Laptops forum

General discussion

The Age Old PC Question

I know this is the most popular question asked on CNEt, and I'm sure many of you including myself who have been members of CNET (especially moderators) are frankly sick of this question, but I have to ask. Now please keep in mind I'm trying to do this to get a better understanding so I can situate myself with a pretty big decision, I am not trying to start the long time war again. Ok enough crap, the question is simply this, Windows or Macintosh? (I can hear the armies moving to the battlefield now)Ok bare with me while I provide some background information. It is time for me to buy a new laptop, I'm looking for a advanced performance machine (ultraportable to thin and light). I am coming from a total Windows/Linux enviroment, 98% Windows and 2% Linux. However Apple has impressed me lately and I do have respect for the company. There are several factors however that I need to address.

First off is hardware. Apple is not weel liked in companies with solid Windows platforms, correct? Sometimes very advanced users are seen as the brunt of jokes for having Macintosh, I have seen it happen before. Second is software which is a big issue. Lets start with the Operating System I am weel aware that I can run Windows on Macintosh a variety of different ways including Boot Camp and Virtual PC. However with Windows Vista coming out I don't know if I want to make the switch. Also with software is packages, I do play games, and I'm worried about software that is coded for the Macintosh, is it still true that there is a less then abundance of software for Macintosh, or do Macintosh owners just have to search in the right places?

The next issue I have is with digital freedom. I know with a PC I can format the hard drive place different versions of Windows I want on the machine, or even Linux. This is my question can I put Linux on a Mac and run it side by with Tiger. I mean Tiger is sort of like Linux a Unix foundation with a sweet GUI.

It all comes down to is I'm ready to take the plunge. Is Mac and Apple as inventive (please do not take this literally, I could not think of a better adjective) as Microsoft. Do they update to a point where you have the most cutting edge stuff at your finger tips. Should I stick with Windows and more importantly with Windows Vista? If I don't like my Mac is it easy to get rid of? And does it work with Windows based systems? I will not get rid of my desktop I love building my computers and wouldn't trade it for any computer you could give me (almost) will my Mac work nicely with my Windows machine, or other Windows machines like an Exchange server?

I like to thank everyone in advanced. I know it was a long thread but believe me this is only the tip of the iceburg that is going through my mind right now? Again I know it amuses most of us (myself included) when the Windows people and the Mac People go at it in World War 3. But please try to stick with opinions about the Macbook versus a Windows PC. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Age Old PC Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Age Old PC Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Long question, short answer. . .

In reply to: The Age Old PC Question

Ford or Chevy.

They both do the same thing only differently. No one can answer this question as they're all subjective.

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Long question, short answer. . .

There are questions that I asked that could be answered. For example can a Macintosh PC run Linux alongside Mac OS 10, do I have the same type of freedom that I do with a PC. Other questions liek software, is software an issue or is there enough software out their to keep a computer user satisfied, or is it mostly geared towards Windows enviroment users.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.