happy ending didn't just happen as a matter of course.
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
On the other hand.
by Dan McC / November 24, 2003 5:52 AM PST

Women are more able to divorce now because they do have an indepenent, although usually not sufficient, income.

Dan

Collapse -
also Dave
by SteveGargini / November 24, 2003 6:52 AM PST

If we were to compare the women of today to how they were fifty odd years ago, we would see a much more confident woman, and someone who will question her lot in life. She will no longer put up with all the bad experiences, generally speaking, and of course the divorse laws have shifted very much in her favour now.
You are absolutely right about the hard work required to make a marriage work, something some people are just not prepared to put into it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Although the list went way over the line Roger
by Roger NC / November 28, 2003 3:01 AM PST

I'd agree about multiple causes.

Women working for an income does have a part though. As one of the other posts mentions, having independent income can make it easier to leave.

The social conditioning that you have to be married as a career for women has gone. And that may have as much to do with it as anything. Yes, the stigma of divorce being less is important, as well as the idea of instant gratification expectations.

But working makes it harder even for couples that try I think. Particularly when both, or even one sometimes, have careers they're interested in doing, not just jobs with paychecks. Spending lots of time apart, particularly in different types of work, can contribute to drifting apart of interest. Espcially when one or both spend a lot more than the 40 hour work week involved in work.

Unfortunately, as two income couples have become normal, it's also normal to live spending that entire income, so there's pressure on both to keep bringing the money in. With today's uncertainity in job security (and it's been getting worse for longer than some recognize) that can frazzle both parties nerves at work. They both bring that frustation home and often end up acting on it there.

Not blaming working women at all. Just noting that it helps contribute to stress at home as well as the man's job.

roger

Collapse -
Re:The good old days.... yea, right ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!
by Glenda / November 24, 2003 7:02 AM PST

when were we supposed to have time to do all this?? Before or after WE get off work?? After the kids are fed and bathed and put to bed? What 15 Minutes are left in the day to rest, freshen up and greet HIM with a smile and dinner??? LOL
In my house we all ate at the same time and usually it was something that took about 30 minutes to fix! Then the kids were bathed and put to bed and we had from about 8 to 10 pm to rest from the kids and the day together! And IF he had the nerve to stay out all night he would definetly NOT been met with understanding!!! LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.