Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The beginning of the end for Kazaa?

by TONI H / March 5, 2005 12:56 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The beginning of the end for Kazaa?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The beginning of the end for Kazaa?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So,
by duckman / March 5, 2005 5:21 AM PST

What will the freeloading, thieving moochers do now?

Collapse -
Find another way
by TONI H / March 5, 2005 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: So,

and another site.......and hope that the next one isn't so laden full of corrupt and virused to the max files.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LIMEWIRE!!!!
by dirtyrich / March 5, 2005 7:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Read a story in the UK about somebody trying to create
by Ziks511 / March 5, 2005 8:59 AM PST

a country out of Rockall, a tiny rocky island way off the coast of Scotland in the North Atlantic so that they could use it as the address of record for a file sharing program thus avoiding all the unpleasantness with the courts and recording industry lawyers. If there are no inhabitants there are no courts, and International Law is nothing if not glacial in its speed to resolve issues.

While this is not the same as home taping of either music or video, it is a fact of life and the less the recording industry struggles the less of a profile it has. JMO

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
I agree - up to a point.
by Paul C / March 5, 2005 9:40 AM PST
While this is not the same as home taping of either music or video, it is a fact of life and the less the recording industry struggles the less of a profile it has. JMO

True, but should the entertainment industry surrender all control over copyrighted material? That would truly mean the end of the ability of musicians, actors, etc. to make any worthwhile living at their professions.

That said, what is a shame is that the recording industry, instead of embracing file sharing and using the technology for their benefit, i.e., like ITunes, Napster 2.0 and the others, chose to fight file sharing in the beginning. Now that they've decided otherwise, it may be too late.

What the industry doesn't get is that its staying beholden to its old oligopolistic model hastened, not delayed, that model's destruction. Music (and to a lesser degree, movies) can no longer hope to remain a vertically integrated business where the companies control everything from the artists to the recordings, as well as the wholesaling and distribution of the finished product, reaping additional profit at each step.

For now, we'll leave aside the equally thorny issues of the quality of the product and the stupefyingly rampant "me tooism" of the companies...
Collapse -
We should not forget their blatant attempts to control
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2005 10:22 AM PST

and suppress new technologies even though those technologies have other uses besides copying their material. In fact, the other uses may be far more important than their stuff. Thus, the tail wags the dog.

Collapse -
I agree wholeheartedly KP.
by Ziks511 / March 7, 2005 3:55 PM PST

Most of the research on home taping that I am acquainted with has indicated that home taping has stimulated rather than depressed record, tape and CD sales. And the most prolific home tapers are the ones with the largest music collections, and they're taping mostly for themselves. The vast majority of people who received home recorded tapes when asked if they would buy the material they got on tapes said NO.

That being said, taping quality was not nearly as good as MP3s or CD-Rs. And prices are still going down. I paid $3.29 to $3.99 for pop records in the later 60's and that should translate to nearly $30.00 per CD now. Everything I buy is cheaper than that.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
The funny thing is
by dirtyrich / March 5, 2005 10:53 AM PST

that a couple of the music production companies had a hand in the development of file sharing. They were interested in finding ways to distribute music over the internet, but gave it up once they realized it would be difficult to control. I read this in an article that appeared during the downfall of Napster, unfortunately I lost the link when I had to reformat my computer (I doubt the article would still be up anyway).
Anyone else remember the promises of the recording companies that CD's would end up being cheaper than cassettes? CD's were supposedly much cheaper to produce, a fraction of the cost of tapes. Of course, that never happened.
IMO, the true cost of the CD's is based upon the new business model of the industry... shoving a performer or group into our faces until we get so darn used to them that we end up buying their CD. Instead of creating music, they're creating icons, and that requires a lot of money. Add to that the fact that many of the "icons" are transient (boy bands, Spice Girls are perfect examples), and they continually have to reinvest in the next big thing.
The other thing is that the internet market would put a HUGE dent into the CD market. Broadband internet connection and CD burners would allow even more people to give up on CD's. A significant portion of the industry is sunk into the production and packaging of the CD's themselves, and that portion of the industry would be hurt significantly.
Overall, I think profits would decrease, simply due to the a la carte nature of internet distribution (unless they only offered whole CDs). A lot of the trash out there would simply not be bought, consumers would buy the singles they choose and not a lot of extraneous songs they might not care about.
So, rather than trying to compete in the new medium, the industry is applying the scorched earth policy to the internet by destroying any and all file sharing capacity, good or bad, through prohibitive legislation.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!