The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The age of games before DRM

Does anyone remember having DRM-free games?
Like the first few CD based no DRM games...

Did you ever pirate them? I remember copy-pasting a few DRM-free games to my hard drive and just enjoying them whenever I wanted, but I don't remember a major pass around of those games...

Just an interesting thought.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The age of games before DRM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The age of games before DRM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No....

In reply to: The age of games before DRM

They were using DRM way back in the Apple 2 days to stop you copying floppy disks you know...

Collapse -
I remember

I played a game called Quest for Glory that wasn't DRMed. It wasn't even on CD, just a floppy. They used Analog Rights Management - you needed the map on the box it came in to finish the game.

Collapse -
alot of games used this

In reply to: I remember

it worked.. till people got enough questions and shared the answers..

Collapse -
I gotta load up old DOOM

Collapse -
The First Protected Game I Came Across Was...

In reply to: I gotta load up old DOOM

...M.U.L.E. for the Commodore 64.

The original disc had no write ptotect notch so if you copied the game but left the notch uncovered M.U.L.E. would see the disc was unprotected and scramble a bit on the disc. That scrambled bit kept the game from loading.

The way to defeat the protection was to simply cover the notch...

Collapse -
Danger Mouse

In reply to: The First Protected Game I Came Across Was...

I had a danger mouse game for the commodore 64 where you start off in a cage with a combination lock on it. You had to know the combination from the box or manual, I don't recall which, to get out and start the game.

Collapse -
Steam is the way to go

Is all about Steam baby, just login and have your games whatever you go, no more discs, no more reading errors, just download and play.
I try other digital distribution services but Steam is by far the best. Is the game is not on Steam I won't play it, simple.

I recommend you check out the digital downloads services, is Steam doesn't do it for you then try another one.

PS: I can't really recommend the EA Online Store because, they steal my games! (and I can't buy there if I'm overseas) Damn you EA!

Collapse -
Let's see...

I remember a tycoon game back in 1999 or something like that (it only ran on 95 and 98) which was DRM-ed.

Red Alert 2 was DRM-ed
I think there was a mario like DOS game which wasn't DRM-ed way back.

Collapse -
Non DRMed for me

was Alleycat. DOS games were the best *sigh*.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.