Phones forum

General discussion

The Droid Failure

by jmrome / December 3, 2009 7:02 AM PST

This is a list of basics to Mobile PC that CAN NOT be done with the Droid:
1) Can't view a Tiff file
2) Can't save any type of file (except jpg)
3) Can't cut, copy & paste sections from an email or browser
4) Can't access SD card (except through a computer)
5) Can't call a number if an extension or description is written next to number (e.g. xxx-xxx-xxxx direct) results in Verizon can't connect call.
6) Can't access call log history or other applications while in phone conversation, must use "only speaker mode" to enable changes
7) Can't make "one touch" calling (no phone tags); no key assignments
Cool Can't tether (update expected 1st Qtr 2010)
9) Can't leave a voice note
10) Can't send a self recorded "wav" file by email.
11) Can't attach a file for sending
12) Can't connect my bluetooth "Think Outside the Box" portable keyboard. It will pair but won't connect.
13) Can't call Motorola US for help, outsourced to 3rd world & difficult language barrier with no solutions.

As a personal device assistant (PDA) the Droid is a comfortable, slick piece of equipment that has potential to be the Verizon "iPhone" replacement but as yet it doesn't appear to even be close. So, I am returning my Droid, going back to my sad old PC Mobile technology & wait for the "iPhone" to be released by Verizon in the 4th Qtr of 2010.

I may not have as much fun using my old "smart phone"; but at least I will be able to "work" productively.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Droid Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Droid Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Droid USER failure
by lithien77 / December 3, 2009 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: The Droid Failure

I don't mean to be rude but MANY of the items in your list of things that can not be done on the droid, I do just fine. Perhaps you just need to visit some sites that will teach you how to navigate on your new phone. There are many built in features that are really enhanced by the over 10,000 apps you can download, many for free I might add. Think about it, if you cant do something, Google it, trust me another user has figured it out, you know their are quit a few of us droid users out there. But if you must return your phone, go ahead I am sure it will go to happy home that is willing to learn how to use it before talking smack.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2009 3:07 AM PST

It's a change.

That is, I'm finding owners and buyers that think of these like Personal Computers. So far not one does everything for everyone.

Make it do everything and you hear "Too complicated."
Make it do one thing well and "Doesn't do the other things."
Make it do many things and "It don't do this!"

Collapse -
Some of those may be carrier imposed limitations
by Pepe7 / December 8, 2009 3:52 AM PST

Verizon (ahem) is somewhat known for locking down certain functionality (such as that email attachment issue), although truth be told, I'm not sure this is as bad on their latest WM phones like the TP2. Not sure why you even bothered with an arguably "beta" Droid handset when they have a perfectly tweakable TP2 in their stable. 'Get things done' (GTD) usually implies going with what's been around the block and tested thoroughly.

Perhaps Android 3.0 will work out some of those current shortcomings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?