Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The 10 most notorious presidential pardons...

by C1ay / April 9, 2007 10:44 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The 10 most notorious presidential pardons...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The 10 most notorious presidential pardons...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting, yes.
by John Robie / April 10, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

The pardon I never was in agreement with is Pres Carter's "...pardon to those who avoided serving in the Vietnam war by fleeing the U.S. or not registering."

I'm thinking....we have a volunteer army now...but what if the draft had been in effect all along since the start of military actions in the last few years.

I like Pres Reagan's reason for the pardons of the two FBI guys:

"Reagan argued that America was generous to the thousands of draft dodgers who were pardoned for refusing to serve their country in Vietnam. "We can be no less generous to two men who acted on high principle to bring an end to the terrorism that was threatening our nation."

Collapse -
(NT) Very interesting, thanks C1ay
by grimgraphix / April 10, 2007 1:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
The most notorious in the modern era (IMO) was....
by Josh K / April 10, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

...Bush's pardon of Weinberger, because it involved a case Bush was personally involved in and in which he might have been called to testify. Pardoning Weinberger kept him from having to do that.

Collapse -
Golly, who would have guessed...
by EdH / April 10, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

that would be your pick? I am utterly astonished!

--Ed, the cartoonist who thinks he is a thinker!

Collapse -
and
by duckman / April 10, 2007 8:57 PM PDT

since the indictment was just BEFORE an election, no politics there.

Collapse -
Smirk all you want
by Josh K / April 11, 2007 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: and

Bush had a personal interest in seeing Weinberger pardoned.

And you may recall (though you've likely tried to block it out) that I have said more than once that I think Ford's pardon of Nixon was the right thing to do. I didn't think so at the time but I came to realize it later.

Collapse -
And of course the timing of the indictment
by duckman / April 11, 2007 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Smirk all you want

was coincidence.

Collapse -
I am referring to the merits of the indictment
by Josh K / April 11, 2007 10:00 AM PDT

Regardless of the timing. Bush stood to directly benefit from the pardon, which is why I cited it. The timing of the indictment is irrelevant to that.

Collapse -
Imagine if the prosecuter had a brain
by duckman / April 11, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

and did NOT reveal the indictment until AFTER the election. That would have had more to do with the possibility of NOT having a pardon

Collapse -
Again, irrelevant
by Josh K / April 11, 2007 11:02 PM PDT

My opinion was based on what actually happened, not what might have happened.

Collapse -
Granted, it's your opinion...
by EdH / April 11, 2007 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Again, irrelevant

but that doesn't make Duckman's commentary on the subject irrelevant. He's brought up a mitigating circumstance. Things could easily have gone differently.

It DOES matter if the pardon is forced in some way, does it not?

Collapse -
Forced?
by Josh K / April 12, 2007 2:41 AM PDT

Someone forced the President of the United States to do something he didn't want to do?

Interesting take on it.

Collapse -
Come on, Josh, you know what I meant...
by EdH / April 12, 2007 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Forced?

Circumstances make people do things a certain way all the time. Don't pretend to be naive.

Collapse -
I still think you're reaching, Ed
by Josh K / April 12, 2007 3:42 AM PDT

Weinberger was indicted in June of 1992 by the Independent Counsel. Bush pardoned him (and several other Iran/Contra figures) in late December of that year, after the election but before he had left office. The only thing I can see that could have made him feel "forced" was the fact that he lost the election and therefore would not have been able to spend the next four years claiming Executive Privilege.

Here is a link to the actual indictment:

http://www.pinknoiz.com/covert/walsh3.html

Collapse -
Perhaps a bit off topic....
by caktus / April 10, 2007 1:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
No inhaling
by duckman / April 10, 2007 9:03 PM PDT

got PAID

Collapse -
(NT) Wouldn't put it passed him.
by caktus / April 11, 2007 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: No inhaling
Collapse -
Brings up an interestjng dilemma...
by EdH / April 10, 2007 11:07 PM PDT

Which is worse, pardoning someone for political reasons or just outright selling pardons?

Collapse -
AHEM Ed,
by duckman / April 10, 2007 11:16 PM PDT

ALLEGEDLY sold pardons. Don't have a ride start with that one

Collapse -
Questions still remain...
by J. Vega / April 11, 2007 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: AHEM Ed,

Questions still remain about the money paid to Hillary's brother, Tony Rodham. He returned some of the money, but US Bankruptcy Court Judge Marian Harrison of Nashville ordered Tony Rodham to respond by March 16 to the allegation that he failed to repay a loan of $107,000 from the couple pardoned by Clinton, according to attorneys involved in the case.

Collapse -
Preaching to the choir
by duckman / April 11, 2007 7:28 AM PDT

I have no doubt it was a money generating scheme. Just didn't want the usual suspect(s) taking this thread south

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?