Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The birth of terrorists

by dirtyrich / July 14, 2005 9:14 PM PDT
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=379499&category=OPINION&newsdate=7/15/2005

Tom Friedman writes:
A few years ago, I was visiting Bahrain and sitting with friends in a fish restaurant when news appeared on an overhead TV about Muslim terrorists, men and women, who had taken hostages in Russia. What struck me, though, was the instinctive reaction of the Bahraini businessman sitting next to me, who muttered under his breath, "Why are we in every story?" The "we" in question was Muslims.
The answer to that question is one of the most important issues in geopolitics today: Why are young Sunni Muslim males, from London to Riyadh to Bali to Baghdad, so willing to blow up themselves and others in the name of their religion?

Essentially, many in the Muslim world are upset about their culture's lack of dominance despite their religion's assurance that they are supreme. Disaffected young adults become easy prey for fanatical clerics who convince them it is Western society's fault. Add in a comment that Europe isn't truly integrated despite their claims to be, and a possible caution about Islam's broad appeal and large numbers of converts, and you got the article.
I agree with everything in the article... how about you?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The birth of terrorists
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The birth of terrorists
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
''[u]disaffected[/u]'' probably not strong enough,
by drpruner / July 18, 2005 5:13 AM PDT

per the bombers themselves; more like ''downtrodden.'' Here's another take on your subject:
''Because sentence against a bad work has not been executed speedily, that is why the heart of the sons of men has becume fully set in them to do bad.'' (Ec 8:11)
Langston Hughes put it more colorfully 3000 years later: ''What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up, like a raisin in the sun, or does it ...
explode?''
Hughes had no good answer to his own question, but the implied question was answered by the earlier writer:
''Although a sinner may be doing bad a hundred times and continuing a long time as he pleases, yet I am also aware that it will turn out well with those fearing the true God, because they were in fear of him [so as not to 'return evil for evil' Ro 12:17]. But it will not turn out well at all with the wicked one, neither will he prolong his days that are like a shadow [cf. Ps 37:28,29], because he is not in fear of God.''

Collapse -
I might find reason to have at least partial
by Dragon / July 19, 2005 4:30 AM PDT

disagreement with you. How about 9/11? Also, I read of one bomber going to Israel who had a masters degree, a wife, and kids. Seems he did it for the Cause, which presumably we bigger than his life and of his family.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Perhaps Islam is less a religion ,as it is a cult?
by duckman / July 19, 2005 4:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Cult? I Can Agree to an extent...
by gooslojo / July 19, 2005 6:31 AM PDT

But what if this is just the next act in the saga of "GOOD" versus "EVIL"?
I'm not a Born again Christian.I'm not even a practicing Catholic anymore.I believe in God.It's the bottom of the ninth,tie game(so it seems),two outs,3 balls,2 strikes.

I hope GOD can hit the slider low and away.

Collapse -
God has already won the game. That is not in doubt. He is
by Kiddpeat / July 19, 2005 7:09 AM PDT

not sitting on the Muslim bench, or taking a place on their team.

Collapse -
He's not batting; he has his laser fastball:
by drpruner / July 19, 2005 8:29 AM PDT

"Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again." Rev 18:21, which is on-topic, believe it or not.

Collapse -
Good Reference!!
by gooslojo / July 19, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

Pitchers bat in the national league though!

Collapse -
Che Guevara gave up his life of privilege
by drpruner / July 19, 2005 8:48 AM PDT

after learning of the legitimate gripes of Latino Communists; most of his and Castro's followers, though, had nothing left to lose. And Che died after leaving his second such life. (In-crowd in Cuba.)

A believing Muslim of any background can be convinced by extending Koranic and Hadithic teachings that suicide against Coalition is an E-ticket to Paradise. Money can't buy that. Beware.

If there is a true God - as some claim Happy - then he can give the ultimate reward for the ultimate sacrifice: John 17:3, 11:25. After all, Gen 1:1 was more difficult. Your Israel bomber is rare in any religion, though: Lu 18:25.

So I could put on the ball bearing vest, too, except that I'm commanded not to by John 13:34,35, 2 Thes 1:6-10, and many others. As noted previously, the commands even keep me from taking up anyone else's weapons.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?