General discussion

That Olde Tyme Religion?

More evidence of peaceful Muslims and their embrace of Christian "cultural centers". Look at what they do in the countries where they predominate, and you can know the truth of Islam, like all those who aren't Islamic but still in those countries. Don't let it happen to America. Islam is an ideology, unworthy to be considered a religion, more than any other destructive cult.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/deaconsbench/2010/11/oh-mary-christ-god-please-protect-us.html

Those were the desperate prayers of the Iraqis held hostage during mass on Sunday -- a crisis that ended in a bloodbath:

Around 5:20 p.m., as the Christian worshipers stood and recited "Upon this rock I will build my church," the gunfire started on the street outside.

Suddenly a large explosion rocked Our Lady of Salvation Church in Baghdad. Bullets whistled by. Some worshipers ran to the church basement. Mikhal darted into the priests' changing room. A barrage of bullets thundered in the main hall....

..."Oh Mary, Christ, God, please protect us," they whispered and sobbed.

The attack came during a Sunday evening Mass celebrating the church's founding. And even in a place where a sectarian war has killed hundreds in car bombings, executions and mass kidnappings, the seizure of the Syrian Catholic Church, with 120 worshipers inside, ranked among the worst acts in the country's recent history.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: That Olde Tyme Religion?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: That Olde Tyme Religion?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Kind of funny in a way....

You find a couple of dozen bad people that call themselves Muslim and paint the 1.5 billion Muslims of the world as evil. Some ******** like Fred Phelps comes along and you say his acts don't portray Christians as a whole because he's not really a Christian. The reality is that bad people come in all faiths.

It's exactly that uneducated religious intolerance that propagates religious hatred through the millennia. Thanks for highlighting that for us. Do us a favor though and keep it to yourself instead of teaching our children to hate others because their belief in God is different than yours.

- Collapse -
I "like" your comment

(maybe CNET forums needs to add a "like" button?)

- Collapse -
Listen to this...
- Collapse -
You DO see the word RADICAL

in your link don't you?

thoroughgoing or extreme, esp. as regards change from accepted or traditional forms

- Collapse -
have you never heard of...... The Spanish Inquisition?
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Happy

Look, American protestant preachers have railed against catholics and jews within the last 50 years in back woods churches. The Klan (listening to the message and converting it to violence) was over a hundred thousand strong in the 1930's in America. Neo-Nazis preach death to immigrants in the dark corners of Europe to this very day.

It is part of human nature for some to radicalize and proclaim that everyone who doesn't believe as they believe needs to be converted or destroyed. It is human nature to desire to control others. It isn't religion, it is the very worst of human nature. Religion is only used as a justification.

Except my religion of course. My religion is absolutely true and correct and anyone who doesn't believe in it can go...

Devil
- Collapse -
Sticks and stones may.....but words won't.

Who would you rather encounter on a dark street?..One who says "Accept my religion or face eternal fire", or one who says "Accept my religion or face the firing squad now." Wink

- Collapse -
Exactly, like Jesus said

"the blind lead the blind and both fall into the ditch". Blindness in part has happened to them because they refuse the truth, and therefore are blinded. It's all there in the Bible.

- Collapse -
It's all there in the Bible.

That's right...2 people read it...and they take away 3 interpretations of what is said.

- Collapse -
2 people

2 honest people read it and come away with the same interpretations.

- Collapse -
I know many honest, decent people

who still disagree on what the meaning is of scripture they read.

If you think honest people can't disagree, then you must believe that all but one of the multitude of different churches with different interpretations in the world are dishonest people.

- Collapse -
I have friends and family

and most of us disagree about one thing or another in scripture or in how the church works. The thing is I still recognize that they are Christians.
I don't always agree with James, Steven, or Kiddpeat but I know they are Christians, As long as people believe that the blood of Christ is the only way to salvation I can agree with them, and take communion with them.

- Collapse -
You name one condition only

yet there are groups that believe that that still believe everyone not in their specific ideology, with all their other conditions, will go to hell.

So how can that one condition be enough to accept everyone that believes in it? obviously for some it is not.

- Collapse -
all I can say

is the Blood of Jesus Christ covers all sin. Nothing else is needed. I can't speak for what others think.

- Collapse -
you can tell when

someone admits "yes, I know that's what it says, but....."

- Collapse -
the "but" means

they know what's right BUT don't bother me with truth! LOL

- Collapse -
So anyone that doesn't agree with your

interpretation isn't an honest person?

Diana

- Collapse -
no

I'm talking about the things that are easy to understand. There are other things that are harder to understand, so not talking about those. Consider a child. You tell him "do this..." or "don't do that..." and unless he's severely ********, he understands. He may object, he might even pretend ignorance or stupid if it's something he doesn't agree with, but he understands.

For instance, if you tell him to go clean his room, it means the same to both of you. He however might try and define that in degrees of cleaness, excuses for why he couldn't do it, priorities concerning something else he hopes was more important to you, argue if cleaning also includes vacuuming and removing dust. Yes, he may try and change things to his preference or to see how much he can skate on, but he knows what you meant by "clean your room".

In Christianity for instance, there are those who would argue with what's clear and obvious, such as baptism.

Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Romans 6:4 - Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Colossians 2:12 - Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

They'll come up with pithy statements like "a wet sinner is no better than a dry one" or "that means soul baptism" or "holy spirit baptism" as if any of that dismisses necessity of water baptism, and the clear examples of it in the Scriptures. They think bodies are buried by sprinkling maybe, or pouring, instead of fully covered. We'd sure have some stinking graveyards if that's the way things were "buried". There are other contortions not necessary to discuss, but the point is, even in religion there are those who deliberately disobey the obvious, trying to find some excuse to do so.

So, who is wrong. The one who does the obvious? Or the ones who find excuses to do things their own way instead?

At least in Christianity, it's a religion of persuasion and freedom of acceptance, not by force and oppression. When it has been misused in that way, people have stood against those and fought for what was right. Islam has always been an ideology of force, whether it's by unfair taxation when in control of a country, unfair social restrictions even beyond that required of it's adherents, it has always been engaged in oppression, and centuries have shown that is part and parcel of their agenda.

- Collapse -
I would rewrite one of your sentences this way...
At least in Christianity, it... has become... a religion of persuasion and freedom of acceptance, not by force and oppression.

One can not say that Christianity has always been about feel good values and friendly persuasion. The initial founding of, and the history of North America's New England colonies is proof enough that Christian persecution is a well established tradition. It is an American tradition that the Puritans came here to escape religious persecution. That was a persecution initiated by other Christians.

Religious persecution by muslims today, against other religions is nothing new to human history. Religions have worked to overthrow other religions throughout the history of religion. The current muslim issue just happens to be in the realm of yours and my life time.
- Collapse -
Having a flashback to the past again?

Move on up to what's happening today.

- Collapse -
what is happening today, is a SMALL group...

... of radicalized, religious fanatics, are listening to a few imams with delusions of grandeur.

What is not happening today is that everyone who follows Islam is out to get me and you. Well... me at least. Wink

- Collapse -
what does it take

to make you all understand that THIS IS THE WAY THEY BELIEVE> It isn't just radicals and a few. Look at any Muslim state, look at what Muslim men have done to their own daughters that are too westernized! And you guy's that don't believe in Christ, well guess what you all will be first on the list to be done away with, Oh wait they will give you the chance to become a Muslim, and since you don't believe in any God I imagine for the chance to live you will accept and become a good Muslim. No more. I am done.

- Collapse -
Did anyone here not understand OG's point ?

Did anyone here not understand that she believes that a few bad apples means all apples are bad?

- Collapse -
why don't you do some checking

instead of believeing what others tell you? I know what Muslims believe and what they are taught! Do you? No, I didn't even need to ask. Bye

- Collapse -
(NT) Stop believing what others tell me? OK.
- Collapse -
If communism

called itself a religion, they'd be defending it and all who supported it and wanted to impose it on others.

- Collapse -
They?

All 1.5 billion of them?

- Collapse -
Are you suggesting....

that all Muslims are Islamic extremists? There is no doubt that some of them are downright evil but claiming that all of them are bad is like saying ALL blacks rob banks just because some of them do.

- Collapse -
Consider Islam same as Communism

Once you do that, maybe a stand against it might start to make more sense to you, and the means be similar. Both are systems that want and believe they should rule the world and are willing to oppress any who disagree which they can gain power over. They are intolerant. They both engage in extreme means to enforce themselves on others. I suspect many who are in Islamic countries give lip service to it, do what's necessary, but no more than that. Deal with Islamism same as we reject Communism. We didn't go after millions or billions of people, we went after the system and those who give it the greatest support. We need a Cold War against Islam, until it's broken, and hopefully never recovers again.

- Collapse -
With all due respect...

that is also looking through Western eyes.

- Collapse -
(NT) I have no problem with that

CNET Forums

Forum Info