Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

"The file 'asms' on Windows Xp Professional Cd-Rom is needed

by aznkidd209 / April 13, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

I booted up my pc this morning and it wouldn't boot. It said detecting IDE drives... So I decided to pop in my windows xp disc and tried to repair the installation. However, when it gets to the repair screen, it says "The file 'asms' on Windows Xp Professional Cd-Rom is needed. I don't know why it is saying this because this never happened to me before. I've tried the support from microsoft but this is not working either. I try to install a fresh copy of windows xp but the screen won't come up when I put the disc in, it just boots up normally to the screen that says "The file 'asms' on Windows Xp Professional Cd-Rom is needed. Now, I can't go on my PC and I cannot install a new windows installation. Please help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "The file 'asms' on Windows Xp Professional Cd-Rom is needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "The file 'asms' on Windows Xp Professional Cd-Rom is needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell exactly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

What steps you did from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

That article works but when I see this I often find an old machine with XP on some CDR media. All that can be fixed but sometimes you find a person that thinks it's not the old machine.
Bob

Collapse -
-
by aznkidd209 / April 13, 2009 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell exactly

The steps I did was

Hard disk formatted with NTFS file system
Method 1

After I did that method, I closed regedit and then it still pops up saying the asms thingy... I've also rebooted and it still pops up.

Collapse -
And does the issues in Method 3 apply?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2009 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: -

That is, is this XP on a CDR? If so, get the original out.

Collapse -
??
by aznkidd209 / April 13, 2009 10:15 AM PDT

This is an Xp but what is a CDR? And unfortunately, I don't have the original disc.

Collapse -
Thats ok.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

This issue is quite common with copies on CDR media. Just call up Microsoft and ask for a fresh one. Last time it was 35 bucks and worth every penny since it fixed the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
k
by aznkidd209 / April 13, 2009 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats ok.

Oh ok, I think my sister has the original disc but I don't know. I'll call up Microsoft if my sister does not have the disc. Thanks again Bob.

Collapse -
by aznkidd209 / April 14, 2009 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: k

Can someone help me because I don't know how to get the windows xp professional bootable cd disc from Microsoft. Can someone give me the direct link to where they tell you about these discs. Please and thank you.

Collapse -
Here's the link to the order lines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: ..
Collapse -
?
by aznkidd209 / April 15, 2009 8:03 AM PDT

Sorry for asking but is it free to call them?

Collapse -
For me? Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

Sorry. I'm really sorry but has no one told you about 800 numbers in the USA?

Collapse -
by aznkidd209 / April 15, 2009 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: For me? Yes.

Nope not really. Never paid attention to those numbers. Anways I have another problem if you know what it is. When I attempted to install windows xp using the burned disc of the original, it said this.

Windows XP Professional Setup

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows Xp. To continue, press ENTER.

Collapse -
Could be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 12:41 PM PDT

Let's say you have a working XP Pro CD. Now let's see what it thinks of an IDE drive that's been partitioned over 127GB and formatted NTFS.

Blammo. It can't find it.

This and SATA drives will fail like that.

Nothing busted here. Just technology moving beyond a XP Pro CD capability.

-> Yes a XP SP2 Pro CD fixes this one but not the Sata drive.
Bob

Collapse -
by aznkidd209 / April 15, 2009 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Could be proper.

So what do you think I should do... Because I'm at a lost here. I really don't know what to do anymore..

Collapse -
Try being very detailed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

I offered my last reply to show why details matter. The issues of hard disk types and sizes and how this plays into repairing or installing XP has outstripped many home user capabilities.

But in these forums we try very hard to help everyone learn up or find a way.

I re-read your posts and can't find the minor details that would lead me to write "get a XP SP2 CD" or supply a link about the XP SATA issues.

Then again, what tells us the hard disk has not failed?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!