Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

The forum website doesn't load right

by glb613 / December 13, 2008 4:18 AM PST

on my Dell 8300 XP desktop. None of the images show and everything is in one long list. It's the same whether I use Opera, Firefox or Internet Explorer. The same web site is fine on my Vista notebook using the same browsers. I've compared the settings and the two computers' browsers are the same. Anyone know why it won't load properly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The forum website doesn't load right
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The forum website doesn't load right
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Website? And Do You Use A HOSTS File?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 4:47 AM PST

A HOSTS file which blocks all the advertisements in a page can make a webpage look like that..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
This web site
by glb613 / December 13, 2008 4:56 AM PST

I haven't been able to access these forums on my Dell for months. How do I check the Hosts files?

Collapse -
Please Provide A URL
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: This web site

Unfortunately, you haven't given us any further information than you did in your earlier post.. Is it a new or old machine? Have you scanned for malware? If so, which tools have you used? Are you running Service Pack 3 on your XP machine? Installed all Windows Updates? The more information you can provide, the better informed our answer will be.

Tried installing the newest Java?

And to check out your HOSTS file, follow the path below and open the HOSTS file (with no file extension) using Notepad. If you find any URL entries related to CNET there, you'll need to remove them. Then again, if you had a HOSTS file which was designed to block advertisements, you would know about it..

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
It''s fixed.
by glb613 / December 13, 2008 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Please Provide A URL

The web site is forums.cnet.com. I found the host folder and deleted the contents. Everything is back and working fine. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Uhh....HOSTS Folder? Not A Good Thing To Delete
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: It''s fixed.

...It's not a good idea to delete everything that's inside the "ETC" folder..There are a number of files that "should" be there.. On the other hand, if you're referring to the HOSTS "file", then renaming the "HOSTS" file to "HOSTS.txt" is a better idea.. Or, best of all, if you simply clean out the "forums.cnet.com" listings from within the HOSTS "file", then things should run normally PLUS you have protection against certain types of popups..

The HOSTS file DOES serve a purpose..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Too late
by glb613 / December 13, 2008 9:21 AM PST

I already deleted it. I ran Spyware Blaster and immunized with Spybot. They created a new folder with over 250 entries. I'm glad to be able to read this forum again.

Collapse -
Deleted What?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Too late

You still haven't correctly indicated what you deleted..Did you simply delete the HOSTS file (because there is no HOSTS "folder" as you previously stated..)... Or did you delete ALL items inside the "etc" folder..

Deleting the HOSTS folder isn't a major problem because you can easily create a new one should you ever need it.. On the other hand, the "etc" folder contains "Services" and "Protocol" files which serve a purpose for Windows..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I deleted the hosts files
by glb613 / December 14, 2008 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Deleted What?

not the etc folder. If I typed folder, I'm sorry to have mislead you. There were a bunch of files mostly hosts backup files. Since I delete them, my computer is running better than it has for a while.

I wonder how forums.cnet.com got into the host file? All I know is the web site wouldn't load properly and I couldn't read it. Thanks for your help. This is a great place for information and problem solving.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!