General discussion

The bizarre world of modern art

I realize that this is old news (almost 50 years old) but I had never heard of it before (I did have to clean up the text a bit):
Artist's excrement
The work is a tin can in an edition of 90 labeled in Italian, English, French and German with the description

"Artist's S***", contents 30gr net freshly preserved, produced and tinned in May 1961.

I was reading about this just now in "How Pleasure Works" by Paul Bloom. According to the book one of the odd twists about this 'work of art' is that the artist played a bit of a trick on the buyer. Or at least some of the buyers. The cans were supposedly autoclaved to kill the bacteria, but the artist reportedly deliberately sabotaged the sterilization process for about half of the cans. As a result there were subsequent problems with cans leaking. The stuff just wanted to get out.

There are also reports that some of the cans actually contain something other than the reported contents.

It's hard to imagine paying over $50,000 for a can with unknown, unverifiable contents and a profane label. It's also a bit hard for me to call that 'art'.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: The bizarre world of modern art
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The bizarre world of modern art
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The late science fiction writerTheodore Sturgeon said...

Ninety percent of everything is crap (he actually used the other word).

He was talking about writing, but it could apply to art. I clinge to the hope he was wrong.

- Collapse -
tp paraphrase your typo

Ninety percent of everything is crap (he actually used the other word).

He was talking about writing, but it could apply to art.
I cringe at the thought he was right.

- Collapse -
Perhaps artists know their true customer base

Those who truly know good art won't buy the stuff. The pretentious but ignorant will shell out any amount asked for it.

- Collapse -
could be

this is what he thinks of his own "art" He thinks what he does and sells is excrement!

- Collapse -
Maybe, but ...

The explanation he gave for the 'art work' is that many customers want to believe that by owning a piece of art they have acquired something of the artist himself. Most people would interpret that metaphorically rather than physically, but he said that this piece of 'art work' should give those customers a new perspective.

- Collapse -
I suppose

he would be called smart if he could sell his **** and stupid people would pay for it!

- Collapse -
Since he died of a heart attack at age 29 in 1963

you've missed your chance to experience the fragrance of any of his exhibits. Devil

- Collapse -
(NT) thank goodness!!! LOL
- Collapse -
how do you define "good art"?

Warhol and Heinz....

yuch!!!!

- Collapse -
Some years ago there was an artist-

considered a major one, I think- who did "installations" inside of which he stayed at times. If you went by it at the right (?) time you could see him masturbating.

- Collapse -
Of course, in this day of Hep B, HIV, and

terrorists, his "tricks" would reduce him to decorating the walls of a max-security cell.

CNET Forums

Forum Info