General discussion

The best quality/best sounding type audio file for MP3's?

I have a Cowon MP3 player and I heard that different types of audio files have different levels of quality and some sound better than others. I would like the best type of audio files on my MP3 player but how do i get my songs in that format and what is the best format?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: The best quality/best sounding type audio file for MP3's?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The best quality/best sounding type audio file for MP3's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If your player support FLAC,

I would go with the flac format. There are audio converter for such. Look for download on Cnet here.

- Collapse -
I agree on FLAC but...

1) If You have an MP3 encoded @128kbit/s... the quality WILL NOT change if converted to a "better" codec (the required information just isn't there anymore!!). If You encode Yourself, and Your player supports FLAC (note: FLAC takes twice the space of a HQ (@320kbit/s) MP3) I'd definitely go with FLAC

2) If You use basic, off-the-shelf, headphones/earplugs, You won't hear the difference.

Regards
T @GMT+2

CNET Forums

Forum Info