Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

The Answer: To Build.

by JCS007 / April 13, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for the advice. Building a new computer will definately fit my needs. Also, I see it as a cheaper option in the future because i like to keep up with technology (I guess it's better to upgrade than trash a computer and start all over again).

Anyway, now that I've decided to build one, I was wondering if anyone knows of some good sites, books, etc. that are really informative when it comes to building the computer, details of computer parts, and anything else I should know. It's near impossible to find one really good source for info like that. Plus, I am sure there are others that want that same info, too.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Answer: To Build.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Answer: To Build.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few places to start...
by Detson / April 15, 2006 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: The Answer: To Build.

PC Gamer periodically publishes a 'build your own PC' guide; I've found this to be a really good place to start. www.tomshardware.com is also very informative, and the forums there are a great resource for PC builders of any skill level. Just remember to go slowly and keep yourself grounded (mentally and electricly)...it's hard to really screw up, so long as you don't force anything during the building process.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why start a new thread on same subject in same forum
by tomron / April 16, 2006 12:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: (NT) Why start a new thread on same subject in same foru
by Cluchetti / April 16, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

Because on these forums unlike others I use, people don't respond to your thread and it can be very annoying when you need some help or advise.

Anyways, some books I used for reference for building
my first computer were:

1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0072195584/sr=8-1/qid=1145280068/ref=sr_1_1/103-8227275-3686245?%5Fencoding=UTF8

2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596006632/qid=1145280179/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-8227275-3686245?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

3. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471755478/qid=1145280345/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-8227275-3686245?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

4. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?z=y&pwb=1&ean=9780321334169

These are all very helpful and great books or guides.

When you search for your computer's components, buy from "NEWEGG". Newegg.com
This is a great site. Great prices and deals, you just won't get better prices anywhere else.

I just built my first pc thanks to all of these books above and it was a blast. Just have fun and don't be nervous.

You'll be thankful when you won't have to give your money to Dell or eMachines, when you can have your own custom built pc. Happy

Well since it seems that your not building your pc quite yet, please wait for AMD's socket "AM2" (google it to find out about it) and if your an Intel person,
Intel's Conroe processor. Amd's ofcourse are cheaper than Intel, and better if you play highend computer games.

I hope this helps and please, please, have fun!

Collapse -
Ok. Now that I've decided to build...
by JCS007 / April 20, 2006 2:49 PM PDT

I have a few more questions. Cluchetti has a good point: to wait for AM2. I figure that if I can get hold of AMD's new socket, then I won't be behind on the tech tree.

Now, I'd like to build a cheap, computer "for starters." I figure that I'll be making mistakes, so I may as well make mistakes on something not as expensive before I build a powerful PC. Though I want it too be cheap, I'd still like it to be able to perform certain tasks: store and play music, photos, and videos; be internet-friendly; be a school-friendly system; be able to modestly play some games(not necessarily Half-Life 2 at the highest resolution just able to play it).

So, that's what I want it to do. I was hoping to spend under $1000 for the computer itself (I don't need a monitor). Does anyone have any suggestions for specs or certain programs that I could use?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.