The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The Death of Firewire (Hello USB 3.0)

by brocknation-2165282496121 / January 27, 2008 2:37 PM PST

I saw on Attack of the Show (AOTS) the other day the announcement of USB 3.0. If I correctly recall, it'll boast up to 3gb per second. The release date should be sometime this year or next. Is this the end of Firewire?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Death of Firewire (Hello USB 3.0)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Death of Firewire (Hello USB 3.0)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The end of Firewire.
by udayan71 / January 27, 2008 4:22 PM PST

Much like the PowerPC chip, it turns out the tech industry isn't so keen on innovation as it is on standardisation. PowerPC had the potential to be far superior to x86 chips but that never really panned out. Other than the Xbox 360, I don't think anything uses a PPC variant.

Similarly, Firewire was hailed as the next USB but because USB is so commonplace, Firewire didn't really stand a chance; even FW800 which was much faster than USB 2.0

The hammer probably smashed that nail closed when MacBook Air came out with just 1 USB 2.0 port but FW was dying long before then.

Collapse -
No...
by Nicholas Buenk / January 27, 2008 4:48 PM PST

There is a new Firewire being worked on, 3.2 gigabit. USB 3 is 4.8 gigabit, but USB has a higher overhead than Firewire and is therefore slower, quote:
Although high-speed USB 2.0 runs at a higher signaling rate (480 Mbit/s) than FireWire 400, typical USB PC-hosts rarely exceed sustained transfers of 35 MB/s (280 Mb/s), with 30 MB/s (240 Mb/s) being more typical (the theoretical limit for a USB 2 high-speed bulk transfer is 53.125 MB/s). This is likely due to USB's reliance on the host-processor to manage low-level USB protocol, whereas FireWire automates the same tasks in the interface hardware. For example, the FireWire host interface supports memory-mapped devices, which allows high-level protocols to run without loading the host CPU with interrupts and buffer-copy operations.

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by shawnawhigham / September 21, 2010 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: No...

Man! Nicholas Buenk! Where did you got this much info from?? Also can i take the initiave to take the feeds from your posting for my own website?? But cant find the RSS feeds link here!!

Collapse -
Don't remember...
by Nicholas Buenk / September 23, 2010 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!!

That was 2 years ago. Probably wikipedia.

Collapse -
It's just the death of multiple built-in FireWire ports...
by wheaton1 / September 26, 2010 2:37 AM PDT

Not the death of FireWire. If bandwidth alone were enough to cause a device protocol to die, PATA might have dwindled away much, much, much sooner as SCSI was around to allow for significantly faster connections with more than two devices. (And yet, PATA and SCSI still "live on".)

Seeing pre-built computers ship with fewer and fewer FireWire ports is not a sign of FireWire going away, but rather of manufacturers cutting costs. Since FireWire devices can daisy chain (you can connect one FireWire device to another FireWire device to another FireWire device up to 63 times), only one FireWire port is needed. Of course, if you really do have several FireWire devices, having multiple ports can save you some device juggling later as you need to add, remove, or move a FireWire device. Personally, I miss having two FireWire ports as standard on my Apple laptop choices. But, if you only have one FireWire port, you can still connect dozens of FireWire devices without adding a hub.

USB devices do not daisy chain. That is, you do not connect one USB device to another USB device to another USB device. But rather, they branch our from the motherboard or a USB hub and then stop there. So, the more USB ports on your computer, the better. If you only have one USB port, you can only connect one USB device unless you add a hub.

USB 3 is indeed fast! Especially compared to USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and even to FireWire400 and FireWire800 And thank goodness for it.

Or course, FireWire 1600 and FireWire 3200 are coming. And you might not even notice if you're just looking at the connector as it's the same as FireWire 800.

Happy device juggling!

-Warren

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.