HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The E.I.E. network

by netsky / October 29, 2004 8:54 AM PDT

of geneology progressions.

Today I heard Steven Baldwin on Linda Vesters' "Dayside" urbanely state:

"I have a certain talent"

Nobody batted an eye at this rather startling, open display of what might be called prideful ego.

No, in fact a moment or two later after another self-congratualation by the handsome actor-conservative, the crowd gave wild approbations.

Now for me, for your approbations or brickbats:

I have a certain talent. I have an evident talent morphing my opponents' most cherished simplistications into cudgels to swing at them.

I am, as noted the other day, first cousin twice removed of American Muckraker, Drew Pearson.

And i'd never looked up his life or personality on the web until the other day.

His first cousin, my paternal grandmother, was his near-exact contemporary. Four years younger is all.

Of the few tangible reminders of her life i have her Eagle Grove High School year book of 1917

In it i read that she has won that high school's annual Declamatory Contest.

That would be a sort of public speaking contest where the judging is over the elegance moreso than a debate-form of contest.

Also found is a gold-filled award badge for her win of that forgotten event. "first prize EGHS Declamatory Contest '17"

And so, from a couple of hundred students she earned an honor for good wit and intelligence in speaking. She also edited the yearbook and penned much of its text.

The Drew and this Fern seem to have put some small part of themselves into me by genetics, alone.

I am no Story Of Patsy (fern wolfe, Declamatory Winner,'17) and I am no original muckracker.

But I -do- have a certain un-asked-for talent with words, which lately has blossomed and is serving me well as a sportive agent against the cockups of the cocksures.

Mine is the story of a former patsy, reformed into a Patrick Henry, in the sense that I've translated from a genuinely small ego on SE to an outsized and outlandishly outspoken writer of tripe and terror, spellings and misspeling but always a provocateur.

So, I have a certain, small talent of egocentric impetous and natural origin.

I do not think myself -better- for this. Perhaps Steven Baldwin is the same and similarly justified in asserting is ego with "i have a certain talent"

The story of an ex-patsy. Fun for me. Choking for -them-.

E.I.E. Network? Why, my Geneologically derived small talent for printed declamation. Excellence in Elocution.. A right smart, laughing pat on my own backside's ego event tho in particular:

I cannot type
I canot spell
half i write
is simply tripe.

But the best 25 percent of me! OH that makes up for all the other flaws in my weave.

Olive Fern Wolfe of 1917, you are gone and forgotten to the entire world that knew you in life, except to me. I am your last rememberer. You carried the familiar names of two kinds of gentle greenery. Through you and your cousin, Drew descends myself and part of your green peacefullness, and just as largely, his carnivore dentition of printed words.

thank you both, posthumously from my very late start in a hoped-for socially productive life and the muckracker of this tiny sausage encasement so stuffed, so full of itself and of me; this Speakeasy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The E.I.E. network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The E.I.E. network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.