Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The biggest con job in the history of man

by critic411 / December 14, 2008 9:11 PM PST
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/295647-3/Columnist/The_biggest_con_job_in_the_history_of_man/

"Be skeptical about global warming and you're branded with a scarlet "D" for "Denier." Say global warming is a crock, and you are shunned at parties.

I'm an environmentalist, like most in Maine, but I'm not an environmental zealot.

Because I'm also an economist and a professional business analyst. From these perches, I can see policies that purport to fix global warming - like cap and trade taxes, and legislation that enacts them, like the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative or the federal Climate Security Act - as pernicious and corrupting ideas in the arena of business and politics.

They're elegant con jobs, which turn junk science into major dollars for developers.

People like former governor Angus King and energy expert Matt Simmons are smart. They see the global warming rainbow coming and are placing their pots at the end of it."

"It all boils down to one question.

Why should we pay so much, trying to stop a natural event?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The biggest con job in the history of man
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The biggest con job in the history of man
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It all boils down to one question.
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 9:19 PM PST

Why do some people believe it's all natural?

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Because that's what the science supports.
by Kiddpeat / December 14, 2008 9:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Some science, maybe. Not THE science.
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 9:43 PM PST

If it was THE science, most people would believe it (not all, of course). Now it's only some science for only some people. So be it.

Kees

Collapse -
False
by C1ay / December 14, 2008 9:54 PM PST

There is no scientific support for a supreme being yet most people believe there is one. Science hunts for the truth but it doesn't force anyone to drink from its trough.

Collapse -
RE: Science hunts for the truth
by JP Bill / December 14, 2008 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: False
Science hunts for the truth but it doesn't force anyone to drink from its trough.

That's what people do.
Collapse -
on the other hand
by jonah jones / December 14, 2008 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: False

There is no scientific support against a supreme being yet some people believe there is none. Science may hunt for the truth but it doesn't always have something to drink from its trough.

bad paraphrasing i know Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Bad, but makes the point. :-)
by Angeline Booher / December 14, 2008 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: on the other hand
Collapse -
Correct
by C1ay / December 15, 2008 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: on the other hand

And it shows that many people believe things regardless of what science can support. My assertion remains, the claim that "If it was THE science, most people would believe it" is false.

Collapse -
Chuckle. "THE science"?
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2008 8:23 AM PST

I love it! I must light my lantern, and go looking for "THE science". I'm sure I will recognize it when I see it.

Collapse -
(NT) Let's hope you are more successful than Diogenes was.
by Bill Osler / December 15, 2008 8:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Yep !! The science and FACTS support it
by critic411 / December 15, 2008 12:16 AM PST

All one has to do otherwise is ignore a billion years of history.

If someone make a claim that is counter to known and accepted scientific facts, it is incumbent upon THEM to prove it, not the other way around.

Collapse -
(NT) You seem to do the opposite of what you say.
by Kees Bakker / December 15, 2008 12:31 AM PST
Collapse -
As I explained before ...
by Kees Bakker / December 15, 2008 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: re:

(but you don't seem to be impressed) any fact about things happening before there were men is totally unrelated to the possible influence of men.

Example: although men might be responsible for the nearly total disappearance of the bison in North America, they certainly aren't responsible for the disappearance of the dinosaurs. But knowing that the dinosaurs went from natural causes, doesn't imply the same for the disappearance of bisons. That's a FACT.
That's about the same as the climate then and the climate now. That's a FACT for the same reason.

Kees

Collapse -
Now, that's what I call a compelling logical argument.
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2008 11:26 AM PST

Something happened to dinosaurs. Something happened to Bison. Whatever happened to Bison is, therefore, what is happening to climate.

That quite a stretchy sort of FACT. It is not, however, a conclusion which is supported by your logic. That reasoning would not pass muster in Logic 101.

Collapse -
Thank you !
by grimgraphix / December 15, 2008 1:00 AM PST

You finally post a thread that admits it is all about one thing... MONEY !

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!