Speakeasy forum

General discussion

That Most Hated Company.

by James Denison / October 31, 2004 12:38 PM PST
DoubleClick - the king of internet tracking cookies

Internet marketing company DoubleClick Inc. (DCLK.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , which is suffering from depressed results in the face of pricing pressure from advertisers, on Sunday said it had hired Lazard Freres & Co. to evaluate options that could include a sale of the company.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: That Most Hated Company.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: That Most Hated Company.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They mean sale of our information!
by Diane Harrison / October 31, 2004 12:57 PM PST

They have goldmining down to a science. I'd hate to think what all they could sell with that transfer and to whom!

Collapse -
Re: They mean sale of our information!
by James Denison / October 31, 2004 10:59 PM PST

That is troubling, but weren't they already selling it anyway?

Collapse -
Re: They mean sale of our information!
by paul_buba / November 13, 2004 9:50 PM PST

CNET is guilty of trying to add this cr*ap to our computers. It seems that at least Doubleclick and Mediaplex are both trying to install themselves when I surf through CNET.

Guys... placing executable files on my computer to capture my surfing habits is unethical, harassing, inexcusable, unacceptable and hopefully in the not-so-distant future...illegal.

I am frankly very disappointed in the site that I visit so frequently. I can't believe they would stoop to this level. I trusted them (past tense).

For those of you at CNET responsible for this -

"Your mother(s) was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!"

Paul

Collapse -
CNet has tried ...
by Evie / November 13, 2004 9:56 PM PST

... to allow tracking companies to install executable tracking programs on your computer? I've refused cookies, but never encountered this.

I am bothered that certain important images for the navigation of the forums reside on a different server. Thus refusing images from third-party websites (an option in Mozilla) makes the forums difficult to follow. Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You don't really think it's a coincidence ...
by Bill Osler / November 14, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: CNet has tried ...

The fact that CNET's page structure, image hosting choices and such make it hard to completely eliminate the ads without also eliminating the images you need ... surely that's just coincidental. NOT!

I noticed the same thing when I tried to block images from some of the advertisers on the CNET site. I lost a lot of the little icons that help with navigation.

Collapse -
So long as I'm able to block the cookies ...
by Evie / November 14, 2004 9:01 AM PST

... I don't have a huge problem with the images. After all, the forums are free, so I don't see this as a huge invasion of my privacy ... or am I missing something?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Welcome
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2004 10:01 PM PST
the site that I visit so frequently

You show only one post and newly registered so must be a reader. Welcome to SE and feel free to contribe often.

BTW, insult from Monty Python...generic French/English baiting banter. Some of my favorite comedy.
Collapse -
Re: Welcome yes welcome
by netsky / November 14, 2004 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Welcome

SH the thinking man's conservtive

netsky(reid welch) the babbling fool of liberalism. I shall prove that momentarily in my way, as SH already did for his modest self in reply to you.

Paul, hope you make this place a regular home because you are a frank speaker.

BTW, unrelated but to illustrate my windiness which today is unmistably gusting:

Windows XP! Every few days some glitch occurs and this notice appears:

"WARNING: the system has recovered from a Serious Error. Click here for more details"

I click and read something incomprehensible to wit i make up sample "the framis binary over clacked the extension retraction of altbinariesuserabuseXPSP2,subset:uragoose"

Recalling the "GOK" (search that in cnet, Paul) of recent Bill Osler anecdote... what does that jumbo mean to me? Not anything a dummy can decipher.

Better I think, for me and my short temper, would the XP warning sayfor every instance of Serious Error "Cause of failure: GOK"

That would be Bill Gates, then. And if he doesn't know enough to make a stable operating system by now, the other "ggggggod" may not know, either?

THANKS for the DC heads-up. Pardon my welcoming ramble. It is par for me when an interesting, new or provoking personality appears. You are that in positive senses of all three words.

reid

Collapse -
Re: Welcome
by cbbrown / November 14, 2004 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Welcome

"Welcome to SE and feel free to contribe often."

contribe, is that some sort of entity out for blood against Native Americans? lol

Collapse -
Another darn typo
by Steven Haninger / November 14, 2004 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Welcome

Must learn to get fingers and brain in sink...er sync. You have good eyes...like a cop who can spot and an expired license tag at 1/2 mile.

Collapse -
in sink erator me
by netsky / November 14, 2004 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Another darn typo

my eyes are not in sync. Lousey vision and i just post up typos willy nilly because my degeneration of, uh, "pride in craftsmanship" runs ragged due mostly to poor sight and of course,,,, lack of patience to read carefully the mere details of spellings.

much unintended hilarity results, confustion too but what the hey---that is part of me this sloppness in spilling.

there, those last two- intentional for change, grin

Collapse -
Ask Lee
by Steven Haninger / November 14, 2004 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: in sink erator me

We need the following;

1. Spell check
2. Grammar check
3. Logic check
4. Hypocracy check
5. Naughty word check
6. Political correctness check
5. Parser to check our previous posts for inconsistancies in opinions we have expressed.

Collapse -
huh, yah, i like that. I'll bomb them all for my lacks
by netsky / November 14, 2004 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Ask Lee

grin!

I can reset fonts under IE accessibility but that messes up veiws of many other pages. I can purchase binocular glasses. Or sit rather closer to the monitor. Or work MUCH more carefully. Then out the window goes my spontaneous best and sloppy worst content, together. For, if i proof carefully i end up second-guessing my essay phrasing. And muck it up by over-wroughting.

While self-editing is a good thing to cultivate, it inhibits myself. I -could- compose in M. Works "word processor", but that thing inserts ugly fat quote marks i found by trial the other day. AND it is a layer of separation from spontaneous posting.

I'll bomb lee with those requests, though.. it's all his fault these faults of mine and... someone else must SUFFER...not just my few readers over my many typos and lost conjunctions.

cheerio and thanks

Collapse -
forgot to EMPHASIZE
by netsky / November 14, 2004 10:52 AM PST

that the absurd portion of the above posting content is said in what is called "MOCK SARCASM".

The ONLY target of the apparent sarcasm is myself.

I postscript this because if i don't i will surely come under attack for "annoying the forum and blaming others".

That will happen anyway, in foolish attempts to make po' lil nightowl netsky look like the jerk he really is not.. quite so much so in real life. No persecution complex, mr. d of the alphabet series.. it is a laughable fact.

SO i must qualify and wasteswasteswaste other's lives and time thereby!

Big old grin!

Collapse -
Re: Another darn typo
by cbbrown / November 14, 2004 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: Another darn typo

i was just having fun and i'll not say anything bad about the cops we all need to keep our society safe and running as smoothly as possible Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!