Computer Help forum

General discussion

The Case of the Missing Hard Drive

by The ancient one / August 4, 2012 1:14 AM PDT

A month or so ago my main HD became corrupted to the point where I replaced it with another older and smaller HD that had at one time been a Master HD. After installing XP and sundry other programs, I noticed that this HD had been partitioned. I haven't used that partition for anything yet. The corrupted hard drive was made into a slave drive after reformatting but then it just seemed to disappear from My Computer. Also when it was visible it showed only 128GB of total space even though it was a 500GB HD. Then just today it showed up again in My Computer. When I looked at it in "Disk Management" it showed the following:
Disk 0
Basic
465.76 GB

Slave - Internal storage
127.99 GB NTFS
Healthy (Active)

337.77GB
Unallocated

Now what I would like to do is make this slave HD with just one partition for data collection . But I am not sure how to do this. Can someone help me with this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Case of the Missing Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Case of the Missing Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: partition
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 1:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks Kees
by The ancient one / August 4, 2012 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: partition

I just might download that tool. Once upon a time I had a copy of Partition Magic but I don't think it is around any more. I will see what I can do to bring about a change in the partition. I can always use the practice.

Collapse -
Test the HD
by Willy / August 4, 2012 2:04 AM PDT

Your troubled HD is going to cause problems if what you stated is what going to happen on a regular basis. Providing the HD is the fault, then you still have a "broken HD" and no amount of s/w will bring it back. For whatever reason, you shouldn't trust it as is. I suggest you visit the HD maker's support website and get the diags that test the HD. Then with it installed as a lone HD, period so you can test it. That way, you won't cause your other HD to be in harm's way if at all, just a safe move. Once done, test the HD, review the results. If the HD continues to fail, there is no recovery of that HD, its gone. While it maybe possible to use in a more reduced matter, depending on the test results, in most cases that's a lost cause. At least you'll be assured of its true status. Qlso, this would be the process if any warranty is still valid and if valid a replacement HD could be in the future.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Willy, I think your are on the right track
by The ancient one / August 4, 2012 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Test the HD

I doubt if the drive is still under warranty. Don't know when I bought it. All I know is that it got badly corrupted do to malware and viruses and I reformatted it. I will just play around with it and see what happens. Anything that I put on it will only be something that I have on another hard drive. I do remember that it took many hours to run check disk on it. I don't really need the hard drive because I have a number of other external hard drives. My computer is 10 years old and I am amazed that the PSU is still functioning. It doesn't like my having more than one internal hard drive operating. I will be building a new computer sometime next year. Just hoping to keep this one running until then. Actually, I do have a very, very cheap emachine with Win 7 on it that I can use in an emergency. Just prefer not too do so because I am quite familiar with this old machine of mine that I built 10 years ago.

Collapse -
Re-use old HD
by Willy / August 4, 2012 7:47 PM PDT

Since you explained it was "malware at work here" you can totally wipe clean the old HD. The process removes all data of any kind and generally maybe best since malware was the root cause of your problem. I offered my initial advise along the lines of real h/w fault that caused corrupted data. Since, this isn't the case, I use s/w like DBAN or KILLDISK to 100% clean the HD and then reformat it for re-use. Again, it's best to do this with the HD installed, alone or solo or you're sure of the HD being acted upon. You can then use other s/w once completed like GPARTED, etc., or use the OS own install setup. Be aware since you've come across the 128gb limit, that your OS must be updated to SP2 or SP3 release to best fulfill full HD use. Google on that issue and its better posted elsewhere and in full details.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Kees and Willy - Update
by The ancient one / August 5, 2012 1:18 AM PDT

I used EaseUS which worked like a charm and could not have been easier. Just move the button in the rectangle all the way to the right and I went from a whole lot of unallocated to no unallocated and 465GB on the primary partition. Because I have some concerns about this hard drive, I copied a 33GB folder with over 300,000 files without any problems and then later defragmented the drive. Put it through quite a bit of movement with absolutely no problems. I will keep an eye on it for awhile and hopefully it won't go missing. Thanks again for the advice.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad we could help. And thanks for telling.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 1:20 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.