Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

The Driver Nvidia, crashed.

by joeeoh12345 / December 24, 2008 12:17 PM PST

Hey people,

I'm in a bit of a pickle, I was installing some beta drivers from nvidia on my gaming desktop just for fun, but when I restarted the computer can't run for more then 3 minutes until it crashes, so I need to go back and reverse the drivers i installed or get rid of them. The dilemma here is that I'm not exactly sure what I need to do, nor can I BOOT INTO SAFE MODE, which has been an issue for me for about a year now. Whenever I begin to login in safe mode the computer abruptly restarts before it even reaches the desktop. Here are the desktop's specs:

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 Motherboard
intel core 2 duo e6550
evga nvidia 9800gtx+
2gb of ddr2 ram
550wt pwrsupply
Netgear wireless card
soundblaster audigy SE card
2 cd/dvd drives
2 sata HDDs one 160gb and one 500gb the 500 is logical the 160 prime

I have a blacx HDD dock so I can use my internal HDD as an external, and I have a 250gb external at my disposal. It would really be a Christmas miracle if you could help me solve both these problems.

Thanks,
Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Driver Nvidia, crashed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Driver Nvidia, crashed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you can't boot to safe mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 9:53 PM PST

A lot of the repair methods that were easy are not usable. This leaves us with 2 common repairs and the real fix of the OS install.

Here's the 2 common repairs you can research Google.com about:

1. XP REPAIR INSTALL
2. XP PARALLEL INSTALL

Item one is well documented. Item two is used when I want to get easy and full acceess to a failed OS's registry and files. There is NO STEP BY STEP to cure your failed OS. Item ONE is the only one with deep docuementation where as item TWO is great stuff you have to be comfortable with troubleshooting the OS, know how to use the tools and have an idea what you want to do with the busted OS.
Bob

Collapse -
The Driver Nvidia, Crashed
by ColTom2 / December 24, 2008 11:39 PM PST

Hi Joe:

The easiest way I feel to resolve your problem would be to try this. Open Device Manager>Display Adapters>Right click on your Nvidia Adapter>Properties>Driver Tab>and click on "Roll Back Driver".

Hopefully this will restore it back to the previous driver that you had no problems with.

ColTom2

Collapse -
The Driver Nvidia, Crashed
by ColTom2 / December 25, 2008 12:02 AM PST

Hi Joe:

I forgot to mention your SafeMode problem. On some computers getting into SafeMode is harder than others. Your problem might be the way you are using the F8 key. Upon reboot as soon as you see the black screen start clicking on the F8 key as off and on repeatedly and quickly. If you get another black screen click on F8 again and hold it down until you get another screen.

If you still cannot access SafeMode when you see the first black screen after reboot hold the F8 key down and do not release until you get another screen. Once you get a screen you might have to use your arrow keys to select the SafeMode option.

If none of the above works here is an alternate method of getting into SafeMode for XP:

To use the System Configuration Utility method....
Close all open programs.
Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
The computer restarts in Safe mode.
Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer.

ColTom2

Collapse -
farther
by joeeoh12345 / December 25, 2008 3:11 AM PST

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the advice, but its not that I can't get the safe mode choice, its that when i hit safemode and it gets to the Winows Login screen I click Administrator or My name and the computer just restarts for no reason.

Collapse -
SafeMode
by ColTom2 / December 25, 2008 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: farther

Hi Joe:

Is your computer now set up where you have to Logon with password to boot up to Windows?

If this is the case I think that we can Tweak your system etc to where you can get into SafeMode. For starters if your system now requires you to enter password go to Control Panel>User Accounts and change the Password to blank. Now try getting into SafeMode.

Please advise on the above and we can go further if need be with Powertoys For Windows XP.

ColTom2

Collapse -
Tweak UI Power Toys for Windows XP
by ColTom2 / December 25, 2008 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: SafeMode

Hi Joe:

Go to this MS website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

Look over to the right side of page for Tweak UI (147 KB) and click on it for download and Save the file TweakUI.exe. Now double click on Saved file with all open programs including your AV closed prior.

After installation it most likely did not create a desktop icon, but it is now listed in your All Programs. Reboot your computer.

Open the newly installed TweakUI and go down to the bottom of the screen and you will find "Logon" and click on the plus sign to open folder. Now click on "Autologon" and put a check by "Logon automatically at system start up". Be sure and click on Apply and OK to close.

Reboot and your computer should now Startup automatically without all the Windows sign-in etc. If not go back and open "Autologon" and click on "Set Password", then Apply and OK.

Once it boots successfully automatically then hopefully when you try to access SafeMode you will not have previous problems,

ColTom2

Collapse -
Denied
by joeeoh12345 / December 25, 2008 1:42 PM PST

I'm sorry Tom, but I cannot do any of the things you have listed because I cannot enter windows at the moment, because of the nvidia driver. I can start for about a minute and the system freezes then crashes. Right now I am using my XP cd's partition recovery to see if it will fix my computer. So I have to figure out a way to roll back the driver without entering XP normally. Also, I do not have a password to enter windows.

Collapse -
Denied
by ColTom2 / December 25, 2008 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Denied

Hi Joe:

Lots of luck! If you cannot you might consider posting your problem on Microsoft Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics and microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. You can cross post by using both these addresses in your one email. You will need to subscribe to these specific Newsgroups in order to make your posting. Also be sure to include your OS i.e. XP SP3 etc.

They have some pretty sharp MVP's (volunteers similar to moderators) and hopefully one can get you going again.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.