HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

THE COMPUTER DOES NOT RECOGNISE THE CD WRITER

by RAMJET739 / May 26, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

Hi: I have inherited an old computer and I can't get the CD writer to operate. I went into explorer and also My Computer and the computer does not seem to recognise the drive. The operating system is "Millenium ME". I have tried reinstalling the operating system and that does not help. I have tried entering the AMIBIOS and that is where I get lost. I believe I have set the IDE DRIVES to AUTO, but that does not help either. So if anyone out there has some suggestion, I would appreciate it. Thanks Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: THE COMPUTER DOES NOT RECOGNISE THE CD WRITER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: THE COMPUTER DOES NOT RECOGNISE THE CD WRITER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the CD an IDE ? Is the channel 'ENABLED' in the
by VAPCMD / May 27, 2008 10:02 AM PDT

BIOS ?

Is the CD on the primary or secondary channel ?

Is the CD cabled with another drive or by itself ?

If enabling the channel doesn't correct the problem.. try jumpering the
CD to Cable Select (CS)?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
COMPUTER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE CD WRITER DRIVE
by RAMJET739 / May 28, 2008 9:36 AM PDT

Hi: First, thank you for your prompt reply. Next, to let you know that I know very little about the inside working of computers. You might say that I am a novice when it comes to it concerning internal stuff with computers. I will try to answer you questions the best I can. There are two CD ROM's on the computer. The computer recognizes the D drive, but not the CD ROM writer drive. As far as I can tell the CD ROM drive is IDE. How can you tell if it is ENABLED? The drive in question is not listed in BIOS. Please advise. Jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.