Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Church of Oprah?

Sunday morning, at church and a what is the sermon about? Seems Oprah has a problem with Jesus being who he claimed he was. Learned she had also been a member of the (notso) Rev Wright's group at one time. Did Wright help Oprah "lose her religion"? Basically the sermon was addressing some of the assertions she'd made and the errors. There's a multitude of youtube videos on it, pick your own.
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=oprah+jesus&search_type=&aq=f

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Church of Oprah?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Church of Oprah?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe.

In reply to: The Church of Oprah?

She might have more influence over the lives of some people than do some pastors.

She seems to be known for a lot of good works/acts.

(She got her media start in Nashville, and was the first female black news anchor on the local CBS outlet. Her sister spent several years here in the same role.)

it could be either because of the force of her personality, OR, because of of her life experiences which are well known so people know she truly can empathize with them.

I didn't watch the YourTube links. If they are anything like the Rev. Wright ones, I saw enough of those. BTW, James, he did earn his title. Just like I guess Rev. Dobson did his, as well as some others who are often quoted nationally with whom I usually disagree on matters of Faith.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) can't we all just get along?

In reply to: Maybe.

Collapse -
The Bible says that all of our good works are like filthy

rags in God's sight. Why? If our works could save us, God, in the person of His Son, would not have needed to come to this earth and die for us. If we think our works will save us, we trample on the death of Christ and the work of God. There is only one thing that will save us, and allow us to have a relationship with God. That is accepting Jesus as Saviour and Lord. That is what the Bible says.

Christians follow and obey Jesus. Those who refuse to do that are not Christians. There is no other name under Heaven by which we can be saved. Oprah cannot save even herself. She needs a Saviour, and His name is Jesus Christ. If she rejects that message, she joins those who take the broad and easy way.

I have watched Oprah endorse the occult via channeling. I have a tough time believing that she has humbled herself to submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. He would not lead her in the paths she is taking.

Collapse -
but...but....

In reply to: The Bible says that all of our good works are like filthy

...she gets a good feeling from doing it her own way, finding her inner "christ conciousness".

Collapse -
Not like Wright

Although she did attend his group at one time, which is where she met Obama. I've watched a couple of the videos, since it ended up being a church sermon to some degree, just to get a feel for what she'd really said. I thought she'd said "get over this white boy Jesus", which is what I had been searching around for, but then realized that was a comment made on a Blog site by an Oprah supporter instead. I haven't watched her show in years, not because I had nothing against her, I'd even watched Donahoe and Geraldo and Sally Jessee (will I cry this time?) Raphael during those years. I just got tired of the talk show format and tuned them all out. So, having seen her shows years before I was a bit surprised she ended up in a sunday sermon.

She's done some good things, there's no doubt. I think she's been confused on her religious beliefs though. Hopefully she'll get it straightened out later. What I get from what I've seen so far is her concept is of Jesus as some Lord Matreya of Hindu conceptualized "find your own path" to the hub of the holy wheel. You can't have "Christ conciousness" unless you accept his explanation of who he was and the path he described as necessary to the Father.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.