Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The confusing $2 bill

From my in-box, and shareable?..
I am STILL laughing!! Many of today`s youth are terribly challenged without a computer to tell them what to do!! The story is funny. Lack of education is not funny!! But, how many youth have seen a $2 bill?

On my way home from work, I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite to eat. In my billfold are a $50 bill and a $2 bill. I figure that with a $2 bill, I can get something to eat and not have to worry about anyone getting irritated at me for trying to break a $50 bill.

Me: ''Hi, I'd like one seven-layer burrito please, to go.''
Server: ''That'll be $1.04. Eat in?''
Me: ''No, it's to go.''
At this point, I open my billfold and hand him the $2 bill. He looks at it
kind of funny.
Server: ''Uh, hang on a sec, I'll be right back.''
He goes to talk to his manager who is still within my earshot.
Server: ''Hey, you ever see a $2 bill?''
Manager: ''No. A what?''
Server: ''A $2 bill. This guy just gave it to me.''
Manager: ''Ask for something else. There's no such thing as a $2 bill.''
Server: ''Yeah, thought so''
He comes back to me and says, ''We don't take these. Do you have anything else?''
Me:'' Just this fifty. You don't take $2 bills? Why?''
Server: ''I don't know.''
Me: ''See here where it says legal tender?''
Server: ''Yeah.''
Me: ''So, why won't you take it?''
Server: ''Well, hang on a sec.''
He goes back to his manager, who has been watching me like I'm a
shoplifter, and says to him, ''He says I have to take it.''
Manager: ''Doesn't he have anything else?''
Server: ''Yeah, a fifty. I'll get it and you can open the safe and get change?
Manager: ''I'm not opening the safe with him in here.''
Server: ''What should I do?''
Manager: ''Tell him to come back later when he has real money.''
Server: ''I can't tell him that! You tell him.''
Manager: ''Just tell him.''
Server: ''No way! This is weird. I'm going in back.''
The manager approaches me and says, ''I'm sorry, but we don't take big
bills this time of night.''
Me: ''It's only seven o'clock! Well then, here's a two dollar bill.''
Manager: ''We don't take those, either.''
Me: ''Why not?''
Manager: ''I think you know why.''
Me: ''No really, tell me why.''
Manager: ''Please leave before I call Mall security.''
Me: ''Excuse me?''
Manager: ''Please leave before I call Mall security.''
Me: ''What on earth for?''
Manager: ''Please, sir.''
Me: ''Uh, go ahead, call them.''
Manager: ''Would you please just leave?''
Me: ''No.''
Manager: ''Fine -- have it your way then.''
Me: ''Hey, that's Burger King, isn't it?''

At this point, he backs away from me and calls Mall security.

A few minutes later this 45-year-oldish guy comes in.

Guard: ''Yeah, Mike, what's up?''
Manager (whispering): ''This guy is trying to give me some funny money.''
Guard: ''No kidding! What?''
Manager: ''Get this .. a two dollar bill.''
Guard ''Why would a guy fake a two dollar bill?''
Manager: ''I don't know. He's kinda weird. He says the only other thing he has is a fifty.''
Guard: ''Oh, so the fifty's fake!''
Manager: ''No, the two dollar bill is.''
Guard: ''Why would he fake a two dollar bill?''
Manager: ''I don't know! Can you talk to him, and get him out of here?''
Guard: ''Yeah.''
Security Guard walks over to me and......
Guard: ''Mike here tells me you have some fake bills you're trying to use''
Me: ''Uh, no.''
Guard: ''Lemme see 'em.''
Me: ''Why?''
Guard: ''Do you want me to get the cops in here?''
Me. ''I'm just trying to buy a burrito and pay for it with this two dollar bill.
I put the bill up near his face, and he flinches like I'm taking a swing
at him. He takes the bill, turns it over a few times in his hands, and says,
Hey, Mike, what's wrong with this bill?''
Manager: ''It's fake.''
Guard: ''It doesn't look fake to me.''
Manager: ''But it's a two dollar bill.''
Guard: ''Yeah?''
Manager: ''Well, there's no such thing, is there?''
The security guard and I both look at him like he's an idiot, and it dawns on the guy that he had no clue.
My burrito was free, and he threw in a small drink and some of those cinnamon thingies, too.
I was amused, and replied to the sender:

If you were instructing him on starting the car, and told him to 1-put it in neutral, 2-turn the key on, 3-pull the choke all the way down, 4-pull the gas half way down, 5-push the starter button with his left foot, and 6-when it starts, release the starter, push up the choke and adjust the gas,...... he would really wonder what world you came from.

Remember the Model A's. Don't even mention Model T's and a crank to him.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The confusing $2 bill
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The confusing $2 bill
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When the two-dollar bills first came out

In reply to: The confusing $2 bill

I used to get 25 of them for spending for the week. I don't know how many times I gave the clerk a $2 bill for something that cost a dollar and change and get a dollar and change back. I can't count how many dollar bills I gave back.

Diana

Collapse -
so....that makes you the oldest mod on the net

In reply to: When the two-dollar bills first came out

According to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, it was 1776 when the two-dollar bill was first introduced by the Continental Congress for "bills of credit for the defense of America." A portrait of Thomas Jefferson was chosen to adorn the bill.

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I do alright for my age ;-)

In reply to: so....that makes you the oldest mod on the net

Collapse -
Doesn't it frustrate you...........

In reply to: (NT) I do alright for my age ;-)

.....that during the critique of an exam, the doctor tells you "you're doing alright for your age".

Collapse -
Speaking of $2 bills

Back in the early 50s 1951 I believe. I was in a little place called Hilton Village, VA (Warwick Cty.)There was a home made Ice Cream store run by 2 little old ladies. When I first started going there I had a bunch of $2 bills from home. They would not take a $2 bill. Anything but a $2 bill. They said them's Yankee money, bad luck. Other stores would'nt take them either.

I learned how to drive with a Model A Ford. Drove for 2 yrs before getting a license at age 16. Also drove a Model T. Had the planitary transmission. (petal on the floor for shifting.) Good old days. Sure miss them.

George

Collapse -
1951, you sure about that?...

In reply to: Speaking of $2 bills

In 1963, the two-dollar bill was reissued, this time with Jefferson on the front and Monticello on the back. To commemorate the nation's bicentennial in 1976, the two- dollar bill was again reissued with the Gilbert Stuart rendition of Jefferson on its face and John Trumbull's "Signing of the Declaration of Independence" on the reverse.

Facts About $2 Notes
* The first $2 notes (called United States Notes or "Legal Tenders") were issued by the Federal Government in 1862 and featured a portrait of the first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton (1789-1795).

* The first use of Thomas Jefferson's portrait on $2 notes was on Series 1869 United States Notes. The same portrait has been used for all series of $2 United States Notes as well as for all $2 Federal Reserve Notes.

* Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's estate in Virginia, was first featured as the vignette on the back of the Series 1928 $2 United States Note.

* In celebration of the United States' bicentennial, a $2 Federal Reserve Note, Series 1976, was introduced. The new design maintained the portrait of Jefferson on the face but the back was changed from Monticello to a vignette of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

* Vignette on the Back of the Current $2 Federal Reserve Note
The $2 Federal Reserve Note features an engraving of John Trumbull's painting "The Signing of the Declaration of Independence." The original Trumbull painting portrayed 47 people, 42 of whom were signers of the Declaration (there were 56 total). However, because of a limited amount of space on the note, 5 of 47 men in the painting were not included in the engraving.

Collapse -
To clarify your info further Jonah...

In reply to: 1951, you sure about that?...

The last series of silver certificates was issued in 1957.

Congress stopped redeeming silver certificates in 1968 and began exchanging them for Federal Reserve notes at face value.

Prior to 1968 you could redeem them at more than face value. As a silver certificate their exchange rate was the going price of silver which had increased. Any $2 bills today are worth only face value, whether Silver Certificate or Federal Reserve Note. Same with the Ones and Fives.

George

Collapse -
Bingo! I still have....

In reply to: To clarify your info further Jonah...

Collapse -
You miss the days of the Model T?

Yikes!

You can still get and drive them you know.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I do the Model A

In reply to: You miss the days of the Model T?

Collapse -
You can still get them....

In reply to: (NT) I do the Model A

Tommy gun optional.

Collapse -
My husband had a Model A....

In reply to: (NT) I do the Model A

.... in college.

He drove that sucker every summer up north to work in the wheat harvests and canning factories. He said that sometimes a part would fall out on the road, but it just kept going.:-)

Sadly, he sold it for $50 a year before we met.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Several of my friends had Model A's

In reply to: My husband had a Model A....

in the late 40's, and what a popular auto that was for teenagers at a bargain price of $50 - $150. The Roadster (convertible) with open/close rumble seat was a joy. Gas tank was right under the windshield and gravity fed to the carb. Top speed around 55-60MPH. When I finally saved up enough money to buy a Model A, I happened to run across a 1939 Ford for $175. It was the 1st Ford that had hydraulic brakes. Top speed 71-75 (downhill) until souped up.

Speaking of pedal on the floor to shift, another friend had a really old car in those days with three pedals on the floor and three stick shifts. Think it was an Olds built before the 20's. It had wooden spoke hard rubber tires and the rear wheels were really big, looked just like old horse drawn wagon wheels. Had only rear wheel brakes, as I recall some sort of leather strap over a drum, and for thrills he would lock the rear wheels when we would go around a corner to spin out. The engine was so weak that sometimes we would all bail out to push it up small hills.
That auto would be worth a fortune today.

Collapse -
Do you recall when....

In reply to: Several of my friends had Model A's

Collapse -
Not the Model A, but remember the

In reply to: Do you recall when....

Studebaker y'all had. Remember that because my Dad gave me his 1941 Studebaker Commander that he purchased new and drove for 11 years.

Collapse -
Good memory!

In reply to: Not the Model A, but remember the

A maroon "Lark" with a white "rag top".

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com[/url

Collapse -
It was one rugged car Angeline..

In reply to: My husband had a Model A....

Screwdriver, pliers, hammer and a roll of wire usally fixed just about anything wrong with it. Wish they had duck tape back then.:)

George

Collapse -
He hit a tree.....

In reply to: It was one rugged car Angeline..

...once. No damage to the car. He had a cut across his nose and cheek.

All of this has reminded me of rumble seats. An uncle had one, and it was a blast to ride in it!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
1952...A true story....

During the Korean War, two friends that I had known in school who were in the Navy and myself in the USAF happened to be on a 'fun' weekend in Los Angeles. At that time (1952) some Navy bases issued mostly $2 bills at payday. Guess that was the 1st time I had seen $2 bills, and they had quite a few. Well, as it turned out just about everywhere we went, when they paid in a $2 bill, they received change for a $20 bill. Some $'s they returned, some they kept...depending.

Collapse -
You do know it's an urban legend

Collapse -
Urban legend or not...

In reply to: You do know it's an urban legend

I was under the impression the $2 bill was recalled by the Treasury a few years back and after a certain date would no longer be legal tender.

Collapse -
Yet legal tender........

In reply to: Urban legend or not...

In spite of its relatively low value, the two dollar bill is one of the most rarely-seen denominations of U.S. currency. This is partially due to the low production of the note; approximately 1% of all notes produced today are $2 bills. Two dollar bills aren't frequently reissued in a new series like other denominations. This is because bills are printed according to demand. When the Federal Reserve Banking System runs low on its current supply of $2 bills, it will submit an order to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which will then print more. Demand for $2 bills is low enough that one printing can last for many years. There is still a large supply of series 1976 bills, that have not been circulated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._two_dollar_billhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._two_dollar_bill

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What - the $2 bill or the story ?

In reply to: You do know it's an urban legend

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Our education system at work.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Next time give him silver dollars and half dollars

Collapse -
Lived near Red Lodge, Montana

In reply to: (NT) Next time give him silver dollars and half dollars

......some years back. The store keepers would take single dollar paper money out of circulation, and made change for larger bills with silver dollars.

Collapse -
I find it absolutely mind boggling...

In reply to: Lived near Red Lodge, Montana

how someone can enter an establishment and be treated in such a derogatory manner for using a $2 bill.

Practically accused of being a thief and a liar,due to their ignorance,stupidity,and mindlessness.

Another thing,the lack of a backbone and character by these employees which seems to be on the rise today by so many people.I don't know what happened to this country.When i grew up in this country a place of business would never treat a customer in such a way.

Tom

Collapse -
Silver dollars....

In reply to: (NT) Next time give him silver dollars and half dollars

old large type were ok, but the fairly new small that are still found in the P.O. Stamps machines, are for the birds. I always give them to the wife to spend as I frequently hand them out as quarters...almost the same size.

Collapse -
The old large Silver Dollars as

In reply to: Silver dollars....

you refer to John, are worth minimum about $12 bucks each, any condition, as long as you can read the date. These are Peace & Morgan dollars from the thirties back.

George

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.