HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

the best of internet security

by damom111 / October 17, 2006 7:40 AM PDT

Not sure if this is the right place, so I apologize if it isn't. My Norton internet security is getting ready to expire. I am interested in what everyone thinks or believes to be the best for security. Whether it is the free software that is out there or the paid software. I like the idea of having it all in one package and one area to be able to access. But I have had problems with NOrton before. Virus, spam, spyware,adware, etc...
thanks in advance for your help and opinion.
Windows Xp
Stacey

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the best of internet security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the best of internet security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally, I'm Using......
by tobeach / October 17, 2006 4:12 PM PDT

AVG 7 Free (Avast is ok too), Adaware SE 1.06, Spybot S&D 1.4,C(rap)Cleaner SLIM (!) & new free product Cyberhawk 1.1.3.2 from Novatix. This is behavior based guard watching for dangerous behavior attempts from any source. Possibly could catch say 0 day attacks not yet defined by AV. All free & all play nicely with each other with no squabbles!
Not free but important: A D-Link Wired router Dl-604 (several other brands also in inexpensive range (<$50)include Syslink, Netgear & others. This will leave your firewall with little to do.
Also recommend NOT using IE. Better to use Mozilla Firefox w/SunMicro's Java(or other non IE based browser) except for MS Updates. I also have available (already downloaded & saved to machine & 1 copy of each off machine) various tools: Stinger, Hijack This(saved several reports when clean for reference/comparison if I get trouble), Ewido (free trial)NOW called AVG Anti-Spy, Trojan Hunter,Cool Web Shredder(CWS) & many repair tools like IE Fix, LSP Fix, Deleted file recover tool, etc.
Also commendable & free are tools Like SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard by Javacool. Links for everything named above are in C-nets files accessed via (advanced)Search usually along with instructions how to set up/use them.
At some point: How much is too much? Only 100% safe bet is to cut plug from the cord! Enjoy!!! Grin

Collapse -
re:personally
by damom111 / October 18, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

thanks

Collapse -
Renewing Norton Internet Security
by sargento / October 22, 2006 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: re:personally

Hi Damon,

I tried to renew & it wouldn't downoad, after several e=mails requesting a refund, NORTON WOULDN'T EVEN ANSWER MY E-MAILS. I am out $50. My PC wouldn't let me fill out their PDF form for refund.

Collapse -
Request a Refund
by bowacl / October 23, 2006 12:10 AM PDT

You may want to request your refund from the address below. I have had good results going directly to the company headquarters when I have problems with products. I would suggest you state your case and include a copy of your purchase email so you have proof of purchase, include your name, address, email and phone number so they can contact you. You only have 60 days for a refund and it will go by the date the letter is stamped so you may want to at least get a certificate of mailing from the post office, it costs 95c. If all else fails you may want to consider disputing the charge on your credit card which also is usually 60 days to dispute.

World Headquarters
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
Phone: +1 408 517 8000

If you decide you would like to try the re-download you may do that signing into your account online with them as information in the order email should provide you ways to do this. In poking around I even found a page that can check your current installed version. In searching the help online I have found they mainly blame a firewall for blocking out the down load.

As for not being able to use PDF format is that because you do not have the free reader installed on your computer or you are using a browser that requires a plug-in to use it?

Hope this helps. I personally haven't used Norton since it became a slug but I do know they are not really a shady company so I am sure they will work with you on this it just may take time for them to get to you.

BtheB

Collapse -
Stack up your security, and do it for free
by ersatz / October 23, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

No program is perfect, and I've found that stacking or layering security applications provides the best risk management for my system. What one app may miss, another may catch.

What to watch for -

Two critical issues to running several security applications are their compatibility with each other as well as your system and the amount of memory the apps use.

What you'd like -

The apps' ability for automatic scans and monitoring is desirable because nobody likes to manually do all this.

--------------------------------------------

What has worked for me for years and years -

Anti-virus - AVG FREE
(auto update, customizable settings including auto scan, no noticeable system slowing, no conflicts)

Firewall - Zone Alarm FREE
(auto update, customizable settings including auto updates, no conflicts)

Anti-hijacker - Trend Micro CWShredder FREE
(tiny app, takes about 10 seconds to manually run it daily, no conflicts)

Anti-spyware - Spyware Blaster FREE
(small app, takes about 20 seconds to check updates daily, customizable, no conflicts)

Anti-spyware - Ewido FREE
(small app, customizable, a few seconds to update daily, manual scan which takes a few minutes depending on settings and system size, no conflicts)

Anti- adware/malware - Ad-aware SE Personal FREE
(small app, customizable, a few seconds to update daily, manual scan which takes a few minutes depending on settings and system size, no conflicts)

Browser - Mozilla Firefox FREE
(auto updates, customizable security preferences, no conflicts)

The one and only application I've ever paid for -

Webroot Window Washer - around $30 - worth every cent
(cleans, bleaches/encrypts, frees up space, free updates for 1 year, no conflicts)

I've run the apps above for years with no security issues. However, if I were to encounter one, I'd recommend -

HijackThis FREE -
(small app, manually run and submit report to security forum(s) for FREE assistance.

Pentium 4 2.20GHz 512MB RAM
XP Home SP1

Collapse -
My security
by knock_out_uk2002 / October 20, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

I use NOD32, it is the only program i have ever paid for in terms of antivirus, recently purchased a second license for my laptop, for free antivirus i would recommend Avast(i personally hated AVG in everyway imaginable) and antivir(antivir is unique in that it can be run from a pen drive giving you that portable virus solution you always wanted-learnt this from a pc mag-remember to keep it upto date).

I have two antispyware/adware programs, lavasofts ever popular ad-aware se personal(free!!!), and spyware docter 4 which i paid for at a mere

Collapse -
And Also....
by skycatcher / October 19, 2006 8:27 PM PDT

Brilliant advice from Tobeach. I would also strongly recommend using A-Squared Free for anti Spyware, Malware, Greyware etc and Outpost Firewall. Outpost is fast and small compared to some others.

Make sure all of your old Norton is uninstalled before starting, then go to http://www.trendmicro.com (the PC-cillin people, so it's a trusted site) and run their Free Virus scan. It needs Java but that will load if you haven't got it. It finds EVERYTHING, including warning you if you are missing vital MS Updates.

As regards AntiVirus, AVG has some 100% awards so it's good and you'd have to go for something like Sophos to better it. Sophos AV takes care of viruses and spyware, malware etc. all in one go and can also provide Puremessage antispam and a whole range of stuff. They will only sell you a minimum of 5 licences as they are industrial standard but if you get several friends together and do it that way it works out fairly cheap for non-free solutions. You'll have to go through a re-seller as they don't sell direct http://www.sophos.com

Collapse -
In addition to the list ...
by baja463 / October 19, 2006 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: And Also....

... provided by ToBeach, I'm also using Spyware Terminator: excellent and FREE. Highly recommended.

Collapse -
One To Avoid
by JWK / October 19, 2006 9:32 PM PDT

Stay away from McAfee. Both the Viruscan Plus 2007 and Internet Security 2007 brought my system to a crawl. I have a AMD 3400+ and 1G Ram.

Myself I chose not to buy a Internet Security Suite this year as I didnt want or use alot of the features.

This year im using NOD32, Norton Firewll 2005, SocketShield and AdAware SE Pro.

As for the new security suiet's, if you have a current norton 2006 key you can update to the new 2007 and can continue to use it till the subscription runs out. I liked it myself, way better than 2006 but I only had 4 days left on mine. Be sure to uninstall the 2006 version first!

Collapse -
Norton Internet Sec Free
by rochagomes / October 20, 2006 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: One To Avoid

Don't forget, with rebates Circuit City, Staples or Office Max will run ads that state "free" if you are upgrading from previous version. So look for rebates and update to newer version of Norton. That is how I updated From System Works 2003>>>System Works 2005 and when my virus subscription ran out in March...I decided to try just Mcafee Virus Scan instead.

Collapse -
ditto re one to avoid
by mfumbly / October 20, 2006 2:42 AM PDT

I agree with "stay away from McAfee" big time! I ditched all my mcafee when 2007 came out. Now use Avast, Lavasoft Personal Firewall (Outpost), Ad-Aware SE Plus, and Windows Defender. Also CCleaner and Macecraft RegSupreme Pro. No problems.

Collapse -
One Caution About Defender: It Creates 1 Sys.Restore Point..
by tobeach / October 20, 2006 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: ditto re one to avoid

OR MORE every day and after awhile can jam up your systems memory. Suggest users dump(if comfortable) current points build up, and go to sys restore>sys restore Settings and reduce the amount of hard-drive it is allowed to use. I find on my 80 Gig HD, 3 percent(move slider to left) gives me at least 2 months worth of points to choose from (plenty). Basically, it will simply over-write the same 3% on an on going basis. " If you want ta run cool.." yours sounds good. Grin

Collapse -
I Agree Also
by keturahjones / October 20, 2006 3:17 AM PDT

Stay away from McAfee. The new version slowed all my computers to the point where we were ready to throw them out the window.
I removed McAfee and all of its associated software and loaded Avast 4.7 and all the computers are now running great. Even the Pentium 2 that my wife uses loads and runs fast. Along with Avast and all its features running, I use AOL and its Spyware and Spam programs and everything runs great.
Avast is free and seems to update its virus definitions file, more frequently, much faster and without slowing the computer when it does it. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
mcafee security
by ttrojak / October 21, 2006 1:47 PM PDT

BOY DID YOU HIT THAT ONE ON THE MONEY WHAT A CROCK , COMCAST TOLD ME I HAD TO INSTALL THIS GARBAGE ON MY MACHINE OR THEY WOULD NOT TURN MY PORT BACK ON TO SEND E-MAILS. EVER SINCE THEN I HAD NOTHING BUT SLOW, A MILLION QUESTION FROM THE PROGRAM WHAT I WANT TO DO . EVERY 10 MIN IT FINDS ANOTHER TROJAN, I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THEY PROGRAM THIS IN TO SCARE YOU INTO KEEPING THIS GARBAGE PROGRAM. I BELIEVE COMCAST GETS A CUT , BECAUSE WHEN I CALLED THEM UP THEY TOLD ME TO DOWNLOAD MCAFEE AND THEY WOULD TURN MY E-MAIL BACK ON, WITH OUT CHECKING TO SEE IF THE VIRUS IS GONE. RAN MCAFEE ON 2 MACHINES NEVER FOUND A PROBLEM. I RUN 3 DIFFERENT SPYWARE AND NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM TILL I DOWNLOADED MCAFEE. YOU THINK THE VIRUSE SOFTWARE IS BAD , TRY THE FIREWALL, CAN'T EVEN GET NETSCAPE TO WORK RIGHT, COMCAST HAS A HARD TIME TO. HAVE MCAFEE CALL ME I'LL GIVE THE A REVIEW.

Collapse -
One To Avoid
by maddjakk58 / October 22, 2006 11:40 PM PDT

i have been using McAfee for almost 2yrs now and have found it to be very reliable and trustworthy. Have made numerous credit transactions and all info/balance/transactions were solid. And of course, one must trust the security system. I found it to be excellent in tracking viruses, adware, keylogger, and spyware!I would recommend it to anyone

Collapse -
I also agree, But
by JWK / October 24, 2006 12:03 PM PDT

I have also used Mcafee since 2004 and it has always been good to me. But, the new 2007 version is a major resource hog. Its worse than Norton used to be. Who knows maybe they will realize that and issue a update to correct the problem but until then, McAfee Viruscan Plus 2007 sits on the shelf and 34 bucks wasted.

I just dished out a whole whopping 21 bucks plus 3 dollars shipping for a OEM version of Norton Internet Security 2007 and see just how that one runs. I tried it already for 4 days till my 2006 subscription ran out and it seemed pretty good to me, my pc was running at 31 processes with Norton IS 2007 compared to McAfee and 44. The Norton site advisor was faster than McAfee but then again, IE7 has that too.

You people need to look at SocketShield, with all the exploits in Windows along with other programs, why wait weeks for a patch when all u need is this http://www.socketshield.com/ Take a fresh copy of windows, no updates installed, you are safe with this product alone.

Collapse -
NOTTA NORTON FAN IETHER
by BYOBCROWN / October 20, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

I'm in the same fix; I do not care for Dr.Norton.
so, I'm shooping for another security program also.
Looking forward to the suggestions.

Collapse -
Internet security
by wlzevwexler / October 20, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

My cousin a PC pro introducewd me to AVAST HOME EDITION (http://www.avast.com/index.html)I find it to be the best out there. It's free and it automatically upates. It does use resources. I use it in conjunction with SPYBOT, WINDOWS FIREWALL; AND AD AWARE SE-PERSONAL. Knock on wood.

Collapse -
windows firewall
by curtiss1616 / October 24, 2006 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Internet security

A note about windows firewall. It only blocks incoming traffic. If something happens to get onto your computer and phone home windows firewall will let it through and not ask if you want to let it connect. Most other firewalls including the freebies like sygate and zone alarm monitor outgoing traffic as well as incoming. If an unwanted program or even a browser tries to do an unrequested connection it will be blocked and will ask if you wish to let it connect.

Collapse -
Reply to: the best of internet security
by vixenk / October 20, 2006 8:52 AM PDT

If you're looking to pay for an all in one suite, I would suggest something like F-Prot or Nod32. Also, check with your ISP and see if they're offering a free suite with your internet service and what suite they offer. Mine offers the F-Prot suite for free with my service. The major benefit to these over free offerings imho is the fact that they not only protect against your general viruses, spyware, etc. but also feature rootkit detection and removal, not to mention score higher detection rates than any free offerings.

If you're going to go the free route, I would suggest Bitdefender (anti-virus), Outpost or Kerio Personal Firewall (firewall), and a combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot (spyware/adware removal). It also isn't a bad idea to install Javacool Spyware Blaster, which will help prevent you from getting spyware/adware in the first place.

I choose Bitdefender because out of the free offerings it scores the highest detection rates (plus runs scans on low priority so you can actually use your computer while a scan is in progress). Kerio Personal Firewall and Outpost are equally great, complete firewall solutions with Kerio being perhaps the easiest to use but using more system resources. Spybot and Ad-Aware will catch just about everything spyware/adware related between them.

Collapse -
How Important
by JonathanCase / October 20, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

is it for you to have a ''one-does-all'' suite?
Much of what I've read on forums suggest that a few smaller and dedicated applications do at least as good a job,often better, and often for free. (Nod32 gets a pretty good write up here, http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/83.htm#avv )
I use Avast, Spyware terminator- HIPS on, Javacool (2), Winpatrol, and a gem of a firewall, Comodo 2.3.6.81.(latest version, very good.) Some of these may go as the system and tools evolve. But they all work ok together now and don't take up much space.
Have a few alternative on demand scanners too, for trojans/spyware etc, Asquared, superantispyware, S&D, AdAware, Bazooka (no updates for a long time) and CWShredder

Collapse -
No Zone Alarm users?
by jpachner / October 20, 2006 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: How Important

I am interested that in all the above posts that no one has mentioned Zone Alarm. I downloaded a trial version and felt that it was freezing up my laptop, so deleted it and have been using AVG, which seems ok. (How does it compare to Avast, which others have mentioned.) It's not a financial issue so much as trying to find what program(s) do the job without slowing my machine(s) to a crawl. I've appreciated the suggestions and now need to make a spreadsheet to evaluate all opinions!

Collapse -
zone alarm
by Marc_1st / October 20, 2006 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: No Zone Alarm users?

what product from zone labs did you download?
again what product(s) from avg are you using?

i ask this because i just bought my daughter a laptop. i haven't had time to load and test the different programs.

hopefully you can save me some grief.

marc

Collapse -
Zone Alarm & AVG
by jpachner / October 21, 2006 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: zone alarm

Sorry I can't really answer your question. I downloaded a trial version of ZoneAlarm through the Cnet site, and the same for AVG, so I guess it's whatever is current. (I tried looking on AVG for a release number, but couldn't find it.)

Collapse -
My experience with security apps
by saleh.2201 / October 23, 2006 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: No Zone Alarm users?

A couple of things to consider: AVG only detects KNOWN viruses. Avast uses heuristics to find "in the wild" viruses (viruses not known but exhibit virus-like behavior and virus-like signatures or codes). Also, I have found that if you use Earthlink as your ISP, Comodo conflicts with their e-mail program (Comodo is working with Earthlink on this). I have used Kerio firewall because it is one of the few that gives "all stealth ports" using the shields up test. Keep in mind that Kerio full version offers HIPS protection (host intrusion) only for the 30 day trial. When my free trial version ended, I downloaded Spyware Terminator because it provides HIPS protection.Since I prefer Avast antivirus, I turn off the ClamAV in Spyware Terminator. Along with the usual free spyware progs, I have not had any problems.

Collapse -
security software
by Marc_1st / October 20, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

like anything else out there, it's buyer beware!!!!

for some years, i used only freeware to protect my computer. but times have changed. i have purchased one program (webroot's spysweeper). i did this because the 2 highest rated free spyware programs (spybot search and destroy and lavasofts ad-aware se) have not kept up with what's out there. they are still good programs but...

as to some of the other comments: windows firewall does not work in both directions. i strongly suggest the zone labs zonealert as an alternative firewall (it's free). i have used it for some years now. it requires a little bit of learning but it works well. i am in the process of trying out the security suite to see if the added protection is worth it. it seems to require a lot more learning to use it effectively.

there are many excellent antivirus programs out there. there is good contact between the different companies so that eventually all offer very good protection. not so with antispyware. (that's why i finally purchased a program) some programs offer both, but i have yet to find any that do both things well.

suites are interesting because they offer the possibilty of a fast scan etc. not so with norton products and mcafee which are both hogs on system resources. not to mention the very difficult problem of uninstalling them. norton i will not touch again because it insists on calling home what appears to be every few minutes. it is way too heavy on using resources and is not well integrated with their own products.

another idea...a router. preferably hardwired. this has a built-in firewall.

mcafee did one right thing. they bought siteadvisor. this is a free program (for now) that identifies web sites that are good, unknown, or ugly.

bhodemon and ccleaner are both excellent programs to have. bhod.. because it helps with browser helpers that cause lots of problems if you install the wrong ones.

ccleaner because it makes it simple to clear data from temp files, web info etc that can be used by others for the wrong reasons.

both of these are free.

the comment about ie is very true. use firefox whenever you can.

the above items can be found by using google.

remember to use good habits like backing up your data (very important if you invested a lot of time); being careful about emails (never open one if you do not know the sender); and beware of free programs that offer too much.

always do some research before committing.

a little bit of time up front will save a lot of time correcting mistakes later.

regards
marc

oh yes. stacey, good luck getting rid of norton if you decide to use another program.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm Suite
by han00176 / October 20, 2006 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: security software

Mark_1st, I think you'll find with a little patience, and trial and error you will get the hang of it. All you have to do is follow the prompts that pop-up and if later you want to either grant or deny access by any prpogram you can go into program control and change it. Also pay attention to the information safe, it guards all your private ID. You can grant access to that always or by selected programs. once you use it a while it gets easier. Heck, I only have an 11th grade education and I can figure it out. You guys are probably a lot smarter than me.

Collapse -
This works great for me
by han00176 / October 20, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

I've tried dozens of products and finaly setteled on the following with exceptional results. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (apx $54) cheaper when you renew. It includes Anti-Spy Ware, Antivirus, Anti-spam and you can also control how programs access the internet or a network. Adaware SE Professional (make sure you go to Lavasoft.com for download) There are copycat versions so be careful. Mail Washer Pro (go to Firetrust.com). You won't regret it. All these auto-update regularly or you can set for more frequent updates. I haven't had a problem since I installed these 2 years ago.

Collapse -
I'm leaning towards...
by damom111 / October 21, 2006 12:08 AM PDT

Zone alarm security suite, but have another question. What is the mail Washer, and what does it do? thanks for everyone's suggestions and what they use. I have greatly appreciate it.
Stacey

Collapse -
MailWasher
by han00176 / October 21, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm leaning towards...

It's a great program for previewing your e-mail. It downloads your mail and seperates it into Friends list or Black list. You can also set filters to kick out other junk mail. It's basicly E-mail security, Anti-spam, Anti-virus program. Sort of traps the bad guys before they get to you system. You can get it at http://www.firetrust.com/. You can even track the origin of the spam

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.