Laptops forum

General discussion

The Devil Went Down To Palo Alto

by trevorhughdavis / October 16, 2004 8:55 AM PDT

Customer Care! Nishtgutnicks. All of them. I feel opgenart, I really do.

I'm no kvetch, but HP sold me a real piece of ****.

So this is what happened. I bought a computer from them in January. Since then, it has been nothing but trouble. Four times it has been repaired! Three times replaced! The last replacement? Dead on arrival. This is how they do business?

I'm an old man (trapped in the body of a 26 year old writer), who needs his computer. I like to look at the girlys, you know? On the Internet? Oy, they get me so...(Really it's my main work tool.)

For my sanity (fading fast), I need to find some good in this. What would Moses do? I don't know. Me, I want to make a guidebook on how to deal with HP "customer care." Not only for myself but for the many who still suffer. It's a mitzvah, really.

I want to compile a contact list of mid to senior level HP
customer service executives. Access is power.

HP is spread out all over the world. They guard their phone numbers
and email addresses like their lives depend on it. I have even had techs refuse to tell me what city they are in.

I need names, email addresses, phone numbers, locations
of HP Customer Service Execs and Senior Case Managers. Anyone who cares and has power rectify situations that have legitimately gone wrong.

We need a better way to make HP take responsibility for their sins. This is not about revenge, but understanding. I want them to understand what their dreadful customer service has cost me and so many others.

If there are any bitter ex HP techs out there who want to enlighten me about how HP streams their callers please email me. Confidentiality will respected.

Feel free to repost this message.

trevorhughdavis@gmail.com

-Trevor

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Devil Went Down To Palo Alto
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Devil Went Down To Palo Alto
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: The Devil Went Down To Palo Alto
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

1. Just like http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=UGin9.8879%24lV3.819782%40newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net&output=gplain ???

2. I have not found that losing my temper (not writing you did) ever helped. Email is not good enough. Paper mail, certified and to the right places (Carly Fiorina)

3. For me, I've resolved my issues in just a few phone calls. ALL the HP, IBM, Acer, Toshiba, Dell support has been stellar. But I always make sure I have a legitimate gripe/failure and am in the warranty period. Sony has been my noteable exception. The fallout with Sony is that I tell my story and do not buy their products.

4. Spyware. Sadly, this is today's Achille's heel of all the makers. The owners don't want to know that such cripples the machines as well as all the makers are blissfully unaware to the problem. This doesn't apply to your DOA. But imagine the phone calls for support and the delloid's answers about spyware...

Item 4 is resulting in returns so I mention it.

On your part, you didn't reveal the model. It's important since some get the fire breathing P4 desktop replacement and then complain about battery (non)life.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The Devil Went Down To Palo Alto an Aside?
by phattdaddy / October 16, 2004 9:53 AM PDT

Most large companies are slowly disappearing behind anonymous call centre providers who appear to have been threatened with castration or having their navel unscrewed if they divulge the access codes to any caller. More and more of these call centres are now disappearing into the great Indian sub Continent at a huge rate of knots.(Oh Sahib! for my very next best price) With all due apologies to the residents of India, the Indian accent when spoken very quickly is almost un-decipherable at best, at worst impossible. After three days of trying to contact Amex about an account I have done the unspeakable ---- Written a Letter!!! and what is more actually posted it.
I sympathise with you Trev having been through the same precarious and circuitous pass the buck round a bout trying to get some technical info on a replacement mother board.

Collapse -
Re: The Devil Went Down To Palo Alto an Aside?
by KenSanramon / October 23, 2004 9:21 PM PDT

If you have had multiple issues with an important component on an hp notebook or multiple serious failures in the warranty period (motherboard, LCD, etc) HP will swap your notebook out for a new replacement. Some others like Toshiba will not do this.

When you reach customer service, politely ask to be routed to their supervisor and discuss your entire repair history with one qualified person.

No one is going to know your entire history but you just as you have to go over your relevant medical history with a new doctor or don't expect them to give you any vital long term care either.

See X1000forums.com ... there have been several people there that have received new computers (and often with better components but never worse) when a there was a significant repair issue and especially that required 3+ repairs in the warranty period.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?