Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

"the driver failed to allocate memory"

by sorrso / July 14, 2011 9:53 PM PDT

I've been getting the blue screen of death lately, maybe once a week on start-up. OS is Windows XP.

Looking at event viewer for this a.m. I have the above message under the system tab.

The blue screen message is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL the word "driver" was not before IRQL

I have written down the technical codes from the bottom of the message if that's of any help...it's certainly beyond my grasp.

The only hardware we've installed lately has been WiFi (is that hardware?) last fall and a sound system after Christmas. The BSOD has been popping up for the last couple of months.

Can you help me fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "the driver failed to allocate memory"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "the driver failed to allocate memory"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
part 2
by sorrso / July 14, 2011 11:41 PM PDT

After I posted I removed some programs and needed to do a restart; I got the BSOD again. This time the message was "an attempt was made to write to read only memory."

Collapse -
Usually drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: part 2

As you don't have access to drivers to fix the errors you are left to guess what driver is failing and then ask for a fix or replace the device.

There is one thought here and that is if the disk space was too low and you didn't let Windows manage memory you could get that error.

I will not assume you changed those settings.
Bob

Collapse -
free space
by sorrso / July 15, 2011 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Usually drivers.

I have 26 GB free on my C drive. I have not changed settings for letting Windows manage memory.

Now what?

Collapse -
Try that then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: free space

In Windows XP, goto the Control Panel and open System. In the new window, open the Advanced tab.

Then, click "Performance" Settings button, New window, click the Advanced tab. Under "Virtual memory" click the Change button.

New window, select the option that says, "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives", (or similar wording).

Click OK/Apply/OK/Apply/OK, (as many times as required).

See if that halts these errors. Letting the system manage virtual memory, (also known as the Page iFile), is usually the best.

The settings may not take place until the next reboot.

Mark

Collapse -
rats
by sorrso / July 16, 2011 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Try that then

Unfortunately that didn't work. On the restart I got the BSOD again with the message I reported in my initial post: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Other things that may or may not be useful:

*this morning when I started the computer after shutting down last night (always done from the start button) I got the Mozilla message "oops, this is embarrassing" which it generally displays after a bad shutdown (like after the BSOD or if the power goes out)

*after I restarted from this last BSOD I got the message "the system has recovered from a serious error" which is only the second time with all my BSOD messages

*I have an ancient graphics controller (and probably everything else) if that makes any difference

Thank you for helping me.

Collapse -
That's a great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: rats

What we know is that as changes happen for security and more, it can break like this.

For example those browsers use more and more video calls until, oops.

Tell more about this ancient thing.
Bob

Collapse -
driver
by sorrso / July 16, 2011 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a great clue.

Intel 82865G graphics controller
version 6.14.10.4396

Collapse -
rats again
by sorrso / July 16, 2011 2:23 AM PDT

When I tried to run the update I got an error message: "The driver cannot be installed on this computer. Please contact the computer's manufacturer for further information."

Collapse -
We have this many posts and I can't find make and model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: rats again

Reply to your top post with the basic make, model, age.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!